Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Wow, their route announcement is hilarious. Talk about having to work around their schedule!

http://gonewleaf.ca/travel-info/route-map-south/
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
July 25th is the new launch date....
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Dorian
Wow, their route announcement is hilarious. Talk about having to work around their schedule!

Either they've done a crazy amount of demand research and they've planned their flights accordingly... or they're scheduling based on aircraft availability. I'm more inclined to think that its mostly the latter, otherwise you wouldn't have such a messed up schedule.

I thought the entire way you made money in this industry was by keeping your aircraft in the air as often as possible on routes with reasonable demand. Apparently nobody flies on Tuesdays.

I'm obviously not the target market... but I think they're pretty much sunk in 12 months.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by epiphani

I'm obviously not the target market... but I think they're pretty much sunk in 12 months.
IMHO, you are being optimistic. It all depends upon how much cash they have and how patient Flair might be with potential late payments as I expect initial cash flow will be rather lumpy.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
IIRC, they are using a few planes from an existing charter airline. Maybe the charter has pre-existing flights on Tuesdays.

From the webpage, they are using Flair Air planes. Flair has 5 737-400's. I doubt NewLeaf is using all of them.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by epiphani
Either they've done a crazy amount of demand research and they've planned their flights accordingly... or they're scheduling based on aircraft availability. I'm more inclined to think that its mostly the latter, otherwise you wouldn't have such a messed up schedule.

I thought the entire way you made money in this industry was by keeping your aircraft in the air as often as possible on routes with reasonable demand. Apparently nobody flies on Tuesdays.

According to today's news, New Leaf is not targeting business travellers but is catering to leisure travellers.

They are intentionally avoiding Canada's top 4 airports - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary.

mxm135
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Their schedule out of Greater Vancouver is bananas -

- Abbotsford to Winnipeg on Thursdays and Sundays
- Abbotsford to Fort St. John on Thursdays and Sundays

That's it.

No Hamilton, no Edmonton.

I would have assumed Abbotsford to Hamilton would have been their gravy train, but no.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by smallmj
Flair has 5 737-400's. I doubt NewLeaf is using all of them.
I doubt this too... I'm waiting for some maintenance issue which will cause the down-line cancellation of like 20 flights, and the subsequent whining by people on social media.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
It all depends upon how much cash they have ....
I believe start up airlines in Canada are required to have enough funding to operate for three months with no revenue.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:28 pm

Air Canada matched the fares last time NewLeaf launched. Then as soon as NewLeaf announced it was halting ticket sales they jacked the prices back up again.

So, this time around, if I had to guess, Air Canada might wait a bit to see if this airline even gets off the ground before it matches these prices.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:58 pm

When the CTA figures out the majority of New Leaf's capital comes from Minneapolis, and therefore violates the laws that all the other airlines based in Canada have to abide by, the venture will, once again, be shut down.

No matter what structure they've dreamt up to dance around the law, the CTA is mandated to look through the structure to figure out who owns and controls the venture.

If it's more than 25% controlled by non-Canadians, it will not fly, period.

Pretending that "Flair" is the "airline", when all the commercial risk is being taken by a foreign controlled and capitalized structure is a laughable argument, once again proving just how out of touch with reality New Leaf is.

Should the GOC change the law, enabling ALL airlines to increase foreign ownership to some higher amount, perhaps New Leaf will get off the ground.

Until then, caveat emptor. This dodo will not be flying anytime soon.

Even if they did, their ridiculous sched pretty much guarantees failure the moment they become reliant on cash flow from bookings beyond Labor Day, which will occur around Aug 12th.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks!

Just booked YEG-YYZ non stop for Thanksgiving weekend for $435 return Then had a 20% code and $50 WS dollars so $325 all in
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Dorian

I am not an expert but I would think it would be better to start with a few less destinations and increase the frequency on the other routes to more than 2 times a week.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Reminds me of Greyhound Air, but even they had a better schedule.

Anyone remember them?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Just booked YEG-YYZ non stop for Thanksgiving weekend for $435 return Then had a 20% code and $50 WS dollars so $325 all in
How does having $50 WS dollars help with booking NewLeaf?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.