Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I gave you some examples in one of the posts you just quoted

Stuff just isn't being boarded.

Thanks. I understood your replies. I was waiting for an explanation from Air Canada - official, unofficial, lurkers, mystery shoppers.....

If stuff isn't boarded, is the catering company not doing their job that they are paid for (as I asked) or is Air Canada not forwarding the correct orders to the catering company, or maybe another reason?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks. I understood your replies. I was waiting for an explanation from Air Canada - official, unofficial, lurkers, mystery shoppers.....

If stuff isn't boarded, is the catering company not doing their job that they are paid for (as I asked) or is Air Canada not forwarding the correct orders to the catering company, or maybe another reason?
I think it's a catering company issue. When a SPML isn't boarded, or not enough meals are boarded, it's unclear who's at fault.

When cutlery isn't boarded, or wine isn't boarded, I'm pretty sure it's not AC forgetting to ask for cutlery
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:15 am

Best chance at edible flying from YVR?

I'm flying YYJ>YVR>YUL the evening of 9/7 and I signed up for the diabetic meal assuming it'd be low carb with protein & healthy fats (I know I know, wishful thinking). But after seeing photos of someone's elsewhere, now I'm terrified. It's been established here that the Kosher option is not good from YVR-- so what's my best chance for something edible that's not all carbs? Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tbella
I'm flying YYJ>YVR>YUL the evening of 9/7 and I signed up for the diabetic meal assuming it'd be low carb with protein & healthy fats (I know I know, wishful thinking). But after seeing photos of someone's elsewhere, now I'm terrified. It's been established here that the Kosher option is not good from YVR-- so what's my best chance for something edible that's not all carbs? Thanks!
Pardon me, as I'm not a...person who usually eats healthy food. What are you looking to eat? I don't even know what a healthy fat is, but if you can spell out what you're looking for maybe we can help.

Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Pardon me, as I'm not a...person who usually eats healthy food. What are you looking to eat? I don't even know what a healthy fat is, but if you can spell out what you're looking for maybe we can help.

Welcome to FT!
Hehe, thanks for responding to my noob question-- this is quite a minefield of a topic to navigate on your own!

Lean protein (chicken/fish) & non starchy vegetables, preferably-- vegetarian protein is good too (beans, tofu), as are eggs. I try to avoid most carbs, but especially white carbs (quinoa or brown rice would be my top carby preferences). Healthy fats = olive oil, avocado, nuts And, I get how unlikely any/all of this is for airline food!

This is actually my return trip home (to Boston), otherwise I'd just pack my own food, but 11 hours of travel including layovers is tough to plan for from a destination!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tbella
Hehe, thanks for responding to my noob question-- this is quite a minefield of a topic to navigate on your own!

Lean protein (chicken/fish) & non starchy vegetables, preferably-- vegetarian protein is good too (beans, tofu), as are eggs. I try to avoid most carbs, but especially white carbs (quinoa or brown rice would be my top carby preferences). Healthy fats = olive oil, avocado, nuts And, I get how unlikely any/all of this is for airline food!

This is actually my return trip home (to Boston), otherwise I'd just pack my own food, but 11 hours of travel including layovers is tough to plan for from a destination!
Hmm. I can't think of one meal that would satisfy all of your requirements.

A non lactose meal (NLML) will have lean protein (90% chicken 10% fish - or thereabouts), but it'll more than likely come with potatoes.
A vegetarian oriental meal (VOML) will more than likely have tofu and rice, but no lean protein.*

* = none of the above is guaranteed. It's just what I've had onboard.

If you want something low on salt, a AVML (asian vegetarian meal) is probably your best bet.

And if none of these work, FPML? (fruit plate meal?)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:18 pm

Hmm. I can't think of one meal that would satisfy all of your requirements.

A non lactose meal (NLML) will have lean protein (90% chicken 10% fish - or thereabouts), but it'll more than likely come with potatoes.
A vegetarian oriental meal (VOML) will more than likely have tofu and rice, but no lean protein.*

* = none of the above is guaranteed. It's just what I've had onboard.

If you want something low on salt, a AVML (asian vegetarian meal) is probably your best bet.

Thanks! Sounds like NLML it is. I'll report back what shows up on my tray table
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

Hey guys, new member here

I have a long trans-pacific flight from Vancouver with Air Canada coming up in a few weeks, and I've had really bad luck with meals the past few times that I've flown(with every airline I've flown with, not just AC).

I'm a pesco-vegetarian/pescetarian, which is basically a vegetarian that eats seafood too, but I'm allergic to legumes(peanuts, peas, chickpeas, beans etc.), outside of the fruit plate, what do you guys think would be my best option for a special meal?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:27 pm

Someone asks for low carbs, and you suggest a plate of fruit?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:33 pm

Well I just sent a Tweet for a CHML, and the response was "How old is the passenger?"

Not looking good

Edit:
Our Child Meals are designed for children between the age of 2 and 5. We regret we're unable to place this request.
I WANT THE CHICKEN FINGERS!

Last edited by canadiancow; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well I just sent a Tweet for a CHML, and the response was "How old is the passenger?"

Not looking good

Edit:

I WANT THE CHICKEN FINGERS!
Just reply. I'm a guy. My mind is that of a person between 2 to 5.

See what they say?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:32 pm

Just reply. I'm a guy. My mind is that of a person between 2 to 5.

See what they say?
Meh. I opted for AVML. We'll see how that is.

Most likely, it won't be boarded anyway, so I'll get a green form.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Meh. I opted for AVML. We'll see how that is.

Most likely, it won't be boarded anyway, so I'll get a green form.
5% off...what? base bare?

<Le Sigh>. My SPML's have been loaded more often than not though
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:21 pm

5% off...what? base bare?

<Le Sigh>. My SPML's have been loaded more often than not though
I'm 0 for 1 right now. The green forms get you a travel credit (dollar value) or Aeroplan miles, right? I chose the miles, and I'll choose the credit if it happens again. And I'll post here with amounts

That's the only green form I've ever had.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I got a green form that netted me $75.00 (malfunctioning seat in Premium Economy). There was no choice of miles or dollars as I simply received a letter enclosed with the electronic certificate's amount.

I have a white card pertaining to a malfunctioning IFE on a TPAC. Multiple emails sent, Super Elite email is useless... not sure what else to do. Not booking anything AC until it gets resolved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.