Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:37 am

YYZ October 11, 1992
aeroman380 and YYCNoob like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:37 am

If you were a kid in the 80's, you may have had the chance of getting one of these fantastic LEGO Air Canada souvenirs! LEGO made 2 Air Canada sets, 610-2 Rescue Helicopter: from 1987

and set 611-2 Air Canada Jet Plane from 1988.

Mega Bloks, a Canadian LEGO knock-off brand, has also made 3 little Air Canada sets for kids as well. My brother and I actually had the first two of these when I was about 4 years old, so these were available in the late 90's.

Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Just discovered this thread, since I don't fly anymore (who does!) and rarely come into Flyertalk.

But I can probably max out in the reminiscing department with a very unique angle - in that I wrote a monthly column for the Canadian Airlines inflight magazine for several years - some of you will have read it - and had a radio show on the inflight entertainment system of Air Canada sometime subsequent - and some of you will have listened to it!

Savvy researchers will take the time to find me. PM me LOL!
CP days are before my time, but if you're Alan Cross, just know I love you and I miss your show
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by NickLafreniere1
If you were a kid in the 80's, you may have had the chance of getting one of these fantastic LEGO Air Canada souvenirs! LEGO made 2 Air Canada sets, 610-2 Rescue Helicopter: from 1987

and set 611-2 Air Canada Jet Plane from 1988.

Mega Bloks, a Canadian LEGO knock-off brand, has also made 3 little Air Canada sets for kids as well. My brother and I actually had the first two of these when I was about 4 years old, so these were available in the late 90's.

Pretty cool. Do you still have them?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:31 pm

Not anymore (I got rid of all my childhood LEGO collection a few years back), but you can find them on ebay. As for the LEGO, the parts used are quite basic and could be found easily today. You could also find a reproductions sticker sheet to finish it off as well
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:06 pm

50 years ago today.
April 25, 1971
Air Canada inaugurated B747 service from YYZ-YVR.

There was a brief clip on Global BC news this evening.

20:45 in the video.

Last edited by tracon; Apr 25, 2021 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by tracon
50 years ago today.
April 25, 1971
Air Canada inaugurated B747 service from YYZ-YVR.

There was a brief clip on Global BC news this evening.

20:45 in the video.
Very cool. I wonder what the route was? YYZ-YVR-HKG perhaps?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:03 pm

Probably just YYZ-YVR-YYZ.
CP ran the Pacific in those days.
Not to mention that a 747-100 couldn't do YVR-HKG nonstop.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by NickLafreniere1
Not anymore (I got rid of all my childhood LEGO collection a few years back), but you can find them on ebay. As for the LEGO, the parts used are quite basic and could be found easily today. You could also find a reproductions sticker sheet to finish it off as well
Cool. Good suggestion for those who don't care about the original box!
I'm sure it goes for a pretty penny on eBay... will check it out!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:12 am

Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:41 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
But how many of those certs did you manage to use?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
But how many of those certs did you manage to use?
SSWUs were gold and never wasted. Didn't track SWUs or NAUs although I know both were used quite a bit. I recall at times they allowed SWU and NAU on tango fares to CDN & US destinations.

On a separate note, anyone remember the Super Elite connection newsletters?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by mileageking
SSWUs were gold and never wasted. Didn't track SWUs or NAUs although I know both were used quite a bit. I recall at times they allowed SWU and NAU on tango fares to CDN & US destinations.
?
This reminds me of the delay in receiving the certs which would typically occur, and the tricky negotiation that used to occur with a concierge, with earned but not delivered SSWU's. My wife and I were caught in this when we were traveling to and from NZ. Andrew Yui was involved and - credit to him - he emailed the YVR team and we got the upgrade without the certs on the OB, the certs were later couriered to our home, forwarded by a friend to us in NZ, and arrived a couple of days before the flight home (which incidentally started in CHC an hour before the devastating Christchurch earthquake of 2011 with us transiting through AKL) for the successfully upgraded flight. The switch to eupgrades is better, but as noted elsewhere occasionally the SSWU would not be lifted and they could be 'repurposed' for future flights! There again I have had favorable glitches with the eupgrade system too.
mileageking and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
This reminds me of the delay in receiving the certs which would typically occur, and the tricky negotiation that used to occur with a concierge, with earned but not delivered SSWU's. My wife and I were caught in this when we were traveling to and from NZ. Andrew Yui was involved and - credit to him - he emailed the YVR team and we got the upgrade without the certs on the OB, the certs were later couriered to our home, forwarded by a friend to us in NZ, and arrived a couple of days before the flight home (which incidentally started in CHC an hour before the devastating Christchurch earthquake of 2011 with us transiting through AKL) for the successfully upgraded flight.
I had a similar situation once to LHR. Concierge was able to help me out and I gave the cert upon my return.

The switch to eupgrades is better, but as noted elsewhere occasionally the SSWU would not be lifted and they could be 'repurposed' for future flights! There again I have had favorable glitches with the eupgrade system too.
Yeap

Still have the Oct 22 2010 email on transition from certs to eUps.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
This reminds me of the delay in receiving the certs which would typically occur
That problem, unfortunately, is not much of a throwback.

I'm short 80 threshold eUps that I earned in March. The terms say they'll be awarded within 72 hours. Aeroplan is ignoring inquiries from the Executive Center / Customer Relations.

Some things never change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.