Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I thought someone posted that you had to be a child to order the kid's meal.

I'd be happy to try it though, if they'll let me
There was a time when I was sick of the whole beef/chicken/fish/pasta menu so I ordered a bunch of kids meals. I'm certainly not a kid though; I'm young enough that I still get IDed, but old enough that one time the SD came over and asked me if the CHML on the manifest was a mistake.

I'll dig through my phone to see what photos I can find, but off the top of my head, I remember getting ham & cheese sandwiches on white bread on short-haul domestic flights where everyone else got the cheese plate. And long-haul intl, I remember having chicken nuggets several times for the main. They come with cut-up potatoes (kinda the same size as tater tots but baked instead of fried) and peas. And there's even ketchup! Back when they had those casserole-style dishes in intl long-haul J, I definitely preferred the kids meal. Chicken nuggets are so processed you know what to expect, whereas everything else is hit-or-miss.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
This is all I could find on my phone: the CHML starter for the breakfast tray on AC33. Interesting to note that the kids get a bigger fruit plate than the normal meal, along with a prepackaged white bread roll that isn't warm, and becel instead of real butter. There was also a hot main with this, but I forget what it was...

Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by beanie72
Has anyone experienced or seen what the AC Gluten intolerant meal looks like? Also, I'm flying Premium Rouge YYZ to MAN so would they follow the same criteria as AC ML?
AFAIK, (it was told to me multiple times by FAs), the gluten free meal is the same as the non lactose meal. I've posted upthread what that was for the month of June.

I'm fairly confident the FAs are right because on my non lactose meal I always get a bun in a sealed bag which I assume is gluten free.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Rapidair Breakfast & Dinner

A) AVML - Breakfast
B) Week of 20-Jul-2015
C) YYZ
D) Domestic

A) AVML - Dinner (snack)
B) Week of 20-Jul-2015
C) YUL
D) Domestic

Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by kraftdinner_
This is all I could find on my phone: the CHML starter for the breakfast tray on AC33. Interesting to note that the kids get a bigger fruit plate than the normal meal, along with a prepackaged white bread roll that isn't warm, and becel instead of real butter. There was also a hot main with this, but I forget what it was...
OH NICE, photos of the child meal. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
OH NICE, photos of the child meal. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I'm definitely ordering that on my next itinerary, which just so happens to be SFO-YVR-(redeye)YYZ // YYZ-SFO.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

A) What meal you ordered
B) Date of meal (roughly is fine too)
C) Originating airport
D) Domestic/Transcon/Intl
E) Picture or description of the meal

--
WOW Was not expecting my SPML to change today from last week!

A) VOML
B) July 28
C) YYZ
D) Dom

Note: Was VERY pleased. Great meal, and nice of AC to change it up from last week. Dunno if I was lucky, but ^^ I admit it didn't look that good, but it WAS good! Yum The SD was yum too, but perhaps that's for another thread

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jul 28, 2015 at 8:43 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
WOW Was not expecting my SPML to change today from last week!

Note: Was VERY pleased. Great meal, and nice of AC to change it up from last week. Dunno if I was lucky, but ^^ I admit it didn't look that good, but it WAS good! Yum The SD was yum too, but perhaps that's for another thread

That looks fantastic.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
AFAIK, (it was told to me multiple times by FAs), the gluten free meal is the same as the non lactose meal. I've posted upthread what that was for the month of June.

I'm fairly confident the FAs are right because on my non lactose meal I always get a bun in a sealed bag which I assume is gluten free.
Thank you for the information; I was hoping I would get reply from you
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I thought I'd take one for the team.

For the record, I have severe lactose intolerance. It won't kill me, but it'll put me in the bathroom, and I'll leave it at that.

The current menu in domestic J for the salmon with lemon sauce thing with rice and vegetables, that's lactose free. My SPML did not board and I didn't have lactaid, and I went, what the hell and went for it. No adverse reactions. Obviously avoid the butter.

Oh and I do know the bread that AC serves is prepared dairy free (at least because I haven't spent my life in the bathroom as a result). I chanced it a few times. While some may go....wait, what, bread has butter? In some places they do. Not on AC. So you're safe there! Use the margarine they give you with the SPML and enjoy the hot bread that they serve the masses.

Just thought I'd share!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:25 am

Ingredient List

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an ingredient list for the meals? Either inflight, or online somewhere?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by youngid
Does anyone know if it's possible to get an ingredient list for the meals? Either inflight, or online somewhere?
No. I have looked into this.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by youngid

No.

Kinda sad really. In the old days, before the earth cooled, you could actually get a list of the contents of the special meals, although not the additives (eg. you would never know if a sauce contained any dairy etc)

The reality is, general catering on most airlines is not a personalized business.

If one has allergies or dietary or religious rules to follow, passengers really need to bring their own if they want to be sure of contents.

Or get a fruit plate. For example.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
If one has allergies or dietary or religious rules to follow, passengers really need to bring their own if they want to be sure of contents.

Or get a fruit plate. For example.
And even then, they can't guarantee that a meal is allergen free.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

Gluten Free specialty bread and or rice crackers are the standard for GFML's. The sealed bun is just a spec standard for SPML trays (except GFML). Regular heated bread and butter is always available in addition to....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.