Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AC E50K
What can I expect for Veg. Oriental meal flying YYZ-LHR in Y?
I have had Asian Veg on YYZ-Europe and it is an Indian veg meal. Is Oriental based on Chinese veg food? Fried rice/noodles etc ? (Economy class)
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by newcdn
What can I expect for Veg. Oriental meal flying YYZ-LHR in Y?
I have had Asian Veg on YYZ-Europe and it is an Indian veg meal. Is Oriental based on Chinese veg food? Fried rice/noodles etc ? (Economy class)
I try not to guess (anymore), but I don't think anyone on here has had the VOML in Y in longhaul. But just as a FYI, I'll guess for you.

Usually the VOML involves tofu, a green (like spinach) and rice. The meal I posted upthread with pasta, I was like....wth??

Anyways, if anyone else has HAD it, I'd encourage them to chime in. But since I don't think you will get an answer, I guessed for you. Please do post back with a description so it will help all FTers! Even better, a photo would be great!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, OZ*S, KL
A) VLML
B) July/August 2014 and 2015
C) YYZ/SFO/YYC
D) Transcon
E) Chickpea curry with rice

Getting the exact same meals on YYZ-YYC-YYZ this year as I got on YYZ-SFO-YYZ last year is
quite disappointing. And curry feels so Y. A little bit more imagination would be nice AC.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:48 pm

A) VLML
B) July 2015
C) AMS
D) Intl
E) Quinoa salid with grilled veggies and Ravioli

Quite tasty; better than the pasta from the regular menu I'd say. Defenitely better than the canelloni that's often served ex-FRA on AC and other *A airlines in J.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sibelius
E) Chickpea curry with rice
Is this the one with the curry on the left in that dark brown sauce with the white chickpeas?

If so, it's not bad. But I've had enough of them that if I even smell one again I will throw up - and I'm being 100% serious. I thought that they had phased it out. I guess not. <Le sigh>
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Is this the one with the curry on the left in that dark brown sauce with the white chickpeas?

If so, it's not bad. But I've had enough of them that if I even smell one again I will throw up - and I'm being 100% serious. I thought that they had phased it out. I guess not. <Le sigh>
That's the one. Last night's AC824 (YYZ-AMS) was a narrow escape. Fortunately the
crew offered me the risotto from the standard menu as an alternative. Two cf these
curries in a row is a definitely too much...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sibelius
That's the one. Last night's AC824 (YYZ-AMS) was a narrow escape. Fortunately the
crew offered me the risotto from the standard menu as an alternative. Two cf these
curries in a row is a definitely too much...
Awesome. This is why FT kicks butt. So this meal is the same! VOML = VLML
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Awesome. This is why FT kicks butt. So this meal is the same! VOML = VLML
VOML is a quirky one and subject to interpretation (or creativity) depending on which station. Meal standards are a coordination between AC and the specific Caterer. SPML's are re-vamped from time to time - stay tuned.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
VOML is a quirky one and subject to interpretation (or creativity) depending on which station. Meal standards are a coordination between AC and the specific Caterer. SPML's are re-vamped from time to time - stay tuned.
Thank you ^ You're awesome!

I'm wondering if you can help answer this question please

With certain airlines, like SQ, they spell out if a VOML has dairy in it. VOML's generally, across *A do not have dairy/lactose. So I order them on AC because I'm bored of the NLML's.

I know you can't say for certain, but do you happen to know if dairy/lactose is specifically excluded on VOML's for AC?

Thank you (technically I'm just lactose intolerant, so I'll be in the J lav if there are issues - I won't die, lol)

(for the record, I've never had issues with VOML, I'm just curious more than anything. I'm pretty certain there is no dairy/lactose because Margarine is served with VOML's, although I'm not sure if margarine is ALWAYS served for SPML's.)
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Thank you ^ You're awesome!

I'm wondering if you can help answer this question.

With certain airlines, like SQ, they spell out if a VOML has dairy in it. VOML's generally, across *A do not have dairy/lactose. So I order them on AC because I'm bored of the NLML's.

I know you can't say for certain, but do you happen to know if dairy/lactose is specifically excluded on VOML's for AC?

Thank you (technically I'm just lactose intolerant, so I'll be in the J lav if there are issues - I won't die, lol)
I can't answer with certainly. There happens to be a VOML on request for a Customer on my flight tomorrow. Short of DNA & Lab testing, I'll have a very close look at it, and tell you what my impressions are. When I say VOML is subject to interpretation--I ordered one once on LH and it was pasta with a packet of that famous Asian Red Spicy Sauce**. Thus both requirements were fulfilled

Shouldn't it be a VAML? I thought "Oriental" was considered politically incorrect.

**Sriracha
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I can't answer with certainly. There happens to be a VOML on request for a Customer on my flight tomorrow. Short of DNA & Lab testing, I'll have a very close look at it, and tell you what my impressions are. When I say VOML is subject to interpretation--I ordered one once on LH and it was pasta with a packet of that famous Asian Red Spicy Sauce**. Thus both requirements were fulfilled

Shouldn't it be a VAML? I thought "Oriental" was considered politically incorrect.

**Sriracha
Thanks! I really gotta fly with you one day ^ Although I seem to fly with a lot of SD's who know you...

I'm not sure if it's politically incorrect. I take no offense to it personally....it's a 4 letter acronym for a special meal. If I let things like that get to me...well, I'd be dead by now

I think they called it a VOML instead of a VAML because of the AVML
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:09 am

Thanks! I really gotta fly with you one day ^ Although I seem to fly with a lot of SD's who have flown with you...
You mean my cover has been blown??
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:12 am

SAP -

I don't recall what your dietary requirements are, but if you are not Vegetarian you may want to try a KSML. By nature of the religious preparations, meat and dairy cannot be mixed on the same tray.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You mean my cover has been blown??
I guess so Usually when I fly I'll take some time to chat with the crew...and I'll ask them if they know X, Y, Z (SD's I know, have written in about (always in a positive light of course) or SD's I want to meet (ahem) ). And TBH, your name is the only name that consistently people go...YEAH I know who he is! They all look up to you by the way ^ //dedicating my 10,200 post just for this!

SAP -

I don't recall what your dietary requirements are, but if you are not Vegetarian you may want to try a KSML. By nature of the religious preparations, meat and dairy cannot be mixed on the same tray.
Hmmmm. Thanks for this!! I'm just lactose intolerant. I gotta give this a shot!!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Actually, come to think of it, for a Kosher meal (KSML), if dairy can't be mixed on the same tray as meat, what happens if I have a KSML and the main entree has no meat? Couldn't there be dairy in it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.