Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Most people on this site know what Tango means. Canadian FF would know this word very well.
Wasnt the origin of Tango literally TAN-GO meaning cheap flights to sun destinations?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Wasnt the origin of Tango literally TAN-GO meaning cheap flights to sun destinations?
I remember more like transcon flights.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Yes, it was. I also seem to recall that Tango was to expand beyond the sunspot leisure destinations to TATL routes to allow AC to better compete with charters though ultimately it never did.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
You give WS too much credit. At least my name is in green.
You'd better change it to red!

The various charter ops with their "several flights weekly" offerings didn't have the Saturday night stay fence on their fares prior to WJ but it was WJ who removed that fence permanently on all scheduled domestic flights when sales were launched in early Feb 1996.

It was matched, route by route, by AC and CP. For quite some time, there were no stay over requirements west of Winnipeg, but they stayed in place in Central and Eastern Canada so those zones would not see the yield meltdown Western Canada was incurring.

Suffice it is to say that the western network profitability for both AC and CP went down the tubes in that era. Margins for one of those airlines went from mid single digits pre WJ into the low -20% territory, according to that particular airlines own management presentation to its Board of Directors.

When WJ moved into YHM in 1999, and then targeted Moncton, the most central Maritime destination possible, the Saturday night stay rule for most, but not all flying in those regions magically disappeared.

It is a long stretch to suggest it was Tango that removed the Saturday night stay fence from the airline business in Canada.

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Please explain how sitting on flights makes you knowledgeable about running a airline. I guess you know how to run a car company too because you have driven a car for hundreds of hours. Most people on this site know what Tango means. Canadian FF would know this word very well.
you know wpgjetse, often I disagree with you, but on this point I completely agree.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: *$ Green
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Tango

The airline's name is short for "Tan and Go", which is in reference to the southern winter destinations that were initially planned to be served.[1]
Confirmed.

Wikipedia is truth. Wikipedia is life.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Tango

Confirmed.

Wikipedia is truth. Wikipedia is life.
My bad, it was "tan and go" not "tan-go"

It seems to come from Airliner World though, so not just made up by someone on wikipedia.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I'm not so sure about that - they may have been aware, since regulatory filings take time and are publicly available to any who choose and know how to make the requests. I used to make quarterly requests for new filings out of curiosity.

Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Out of Hamilton I don't think anyone saw this coming
Originally Posted by shaner82
I love it. I love competition. I'll likely never fly out of Hamilton because it's too far from me, but the more competition, the better
I'm not sure that there will really be all that much of a competitive advantage. WS pretty much ditched Hamilton because it just wasn't competitive with the AC (and WS partner) traffic they were trying to compete with.

As to fares, they'll be a bit cheaper, but by how much, $20-$40? Flight costs in Canada are quite expensive between all the various grubby agencies/groups trying to get their hands on the travel dollar - very little left for the actual operator.

In this case it looks like a tour company doing a wet lease, very pie crumbs left for them. I suspect we'll see more than a few complaints about travel on this airline after a few days/weeks of operations.

We already have Sunwing, Air Transat, AC (mainline & rouge), Westjet, Porter (regional) AirNorth, Canadian North, Air Inuit and Canjet(?) doing the bulk of the flying in Canada - I just don't see how the tiny market that is Canadian Air Travel can sustain another operator in the long term - especially with the U.S. border airport taking a big chunk of the north/south travel.

Time will tell - but I suspect we'll probably see another JetsGo type of affair.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: *$ Green
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airlines_of_Canada
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:33 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by jaysona
WS pretty much ditched Hamilton because it just wasn't competitive with the AC (and WS partner) traffic they were trying to compete with.
Don't forget WS stole our data, showing the attractiveness of YYZ over YHM.

Care to weigh in, HangTen?

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Jun 10, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Don't forget WS hacked into our systems and stole our data, showing the attractiveness of YYZ over YHM.

Care to weigh in, HangTen?

"Hacked"? I think you're giving WS too much credit on the technical side of what was actually done - but yes, point well made as to why WS moved from YHM to YYZ.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:12 pm
Flying Blue Director

"Hacked"? I think you're giving WS too much credit on the technical side of what was actually done - but yes, point well made as to why WS moved from YHM to YYZ.
As an IT guy myself, fair point

Post edited.

Also, I should just clarify - the point of Tango wasn't to dissolve Saturday night stays, this is completely a byproduct and tangential/irrelevant to my original point. What Tango did was prove that bundled fare products (branded fare families) were successful, which is what Air Canada (and later others) adopted.

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Jun 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HangTen
You'd better change it to red!

The various charter ops with their "several flights weekly" offerings didn't have the Saturday night stay fence on their fares prior to WJ but it was WJ who removed that fence permanently on all scheduled domestic flights when sales were launched in early Feb 1996.

It was matched, route by route, by AC and CP. For quite some time, there were no stay over requirements west of Winnipeg, but they stayed in place in Central and Eastern Canada so those zones would not see the yield meltdown Western Canada was incurring.

Suffice it is to say that the western network profitability for both AC and CP went down the tubes in that era. Margins for one of those airlines went from mid single digits pre WJ into the low -20% territory, according to that particular airlines own management presentation to its Board of Directors.

When WJ moved into YHM in 1999, and then targeted Moncton, the most central Maritime destination possible, the Saturday night stay rule for most, but not all flying in those regions magically disappeared.

It is a long stretch to suggest it was Tango that removed the Saturday night stay fence from the airline business in Canada.

Didn't WestJet pull out of Winnipeg and move back in after 18 to 24 months? If so, only YYC, Yvr and Yeg had no sat stay.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:16 pm
Suspended

WestJet stole the info "old school". By the way, why did no one go to Jail? I guess with white collar crime, make a little donations and you are good to go. Come to think of it, didn't Porter get route info a shady way too.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jun 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
"Hacked"? I think you're giving WS too much credit on the technical side of what was actually done
Seems as good a term as any as WS gained private data by using a former Air Canada employee's password to gain access to an Air Canada Web site hundreds of thousands of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.