Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I print it to a .pdf file then it can't run off the page
Huh? That's exactly what I tried, too.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Huh? That's exactly what I tried, too.
Check your printer settings?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Check your printer settings?
This is silly. I don't need to check my printer settings. I don't need to print a PDF onto a tabloid sized sheet or onto a landscape legal sheet. The page area is larger than any "normal" sheet of paper used anywhere in the world. The content just doesn't fit.

Here's what the fare summary looks like when you print it. On paper or to a PDF.

Air Canada - Fare Summary.pdf

Edit: Yes, that's 3 pages for a dozen lines of numbers.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This is silly. I don't need to check my printer settings. I don't need to print a PDF onto a tabloid sized sheet or onto a landscape legal sheet. The page area is larger than any "normal" sheet of paper used anywhere in the world. The content just doesn't fit.

Here's what the fare summary looks like when you print it. On paper or to a PDF.

Attachment 17741

Edit: Yes, that's 3 pages for a dozen lines of numbers.

Hmmm, all that WHITE SPACE. Is AC offering a Carbon Offset $$$ credit on tickets due to the extra trees needed?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Well lets look on it from AC's point of view. They've clearly made enough improvements since January's launch that bookings are, at least, possible!

It's not as if companies have ever failed because their web based primary customer interface...oh.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:01 pm
Suspended

So, has anyone seen the "Compare our Fare options" buttons?

Did they fall of the train on the way to their new home?

Does Air Canada no longer want you to consider buying Premium Economy Flexible or Business Flexible?

Yes, I know what you're thinking, click "Premium Economy". Well, you'll get this

https://beta.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...tinations.html

See, Old versus New.

Attached Images   
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Found it. Instead of the formerly obvious buttons to see Lowest vs Flexible, now you have to click the actual fare.

Then you get this.

Attached Images  
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SEMM
It's back!

Seen on the AC new site this morning
Attached Images  
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Seen on the AC new site this morning
Looks like I should make some time to tell them what I think...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Looks like I should make some time to tell them what I think...
I did this back when it first 'launched', but they fixed precisely 0 of the problems I noted, of course. Shocking, I know.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:19 am

Anyone else having trouble accessing the "new" website right now? Guess it's new and unimproved...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Time travel option?

Apparently AC now offers the option to travel back in time. I was looking to book a flight back to YYZ later today and the first date I am provided for departure is yesterday!

Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar
The old web site has huge problems with how it does (or doesn't) keep you logged in when using Safari. Their inability to handle something as basic as this is so bad it is comedic. Comedic alternating with wanting to punch your screen. But if you don't explicitly log out after being logged on, then you close the browser, open the browser an hour later, and go through a process up to the point it requires a logged in user to complete, it fails. But it fails to an error page, then will boot you back to the home page, then won't complete anything until you go hit the "log out" button. Even though you aren't logged in. As I said. Hilariously stupid.
This could be a security feature no? To compare, United just implemented a 5-crazy question authentication process. Chatting with call center agents it has been extra workload... forgotten answers, passwords, frustrated pax... But to their credit, they are towing company line without fail. 10 calls in the last week and every one of them knew the mantra to relay, and it seemed genuine that they drank the koolaid and believed it! No mixed messages where low-ranking employees crap on company policies under their breath, no sarcasm detected. The warning of pending change was posted very publicly by the airline months in advance, it took place on the date they announced, and everyone I've interacted with so far is onboard and bought in. This is a function of executive leadership, not technology. Recommendation? Short AC.

And another thing, when I am logged in, AC, you know that I am SE. So why do I have to re-enter that information when I am searching for upgradeable fares?
You might be purchasing fares for your granny?

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
Cookie
/n

In the world of airline websites, aircanada.com ranks among the worst (not that it was awesome before the beta launch).

Unable to do anything on the website with Google Chrome now.
Incognito works for me. AC stores all kinds of state information in your browser that might interfere with proper operation. Mind you, requiring the user to be technically adept in any way is really not good UX I'd suspect.

Why are they even calling it a beta? If they are directing public traffic there by default it is no longer beta. It is prod. Of course they should call it alpha.

Dear AC: you keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.
I don't think they mean to call it "beta" when they flip the switch finally. (although 2 false starts says to me it's stillborn)

It's probably just too much hassle to ask for DNS changes, and I suspect "beta.aircanada.com" is hardcoded everywhere in the new site, to the point where it's going to take a rewrite to clean it up to refer to "www.aircanada.com" or "aclegacy.lufthansa.com" or whatever...

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Add the GO FAR & Your World Awaits In the bottom to make it perfect.
This is what "gofar" means to me...
Attached Images  

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Aug 26, 2016 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Add the GO FAR & Your World Awaits In the bottom to make it perfect.
How bout

"Go nowhere fast" & "your ordeal awaits"
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: *G
Huge frustration last night trying to do some simple fare comparisons and seat availability for various dates - it used to so easy and fast, but no more. And I do not understand the massive font/page size particularly since (at least on my good old desktop), it takes forever to scroll.

More interestingly, I spoke to two TAs today, one small independent, one large chain, and both have been having huge problems with the TA site. The small independent has been constantly complaining to no effect, while I gather the chain has managed to revert to the old site. It's hard to believe that AC is not aware of all this and seeing revenue issues - the silence from them is deafening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.