Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm not offended, more amused. You're right that technology moves fast, but I think the differences you're thinking about are less applicable to this discussion. Sure, I know very few people my age (31, by the way) who Snapchat, which I think is popular with a lot of people in their 20s, whereas perhaps kids like you who are still at university already think Snapchat is for lame old people.

And if you wanted to tell me no one under 25 wants to use a desktop anymore and want everything to be done through an app on their phone, so AC shouldn't even have bothered with a new website, that would be an interesting discussion.

But the complaints I have about the website (and I think you'll find many others have expressed the same elsewhere in this thread) are much more fundamental. They're basics of design, in terms of clear presentation of information, that have been poorly executed in this case.

And I know how old (exactly or roughly) some of the other people who've said the same thing are (either in this thread or offline), and the range, relative to my age, is about -5 to +35...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:22 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I have had it since forever....

I don't have much problem with design.. I am however.... pretty rattled with how poorly optimized it is..

I been trying to book J TPAC for 15 minutes and this constant lag is annoying.

Do they at least adjust the brightness based on your destination to help prevent jet lag?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
By the way, Jack, go check out the UA and DL websites. Search for a flight and see how they compare to AC. I'd argue each presents the information in a way that's clearer and easier to assimilate than AC's. UA also offers filters right there on the side. Even the AA site, which I don't think is great, is better than AC's.

And none of their are laggy like AC's.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I'm not offended, more amused. You're right that technology moves fast, but I think the differences you're thinking about are less applicable to this discussion. Sure, I know very few people my age (31, by the way) who Snapchat, which I think is popular with a lot of people in their 20s, whereas perhaps kids like you who are still at university already think Snapchat is for lame old people.

And if you wanted to tell me no one under 25 wants to use a desktop anymore and want everything to be done through an app on their phone, so AC shouldn't even have bothered with a new website, that would be an interesting discussion.

But the complaints I have about the website (and I think you'll find many others have expressed the same elsewhere in this thread) are much more fundamental. They're basics of design, in terms of clear presentation of information, that have been poorly executed in this case.

And I know how old (exactly or roughly) some of the other people who've said the same thing are (either in this thread or offline), and the range, relative to my age, is about -5 to +35...
Oh Good, glad you wont offended. (I was worried there for a second)

I dont know about NA demographic enough to comment regarding "No one under 25 wants to use desktop anymore"

But I do know... No one(well.. almost no one) under 30 wants to use a desktop in China outside of work as most site's ecommerce revenue today are at least 80-20 split on PC-Mobile, PC side heavily skewed to 40+ age demo
That trend may or may not have started in NA - it just might not be strictly shift to mobile site

But who knows what comes tomorrow. I was at a BBQ event at UBC today and everyone is messaging each other on Wechat/WatsApp/FB. (With facebook bot feature coming.. I suspect that's where people will book tickets in the next three to five years - AI bots in messenger)

By the way, Jack, go check out the UA and DL websites. Search for a flight and see how they compare to AC. I'd argue each presents the information in a way that's clearer and easier to assimilate than AC's. UA also offers filters right there on the side. Even the AA site, which I don't think is great, is better than AC's.

And none of their are laggy like AC's.
I have used UA/AA/DL before several times.

But I think design is such a controversial element as In user testing I have had one user who love the layout while the other said its a POS and hated it so much she said just give me the old site .

As for me, UA flight display page maybe slighter better vs what AC has now design wise, I do think you have a point at price font size being overkill.
But I believe I got all of the information equally fast on both sites.

There are also certain aspects of UA site I think is worse VS AC
1. Specials
2. Mileage Plus
3. Flight Status and Information page

That said however , we are completely in sync on laggy issue.
Performance is inexcusable... you are 100%.. positively.. absolutely spot on that. AC's lagginess is just as pathetic on PC as it is on Mobile.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
Maybe some others who work in the industry who knows much more than me- a noob in training , can share some deep insights as well.(You know who you are :P)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 6, 2016 at 12:01 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: *$ Green
I really like the flight search engine from the UA website.

I like the old AC page design for flight option display, but it can't beat UA's because the latter shows much more useful information.

But it's just so dumb.

Even things like "check in" on the new website is just a redirect to the old website check in page. To me that shows that the initial idea for the website remodel was a marketing / design one, with no useful ops / IT considerations.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
On a positive note, in case it hasn't been mentioned in the 600+ posts, I like the receipts that are given with the new web site much better than the old ones.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AC S100K
I note that much of the discussion here uses the word "design" to discuss the aesthetic elements of the UI. That's too bad.

When engineers are taught "design matters", I'm hopeful that the relative size of typefaces isn't the foremost consideration.

Frankly, at this point, I care little about all that. I'd just like to be able to capably plan, book and manage flights--three things at which that the "beta" is less functional than its predecessor.

Not that UIs aren't important. They certainly are. But a great UI does little if the underlying content and functionality fails the user.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by The Lev
On a positive note, in case it hasn't been mentioned in the 600+ posts, I like the receipts that are given with the new web site much better than the old ones.
The PDF that's attached with the confirmation email is indeed great. It's the only genuine improvement I can think of, if I'm honest.

Just don't try to print the summer from the website once you complete your booking
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Our age gap? How old do you think I am?
Well you were born in 1723...

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
When engineers are taught "design matters", I'm hopeful that the relative size of typefaces isn't the foremost consideration.
Engineers are taught to hire designers.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Exactly.

^
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:49 pm

"Design" doesn't mean "Graphic design". That's my point.

If you mean to tell me that engineers are no longer taught that they are designers, then the future is bleaker than I thought.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:51 pm

I note that much of the discussion here uses the word "design" to discuss the aesthetic elements of the UI. That's too bad.

Frankly, at this point, I care little about all that. I'd just like to be able to capably plan, book and manage flights--three things at which that the "beta" is less functional than its predecessor.

Not that UIs aren't important. They certainly are. But a great UI does little if the underlying content and functionality fails the user.
Design is a broad term. A civil engineer can "design" an important structural component of a bridge. An artist can "design" a company logo. And so on.

My complaints above related specifically to the UI, which is more of an aesthetic issue.

There are plenty of complaints about the content and functionality of the website, but a website can function terribly and look great. Or it can look terrible but work wonderfully.

If you mean to tell me that engineers are no longer taught that they are designers, then the future is bleaker than I thought.
Well you were born in 1723...
Pushing 400, yet my frequent use of moisturisers keeps me looking not a day older 245!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I personally amnot convinced that engineering design can be taught in a university environment, fact is, it's an important component of the curriculum. And taken quite seriously by accreditation bodies. Mind you, one probably can make a case that these bodies take themselves way too seriously, but then that's another story.

Previous posters should have explicitly referred to *graphic* design. Which is a relatively minor subset to design in general. Although often themost visible to non-engineers.

But yes, one designs a wing, a plane, an automobile. Including what's under the hood.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
While I personally amnot convinced that engineering design can be taught in a university environment, fact is, it's an important component of the curriculum. And taken quite seriously by accreditation bodies. Mind you, one probably can make a case that these bodies take themselves way too seriously, but then that's another story.

Previous posters should have explicitly referred to *graphic* design. Which is a relatively minor subset to design in general. Although often themost visible to non-engineers.

But yes, one designs a wing, a plane, an automobile. Including what's under the hood.
The difference with software is that the most talented designers I've worked with would create the entire user-visible experience.

In Android terms (because I'm most familiar with it), that means creating layout XML files, and dependencies, such that they can be successfully run through aapt.

Typical designers provide mocks, that I then turn into the aforementioned XML, but I'm still not "controlling" the design.

It's generally not my job to figure out where a text field should appear, or how big the text should be. I'll certainly provide feedback if I think the design is stupid, but I am not doing "UI design".

I definitely "design" software, but I don't think that's the definition of "design" we're discussing.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:28 pm

And how do you think AC IT management defines the term?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.