Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by pitz
AC not biting, yet. Good for them!
And I expect they won't. The newleaf schedule is so infrequent that it's hard to see a dent being put into AC's numbers. Plus, if WestJet is happy to match the pricing on a number of seats, then AC will happily take the remaining passengers at standard pricing once WestJet fills.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Well, that was quick: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/newl...nada-1.3409142
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:37 pm

Well that was faster than anyone guessed.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
http://docs.airpassengerrights.ca/Ai...no_license.pdf

I think it will still happen, just delayed...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Marlin240
Ummm, how is this arrangement really any different than AC selling seats on United flights?

Personally I think they should just ban codeshareing altogether. It would take care of a major customer service problem with the traditional carriers, and it would stop problems like these cropping up where its not entirely clear to the public on whose aircraft services are being offered (ie: Newleaf's, or Flair's).
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
And, even if they do get off the ground now, this is exactly the type of uncertainty the spooks travellers... at least they are getting their money back.

But, it will bring back memories of Canada 3000 (2T) and others stranding travellers at their destination. Didn't that happen with Greyhound Air too?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Ummm, how is this arrangement really any different than AC selling seats on United flights?
CTA can't control what domestic airlines do outside our borders can they?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm

Personally I think they should just ban codeshareing altogether. It would take care of a major customer service problem with the traditional carriers, and it would stop problems like these cropping up where its not entirely clear to the public on whose aircraft services are being offered (ie: Newleaf's, or Flair's).
I think AC buying all Jazz capacity and re-selling those seats is a more apt comparison. Presumably Lucaks doesn't take issue with that because AC has its own operating licence, and any affected passengers will be protected by AC's policies. However it would be easy for New Leaf to turn around and say "not our problem", it's Flair's.

An article mentioning this several days ago laid out his argument that some of New Leaf's policies were not even compliant with the law and did not match Flair's (lost baggage I think was one example). He wanted liability to be made clear between New Leaf and Flair.

Once that is settled I'm sure their short-lived existence will begin
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by PilotTobe
http://docs.airpassengerrights.ca/Ai...no_license.pdf

I think it will still happen, just delayed...
This isn't a CTA issue. They are being blamed because it is easy to blame government.

The issue is Flair Air. They decided against going ahead with the deal and they had an investment in business, which has been pulled. They are out.

So NewAir has to replace the equity and find someone acceptable to the regulators to provide the lift.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:59 pm

Imagine the workload processing refunds for the dozens of booked passengers.
Must have taken a single employee many uninterrupted minutes
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Hilarious! The market here is dead. They should've never bothered trying in the first place.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR72
And, even if they do get off the ground now, this is exactly the type of uncertainty the spooks travellers...
It spooks them until a family discovers they can save $200 on that trip to Grandma's house and then all fear is gone and the credit card is out.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by gglave
It spooks them until a family discovers they can save $200 on that trip to Grandma's house and then all fear is gone and the credit card is out.
Savings will be less once grandma gets caught at the gate for an $80 carry on fee and needs to pay for her tea onboard.

I don't see any way Canadian customers will be accepting of this... Similarly I expect backlash when WS tries to charge for meals on their 10hr TATLs too.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
but...how will ac react????
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by zorn
but...how will ac react????
hahaha. Your post made me head back to the OP to see how this thread started.

Let's see .... back to June 2015
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Bet AC didn't see this coming:
Mighty convenient now that rouge has been delayed out of YHM till 2016.
Originally Posted by kwflyer
If this plays out, newleaf may have turned the tables on AC
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
How long is the line of people wanting the opposite side of your bets/theories?
And, Where can I add my name to the waiting list to join it?
Enough said

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.