Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Throwback Thursday

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
This reminds me of the delay in receiving the certs which would typically occur, and the tricky negotiation that used to occur with a concierge, with earned but not delivered SSWU's. My wife and I were caught in this when we were traveling to and from NZ. Andrew Yui was involved and - credit to him - he emailed the YVR team and we got the upgrade without the certs on the OB, the certs were later couriered to our home, forwarded by a friend to us in NZ, and arrived a couple of days before the flight home (which incidentally started in CHC an hour before the devastating Christchurch earthquake of 2011 with us transiting through AKL) for the successfully upgraded flight. The switch to eupgrades is better, but as noted elsewhere occasionally the SSWU would not be lifted and they could be 'repurposed' for future flights! There again I have had favorable glitches with the eupgrade system too.
Andrew was certainly a big help for many of us back in the day. The timing of getting the wallpaper certs was often half the stress of securing the upgrade.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:45 am

September 1991
YXY Time Air F-28

aeroman380 likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 10:51 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
My first flight in an F-28 was in one of these beasts from YYC to YVR in the before the Before Times.

My buddy was flying right seat and invited me up front for the duration. A very nice evening approach into YVR with a setting sun. After we landed and completed post-flight, I discovered that Ms. Boh was choked because I "disappeared".

Seriously, where could I have gone? What was this, that awful movie Flightplan?
Old May 18, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tracon
September 1991
YXY Time Air F-28

Nice.
Did you go to different airports/locations at the time to plane spot, or just happened to be there and decided to take pics?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did you go to different airports/locations at the time to plane spot, or just happened to be there and decided to take pics?
Used to live in YXY. The F-28 must have a regular charter for a while.
It's not likely I'd be on that side of the airport with a camera unless I knew it was coming.

Also from YXY, Sept. 1991
740 C-GJPW

aeroman380 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is a great thread, I've really enjoyed reading through it today. Here's my first contribution:

YYZ - August, 2007:

Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
This is a great thread, I've really enjoyed reading through it today. Here's my first contribution:

YYZ - August, 2007:
Nice. Isn't that around the time that transborder/international AC flights started going out of hammerhead?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2011 J Eastbound Transcon Lunch/Dinner Menu [469 CARA EAST XLH HM-NJCIC 10 11]

2011 J Eastbound Transcon Lunch/Dinner Menu
469 CARA EAST XLH HM-NJCIC 10 11

One menu card, double sided

Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I just saw someone with an AC at-home printed BP. I can't remember the last time I saw that. Seriously, in the past few years, thousands of people I've watched board or walk past me on the plane, and I can't think of seeing anything but kiosk/card stock BPs and mobile BPs.

It gave me nostalgia for having to remember to print BPs before going to the airport, and the one time I couldn't print my BP at the office in IAH because I didn't have printer access and everyone had gone home for the day, and AC staff had left the check-in counter because it was after the cutoff (this was before mobile BPs were permitted for TB travel)... Thankfully I was able to have someone from the AS or F9 desk next door page an AC staff member to come back and print me a BP, but I was worried about being stuck there overnight.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I just saw someone with an AC at-home printed BP. I can't remember the last time I saw that. Seriously, in the past few years, thousands of people I've watched board or walk past me on the plane, and I can't think of seeing anything but kiosk/card stock BPs and mobile BPs.

It gave me nostalgia for having to remember to print BPs before going to the airport, and the one time I couldn't print my BP at the office in IAH because I didn't have printer access and everyone had gone home for the day, and AC staff had left the check-in counter because it was after the cutoff (this was before mobile BPs were permitted for TB travel)... Thankfully I was able to have someone from the AS or F9 desk next door page an AC staff member to come back and print me a BP, but I was worried about being stuck there overnight.
Huh. I remember a time where mobile was not permitted for YYZ TB, but not for TB in general.

But after reading Air Canada introduces paperless boarding pass for mobile check-in users, it's likely because that changed sometime between 2007 and 2012 when I started flying.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh. I remember a time where mobile was not permitted for YYZ TB, but not for TB in general.

But after reading Air Canada introduces paperless boarding pass for mobile check-in users, it's likely because that changed sometime between 2007 and 2012 when I started flying.
The incident I mentioned above most likely took place in 2013, probably March or April. I'm not sure what was permitted in each place specifically, but definitely still needed a paper BP to do IAH-YYC at that time.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The incident I mentioned above most likely took place in 2013, probably March or April. I'm not sure what was permitted in each place specifically, but definitely still needed a paper BP to do IAH-YYC at that time.
Now you have me curious.

Mobile Boarding Pass on US-bound flights

So there was definitely a point where it varied heavily based on where you were.

I guess AC didn't have a "useful" app for so long that it never really came up for me.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Now you have me curious.

Mobile Boarding Pass on US-bound flights

So there was definitely a point where it varied heavily based on where you were.

I guess AC didn't have a "useful" app for so long that it never really came up for me.
It really took a long time for mobile BPs to become universally accepted, or close to it.

I remember the first time I had one (November 2007, on my BlackBerry with the scroll wheel on the side), they didn't even have any info beyond the QR code. Which made it weird going through CATSA, since they didn't have any scanners at the time.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
This is an amazing thread, can't believe I just found it! Nice to see these cool planes before I was born!!!

And I totally remember that exact same menu yyznomad posted as that was my first ever flight in AC J LOL. I had the salmon and was completely blown away by the three choices, the amazing dessert and getting a full can of soda... The nostalgia is so strong right now
Old Oct 17, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I just saw someone with an AC at-home printed BP. I can't remember the last time I saw that..
I always print mine! But I’m old. Also, paper BPs never run out of batteries.
Academic and painintheuk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.