Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by fin 645
Huge frustration last night trying to do some simple fare comparisons and seat availability for various dates - it used to so easy and fast, but no more........

....It's hard to believe that AC is not aware of all this and seeing revenue issues - the silence from them is deafening.

Not really. Someone over at HQ decided AC needed a new site. Sounds like a plan, and likely great in theory.

AC's problem is "execution". While many up there at HQ may dislike FT and some FTers, they do read the site. They also get feedback from TAs, from AC agents, and perhaps from a couple of important customers.

We all remember Air Canada made a decision to launch a new site a few months back.

Within minutes FTers were able to identify many issues including security ones. Either AC could not fix them properly and leave "that" beta version up and running, or they realized some serious work was needed (or FTers were canaries in the coal mine).....so back to the drawing board it went.

So here were are, forced to deal with BETA 2.0, with all the bloatware and sluggishness and other issues.

Air Canada could have done what SQ did and leave the option for the customer to TEST the beta and provide feedback. SQ had that "invitation" on the front page of their site for months.

Air Canada did what they wanted and pushed this thing out there, despite the issues that have been identified.

The impression Air Canada gives by doing this is that they are not interested is getting the BEST PRODUCT out their for their customers, they just want A PRODUCT out there.

Kinda sad, really. What a missed opportunity for delivering a great, easy to use, fast and accurate site.

Last edited by 24left; Aug 26, 2016 at 5:50 pm Reason: sp
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I just went to ac.com and WOWZA I have the old site back for the first time in weeks!

YAY!!!!! Thank you AC you've made me so happy.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I just went to ac.com and WOWZA I have the old site back for the first time in weeks!

YAY!!!!! Thank you AC you've made me so happy.
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Hmmm, I posted this upthread on Aug 20

Originally Posted by 24left
We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming.....

Attached Images  
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Fine here. Well I mean it sucks, but it loads.

New site. No regression option. Chrome.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
New website not honouring my discount code. Brilliant.
Update: tried incognito mode, no go. Couldn't even get to a quote - it did not recognize my Aeroplan # and password. After choosing "continue as guest", it gave me an error message and closed the session.

Last edited by Mauricio23; Aug 26, 2016 at 6:23 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
New website not honouring my discount code. Brilliant.
Update: tried incognito mode, no go. Couldn't even get to a quote - it did not recognize my Aeroplan # and password. After choosing "continue as guest", it gave me an error message and closed the session.
Good thing you weren't trying to spend money, amiright???
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
URL to old OLCI webpage.

Originally Posted by Bartolo
New and improved?

Did OLCI earlier this week. Two people on the same file. Only way to print boarding passes was to email a link to yourself but each boarding pass had to be sent to a different email. Could only print from emails. Lots of extra steps for something that worked pretty well in the past.
This morning was the first time I was unable to access the old website.

I tried to OLCI for a flight later this moring, but I was unable to enter any characters into the various fields - real pita. I can't close my browser since I have other tabs open that are needed for work I am doing.

Luckily I still had the old OLCI url in my history, and it work just great - really quick, unlike the current site that appears to run more slowly than molasses in the the winter.

For anyone who wished to use the old OLCI url, click on the following link:

https://res.aircanada.com/oci/start?lang=en
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
How is AC doing the re-direct? Can't we just grab the IP and link to something deeper than the landing page?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
How is AC doing the re-direct? Can't we just grab the IP and link to something deeper than the landing page?
Good question. I don't have time to figure that out at the moment, I'm pretty much full p for the next 32 hours. Maybe Sunday afternoon I'll bust out tcpdump and start spelunking through packets.

If you have some free time, then by all means, dig away!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by jaysona
Good question. I don't have time to figure that out at the moment, I'm pretty much full p for the next 32 hours. Maybe Sunday afternoon I'll bust out tcpdump and start spelunking through packets.

If you have some free time, then by all means, dig away!
It's not that I don't have the time...... it's that I'm doing other things. Right now I am typing this while finishing my last rollerblade lap around stanley park and playing Pokemon Go.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left

AC's problem is "execution". While many up there at HQ may dislike FT and some FTers, they do read the site. They also get feedback from TAs, from AC agents, and perhaps from a couple of important customers.
While they clearly have a problem with execution, I am not sure that's the entire story.

Did the operation have an objective? Why did they embark in this? To me if indeed that had an objective, it might have been beautifying, or at most advertising some side businesses such as rental cars. Was that really worth the mess they are into?

Back to old "if it aren't broken don't fix it." Oh well.

Looks like they are making too much money and they are looking for a way to spend somewhere?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
It wasn't a landing, it was a crash.

Oh wait... wrong thread.

Or not.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:01 am

It's just, I mean, beta means in testing right. You offered us the choice to go back, but it is gone now. I mean look, no one likes change, especially when something works perfectly. When you changed the colour scheme of your website to those that are found in the cabin interiors, it made the website look "dull". While it didn't change the functionality of the website, it was just a shock (which lasted about 30 minutes lol). I am sure somewhere down the line it will work a lot better...

A few things need to change in my opinion:

One thing I wish they would bring back would be the separate screen for when you search for flights. Furthermore, the pop-up for when you wanted to "modify" the search was really useful.

In the seat preview - great that they have it tabbed for whatever fare class you choose but the separate window the old booking style used to allowed a more, in my opinion, friendly interaction. Furthermore it allows continuous scrolling as opposed to when you close the seating chart brings you right back to the top.

Changing the date now takes way too long! Make a pull down menu for year and month please.

Also, please remove the "see more flights" option. I want to see all results, ALL!

Finally, and I only found this by fluke earlier this week, but say you give an overnight connection as an option, usually it is through Vancouver or Toronto. Make it known that should I choose that option indicate whether or not these flights qualify for the Air Canada stopover option. The first thing that comes to mind when I see you offer a set of flights which requires an overnight connection is "why"? Now there is a reason or incentive to some.

Air Canada, you made the website way too "rich" and also cluttered it. There was nothing wrong with it before, KISS, seriously. Richer is not always better, nor does it make things simpler.

EDIT: Make the fonts smaller!!! If I need a bigger font I will use the zoom function or the magnifying glass option from the control panel.

Last edited by yowstudent; Aug 27, 2016 at 7:35 am
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SEMM
If you want to give feedback directly to AC on the website here is the link that it just directed me to. I don't know if will continue to work but you might give it a try so you can vent directly to those who claim to be listening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.