Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence

Bet AC didn't see this coming:

Travellers looking for deals offered by no-frills carriers like Spirit Airlines or Allegiant Air could see a Canadian version operating out of the Hamilton airport by this summer.
NewLeaf Travel Company Inc., which plans to offer unbundled services including air, hotel and car rentals, announced Monday that it has picked Winnipeg for its headquarters, but plans to have bases in Hamilton and Kelowna
Mighty convenient now that rouge has been delayed out of YHM till 2016.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Out of Hamilton I don't think anyone saw this coming
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:08 am

I love it. I love competition. I'll likely never fly out of Hamilton because it's too far from me, but the more competition, the better
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I thought there was an AC Rouge route that was delayed but was going to operate out of Hamilton if memory serves me correct?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:12 am

The owner of New Leaf Travel intimated that his venture will survive where others have failed (Greyhound, Roots, Jetsgo) because he is smarter than they were. We'll see.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
The article states that many of their intial customers they are targeting are people priced out by AC and WS, but I can see a significant portion of AC/WS's leisure market (who are on the fence given all the new nickel and diming) to be swayed (as secondary growth target market) by an LCC who is offering true discounted base fares, with surcharges on top that still come out less than AC.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by DoctorDoug
The owner of New Leaf Travel intimated that his venture will survive where others have failed (Greyhound, Roots, Jetsgo) because he is smarter than they were. We'll see.
Not to mention Flyglobespan. Yes, we shall see.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
So how many LCCs/ULCCs is that which have announced their intention to start service across Canada over the last couple of years? At least three or four, maybe?

And how many of those offer flights that I can buy a ticket on this month?

Talk is cheap.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:30 am
alc

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I thought there was an AC Rouge route that was delayed but was going to operate out of Hamilton if memory serves me correct?
yes, AC did announced service from YHM to this year, but later delay the launch by almost 1 year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...most-year.html
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
yes, AC did announced service from YHM to this year, but later delay the launch by almost 1 year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...most-year.html
And AC took the jet lines/naked threat seriously to pre empt service to YXX and launch rouge in the domestic market as a way to get ahead of the future competition.

If this plays out, newleaf may have turned the tables on AC while they were turning the table on Jet lines/naked.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by kwflyer
And AC took the jet lines/naked threat seriously to pre empt service to YXX and launch rouge in the domestic market as a way to get ahead of the future competition.

If this plays out, newleaf may have turned the tables on AC while they were turning the table on Jet lines/naked.
Jet Naked seemed to have other issues:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24036547/
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kwflyer
How long is the line of people wanting the opposite side of your bets/theories?
And, Where can I add my name to the waiting list to join it?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm gonna say this fails miserably. We simply don't have room for more competition in this country. There's already traffic going to the US by driving across, then low cost travelers on rouge/ws then biz travel on AC, let alone the cheap fares AA/UA often offer.

I realize this is supposed to be LCC or ULCC model, but they'll have a small fleet, very limited destinations/skeds and with our population it won't work.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
"Launch by end of summer." Which year? I don't see tickets on sale.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I realize this is supposed to be LCC or ULCC model, but they'll have a small fleet, very limited destinations/skeds and with our population it won't work.
Not only population density, but what cost structure savings can they leverage over Rouge/WS? They can't pay their crews much less than Rouge, so whats left to chop?

-Cheaper lease rates? Possibly, their 734s should cost a little less than AC's 18yo A319s. But their fuel burn will be much higher
-Nav Canada fees - same cost
-Wynne's fuel taxes - same cost
-CATSA security - same cost
-Terminal and landing fees - same cost in shared airports
-AIF - same cost (YHM at $28.25 is one of the highest in the country)

So if they can convince travelers to drive to YHM to save $50, it may work. At least until fuel costs go back up! Oil was sub-$80 for JetsGo's entire existence ($30/barrel when they started) and they couldn't manage it.

I doubt AC will rush Rouge to defend against this. Probably wait to see what happens, they can always step in earlier than the planned 2016 and try to undercut them later if they survive until next summer (or even launch by then).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.