Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changed my AC 788 J TXL-CPH-YYZ-YYJ AP flight to LH A330 F TXL-MUC-YVR-YYJ; bad move?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changed my AC 788 J TXL-CPH-YYZ-YYJ AP flight to LH A330 F TXL-MUC-YVR-YYJ; bad move?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
My flight is tomorrow so hopefully there is no pilot strike!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
My flight is tomorrow so hopefully there is no pilot strike!
I posted this last night

Originally Posted by 24left
Here we go again....

"Hundreds of flight cancellations are expected during a massive pilots' strike at Lufthansa

QUOTE:
"Tuesday's strike, the 13th in 18 months, affects long-haul passenger and cargo flights out of Germany from 0600 GMT (2 a.m. EDT) to 2159 GMT (5.59 p.m. EDT) on Tuesday, while Wednesday's 24-hour strike targets short-haul Lufthansa and Germanwings flights, it said on Monday......"

http://www.businessinsider.com/pilot...fthansa-2015-9

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25391332-post60.html

Hopefully all will be fine
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
not good....

FRANKFURT--Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA.XE) on Tuesday said it will cancel a 1,000 flights on Wednesday, when its pilots staged their latest walkout in a dispute over cost cuts, pay and retirement benefits.

The flagship carrier said it will operate 500 of the 1,520 Lufthansa flights planned for Wednesday, with around 140,000 passengers affected by the cancellations. Operations at its subsidiaries such as Germanwings, SWISS and Austrian Airlines aren't affected by the strikes, the airline group said.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/luf...ike-2015-09-08

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 8, 2015 at 10:13 pm Reason: add link, abreviate article
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Yep 476 tomorrow is cancelled. Ec261?

I cant reach lh either. I may have to call aeroplan.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

So LH rebooked me on the 10th. Now I'm out two hotel nights (past cancellation time for my room in MUC tonight).

I guess its time to learn about ec261. LH offered no compensation.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Can the AC concierges help in this situation?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They won't offer. Question is whether they'll argue that a strike falls outside the conditions. When I requested from AF after the last September strike, they paid no question asked.

Does not mean that LH will though. Question is a strike fall within "exceptional circumstances" Folks on the LH thread might have more information.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:46 pm

So LH rebooked me on the 10th. Now I'm out two hotel nights (past cancellation time for my room in MUC tonight).

If its Starwood and you are plat definitely call the hotel directly. I have had hotels cancel after the deadline in situations like this.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
They won't offer. Question is whether they'll argue that a strike falls outside the conditions. When I requested from AF after the last September strike, they paid no question asked.

Does not mean that LH will though. Question is a strike fall within "exceptional circumstances" Folks on the LH thread might have more information.

Indeed. Note post 306

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...trikes-21.html
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
How much time should i spend in the lounge? I actually have an overnight in MUC so I will have a lot of time to kill...
refer to the "maximizing" thread on LH forum.

I spent 45 minutes for tub with rubber duckie, 1.5 hr in the nap room (FRA), another hour and half for buffet and sit down dinner.

Onboard, they tried hard to convince me to have the famous omelette. Towards the end of the flight, purser asked me for comments about the flight. I am a *nobody.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

I feel like such a n00b for booking LH without knowing about the strike.

I called a bunch of numbers at LH, all did not work (ring with no answer in Canada, and the German numbers just immediately disconnected). I guess they had massive call volume.

Eventually I discovered that they have a dedicated first class line which I called. I got through in about 5 minutes. The thing that floors me is when they went to rebook me they tried to find award availability. They did not want to open up revenue seats for me; I think they did in the end, after elevation.

Personally I don't think a strike is an extraordinary circumstance. Settle your labor disputes without impacting your customers. If you are too cheap to do that I should get compensation. According to the LH thread compensation won't happen, maybe my hotel and expenses.

I almost always buy my tickets, so not having amex trip interruption insurance is new to me.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:02 pm

Totally after the fact and of no help to you, so slightly OT, but isn't that one of the features of the CIBC AE Visa - that it allows for trip interruption on reward flights? Perhaps I'm getting my T&Cs confused, but I thought that was why I always paid redemption fees on that card.

Hope it works out acceptably well for you! Perhaps you can find a cute German to distract you from the delay.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Totally after the fact and of no help to you, so slightly OT, but isn't that one of the features of the CIBC AE Visa - that it allows for trip interruption on reward flights? Perhaps I'm getting my T&Cs confused, but I thought that was why I always paid redemption fees on that card.

Hope it works out acceptably well for you! Perhaps you can find a cute German to distract you from the delay.
To be fair, I spent some time looking into this. Nitehawk mentioned the vendor AMEX.

Now I don't have enough energy to pull this up again but I did spend quite a bit of time on my phone looking at this. The AMEX AeroPlat T&C's spelled out that reward travel is not covered. This shocked the pants out of me. Given that he mentioned AMEX, I figured there was no reason to post this, but yeah if anyone wants me to prove it tomorrow, I will. Took me entirely by surprise!

It could be a mistake on the mobile site though as I was on my phone. It explicitly said Aeroplan reward travel was not covered. I'm still
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:15 pm

Oh I know AMEX doesn't cover you for rewards - most CC's don't - just was pretty sure that CIBC did, or used to (Hence my mentioning it being off topic and utterly unhelpful. )
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
To be fair, I spent some time looking into this. Nitehawk mentioned the vendor AMEX.

Now I don't have enough energy to pull this up again but I did spend quite a bit of time on my phone looking at this. The AMEX AeroPlat T&C's spelled out that reward travel is not covered. This shocked the pants out of me. Given that he mentioned AMEX, I figured there was no reason to post this, but yeah if anyone wants me to prove it tomorrow, I will. Took me entirely by surprise!

It could be a mistake on the mobile site though as I was on my phone. It explicitly said Aeroplan reward travel was not covered. I'm still
Common knowledge. Discussed in many previous threads here and on AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.