Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until June 30, 2020

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/eupgrade-offer.html

Upgrades to Business Class

US

Europe/Middle East/South America

Asia/Australia
Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Foftravel
Thanks for the info. I think I am about 14 days from the first leg. Do you know what happens if I request eUpgrades now with the T fare, and then decide to upfare tomorrow. Would I have to re-request the eUpgrade to 'eliminate the co-pay', or will the system recognize that I've switched fares and should not pay the co-pay?

I'm looking at two flight segments:

AC 8 07JUN 4 HKGYVR 1935 1625
AC 15 15JUN 5 YYZHKG 1000 1325 16JUN 6

If there was a reasonable chance of an upgrade, I was planning to upfare to the lowest Flex available.

Foftravel
I'm assuming the dates/flights are:
AC 8; June 7, 2018 - J5P0R0
- 5 available business class seats
- will likely need to wait until the gate to be upgraded
- O9N7 - lowest premium economy available. Your best strategy is to upfare the to lowest premium economy as upgrading from premium economy to business takes priority over flex to business. Cabin also trumps status.

AC 15; June 15, 2018 - J9P3R0
- at least 9 business class seats - likely need to wait until gate if buying flex or lowest premium economy
- if you upfare to latitude or flexible premium economy, then you can confirm upgrade immediately
- O9N8 - lowest premium economy available. Your best strategy is to upfare the to lowest premium economy as upgrading from premium economy to business takes priority over flex to business. Cabin also trumps status.
jc94 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:20 pm

Are cost of eUpgrade credits fixed or do they change closer to T-24?

I read about it being fixed to a fare, currently my flight would cost 5 eUpgrades on a comfort fare, apparently there is two categories of comfort so not sure how I got caught in the lower end of the fare.

Anyway, wondering if it would be consistent until day of departure (fare determines it) or will it change if still available closer to check in.

Also, because I paid for a preferred seat, would I get a refund if I use my eUpgrade credit successfully into business class?

TIA!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
eUpgrade credit costs are fixed, and will not change unless they launch a promotion (which I would not expect).
an1030 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by an1030
I read about it being fixed to a fare, currently my flight would cost 5 eUpgrades on a comfort fare, apparently there is two categories of comfort so not sure how I got caught in the lower end of the fare.

Anyway, wondering if it would be consistent until day of departure (fare determines it) or will it change if still available closer to check in.

Also, because I paid for a preferred seat, would I get a refund if I use my eUpgrade credit successfully into business class?

TIA!
Comfort already gives you a preferred seat. Did you pay again for one?

canadiancow and an1030 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
eUpgrade credit costs are fixed, and will not change unless they launch a promotion (which I would not expect).
I see, thanks! Is there a way to tell what kind of Economy I would be booking into (e.g. M vs G, etc.)?

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Comfort already gives you a preferred seat. Did you pay again for one?

Edit - currently looking at this chart and I cannot see why this upgrade would cost 5 as there is no reference to that for a Canada-US bound flight.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...calculate.html

Ah, you are right, I was thinking of Flex! In that context, would a refund apply?

Edit - looking at this chart, how come I have an option for 5 if it does not fall into any of the categories for a Canada-US bound flight?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...calculate.html
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
It would probably help folks if you were to tell them what flight you are on and where you are learning that it will take 5 credits to UG.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Preferred seats are refunded immediately
if an eUp clears.

It’s one of the few things AC IT is consistently good at.

YYZ YYT is one of the routes I’ve seen as 5 in Comfort. Though it probably depends which of the 57 varieties of fare class you also book into.
AC has a small upgrade option that lets you see all the options and credits when booking, as well as sometimes letting you pick a higher class for less eUps (ie H over G).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:16 pm
F 1

There's a promotion at the moment that allows certain routes to be upgraded for 5 eUps

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:24 pm

Ah, I guess the promo makes sense then! The next travel for this year will be YYZ to DFW
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
What is with the requirement now for ELEVEN e-upgrade credits for a +1,500 mi itinerary!? AC gives me a multiple of 10 each year (40-50 credits) and I have always been able to use them all for my trips YYC-YYZ or YOW. Now I am sitting with my last 10 credits in my account and they're completely useless on any sort of Flex fare even! BRUTAL!!! Am I wrong to think they unfairly changed the rules of the game mid-year!? So angry.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
What is with the requirement now for ELEVEN e-upgrade credits for a +1,500 mi itinerary!? AC gives me a multiple of 10 each year (40-50 credits) and I have always been able to use them all for my trips YYC-YYZ or YOW. Now I am sitting with my last 10 credits in my account and they're completely useless on any sort of Flex fare even! BRUTAL!!! Am I wrong to think they unfairly changed the rules of the game mid-year!? So angry.
"We're not happy until you are completely pissed off."
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What used to be 10 is now 8.

What used to be ineligible to upgrade is now 11.

How exactly have they hurt you?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What used to be 10 is now 8.

What used to be ineligible to upgrade is now 11.

How exactly have they hurt you?
Ineligible for upgrade? I get the benefit of no co-payment, but I was always consistently able to upgrade either my Tango (now Standard) fare with a co-pay + 10 credits. This idea of 11 credits when they give you multiples of 10 is maddening. I better get some multiple of 11 credits for next year's qualification.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ineligible for upgrade? I get the benefit of no co-payment, but I was always consistently able to upgrade either my Tango (now Standard) fare with a co-pay + 10 credits. This idea of 11 credits when they give you multiples of 10 is maddening. I better get some multiple of 11 credits for next year's qualification.
Tango upgrade used to not permitted all, it may not even be a promotion with Basic on many routes.

But if it’s now 11 and you have 10 why don’t you phone and ask about the cost to update to Flex or high Flex or comfort or whatever will only need 10. Heck it may be less than the copay.

And amounts won’t change. There’s a reason AC has 6/11/26 etc for many of their routes credits when they give them out in multiples of 10 and it’s not to make them easy to use up (unless one buys latitude).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yeah it's been like this for years regarding the multiples of 10 at higher tiers, along with odd numbered eUp requirements.

For example, when eUps were introduced in 2011, it was 6 eUps for one way Latitude TATL<5,000 Miles. At around 2013/14, the eUp inflation occurred and it became 11 eUps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.