Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Ahh those were golden. I always saved them for aspirational trips, which I didn't end up taking. I think I only ever used one, on PVG-YVR, My first experience in international business class (xm'd 767, it was a great flight). Thanks to FT I learned how to get higher priority on the list, and I was the last one to clear.

Now you piqued my interest.

I vaguely remember something about higher upgrade priority for connecting pax whose upgrade had already cleared on the previous flight (e.g. a pax who had upgraded YYZ-YVR would have higher priority on the YVR-HKG leg vs. a pax starting in YVR, everything else being equal). But I can't remember any way to increase one's upgrade priority when departing from outstations?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Now you piqued my interest.

I vaguely remember something about higher upgrade priority for connecting pax whose upgrade had already cleared on the previous flight (e.g. a pax who had upgraded YYZ-YVR would have higher priority on the YVR-HKG leg vs. a pax starting in YVR, everything else being equal). But I can't remember any way to increase one's upgrade priority when departing from outstations?
That was an incorrect rumor. Check-in time mattered, which has a high correlation to whether you have another flight first. But there was no difference based on whether you had cleared the first segment.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was an incorrect rumor. Check-in time mattered, which has a high correlation to whether you have another flight first. But there was no difference based on whether you had cleared the first segment.
Hm, interesting. So the upgrade priority back then was just status > fare class > check-in time?

(If check-in time was the tie breaker, presumaby request time was irreevant?)

I only had a few years of experience dealing with SWUs/SSWUs, but various data points did suggest that the system was more complex than that.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:09 pm

15 years ago today, domestic Y class meal disappeared.

Waffles and eggs
Pasta

Pasta dish
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tracon
Only 15 years ago? I don't remember getting meals in Y in my early days flying back and forth to YUL for university, which were more than 15 years ago.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:03 pm

Maybe you were on that other airline?

The only article I could find is behind a paywall.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle20429842/
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

When Air Canada Leased two A340-500 From Brazil

This was at the YVR Air Canada Hangar. Super nice plane with big comfy Business Class seats
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
You're making me feel old. I can remember getting a hot breakfast in Y on YYC-YVR flights.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
2004/2005 System-Wide Upgrade (SWU) Certificate

2004/2005 System-Wide Upgrade (SWU) Certificate

Old Nov 2, 2020, 9:05 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Maybe you were on that other airline?
I flew both of them, mostly driven by price and somewhat by schedule. But definitely flew both of them in 2003-05. Maybe I had just already learned that airplane food was terrible and did my own thing for meals.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
AC actually owned those 345s and, after deciding they didn't want them, leased them to TAM.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:47 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I am picturing yyznomad 's living room (or maybe WC) walls using all of these old upgrade certificates for wallpaper.

While I recall what they looked like, I have none left and always burned through mine pretty fast. Even with the occasional 're-use' opportunity. I do not miss those days.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr

This was at the YVR Air Canada Hangar. Super nice plane with big comfy Business Class seats
That looks like an A340-300 to me...exterior and interior.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:09 am

Since Wardair eventually ended up under the AC umbrellla....
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...uary-1.5788258
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:00 am

The seats shown above were on the A340-300. The -500s had green angled lie-flat seats in the executive first cabin. The seats were not comfortable in the "lie-flat" position and fortunately never made it on to the rest of the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.