Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
They'll be shut down by AC.
I would say more like Westjet. Westjet flys out of Abbotsford and Hamilton and has more to lose.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jan 7, 2016 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
$200 return all in YHZ-Hamilton. Pretty good really. AC is double that.

Anyone know what the seat pitch will be on these planes?
Should make Rouge seat pitch look good.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I would say more like Westjet. Westjet flys out of Abbotsford and Hamilton and has more to loss.
WestJet only flies to YYC out of Hamilton, and NewLeaf is avoiding Alberta completely. I think they've done a good job of avoiding directly competing with WestJet where they're strongest.

Hopefully this will put downward pressure on prices out of YYZ to the west coast though.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
YHM to YWG in March, but really limited schedule cost 203.00 + + +.
Noticed Flair is Kelowna Flightcraft. Did they not provide the 727-200s to Greyhound back in the day when the dog sprouted wings, at least for a little while.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by yul36
YHM to YWG in March, but really limited schedule cost 203.00 + + +.
Noticed Flair is Kelowna Flightcraft. Did they not provide the 727-200s to Greyhound back in the day when the dog sprouted wings, at least for a little while.
On Flair's About Us page, it says the owner worked at Kelowna Flightcraft for 35 years before starting Flair. They seem to be separate entities.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by JamilD
WestJet only flies to YYC out of Hamilton
Not true

YQM, YHZ, YEG, YWG, MCO, and other Mexico/Sun Destinations.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Not true

YQM, YHZ, YEG, YWG, MCO, and other Mexico/Sun Destinations.
Oops, my mistake. Is YHM-YYC the only non-seasonal route though?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I'd have to put some thought into it. I rarely work afternoon shifts at work and that's when the YHZ/YQM flights normally operate.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by HangTen

The U.S. ULCC's don't need to be in Canada. 90% of the Canadian population lives within 200 miles of the border, where taxes, seen and unseen, are far less expensive. They can can happily perch on the border and operate business as usual.

I always wondered why no one flies BUF-BLI that wouldn't end up printing money. YVR-YYZ is a racket.

Cheers
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
I always wondered why no one flies BUF-BLI that wouldn't end up printing money. YVR-YYZ is a racket.

Cheers
Because you would be driving longer than flying.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever

Cheers
Burn 2-3 hours driving and using ghetto airports. No thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
What's interesting is comparing the unbundled fees with the semi-bundled fees at AC. Carry-on luggage as an example.

Doing a quick price comparison, YXE-YHM-YHZ, it costs about the same to fly with this new air carrier (what's the code for it?) if a carry-on is in tow -- and costs more if the carry-on fee is charged per segment. (Which appears to be the case, since it's not possible to book that itinerary in one booking; so one would assume that the carry-on fee would be charged per segment)

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time I've seen a price tag put on priority boarding in Canada. This is one of the last 'services' that AC, WS, and PD leave bundled (along with 'free' customer support, carry-on, etc etc etc)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:01 pm

Why wouldn't the new airline fly YHM-YXX? AFAIK there are no other airlines that fly this route and it seems odd that they'd make someone connect to fly between the Vancouver and Toronto areas.

I know rouge flys between YYZ-YXX and AC likely started this fight as a preemptive strike, but it seems odd to me that they'd have a coast to coast route map where 2 stops are needed to do this. It seems to me like they are going for 2 separate markets - YHM-East, YHM-West, and not much of a way to cross between.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by YEGcg
this new air carrier (what's the code for it?)
No results in IATA or ICAO documents.
Would they get Flair's F8 and FLE?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
If in fact the fees are per seg, that means your bag just became a 50$ bag instead of a 25$ one assuming you had to change planes. . Since going to YHZ might mean a cnx in YHM check out the language on missed connections. They absolve themselves of any responsibility. In theory you might have to buy a whole new ticket, because they were late and you misconnected. There is absoutly no irpops protection. They do have a kind of insurance protection that allows you a limited number of free flight changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.