Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Excuse for WiFi not working on a flight the other day: this plane is new.

Seemed to be in the script, so I'm not going to blame the FA for it, but what idiot at AC decided that the plane being new was a good excuse for something not working? Just say the WiFi is not currently working and be done with it. Because things are supposed to work when they're brand new!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Seemed to be in the script, so I'm not going to blame the FA for it, but what idiot at AC decided that the plane being new was a good excuse for something not working? Just say the WiFi is not currently working and be done with it. Because things are supposed to work when they're brand new!
I have been getting variants of this quite often as of late.

The SD or other announcer would state that wifi is available on board, can be paid with credit card, etc. Etc. Etc. Just to add to the other mundane, seemingly recited, gibberish.

Then when questioned, the crew admit to their mistake but otherwise don't make a correction announcement. They prefer to be bugged every two seconds on why the wifi that doesn't exist, isn't working.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
"Welcome on board this brand new Dreamliner 787-two hundred"
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
"Welch on board this brand new Dreamliner 787-two hundred"
I'm insulted that I would ever welch on a bet, even on a fictional aircraft!

EDIT: Oh, no, you corrected the typo Well, I'm leaving it in place here...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:14 pm

You must have misunderstood FA. He/she was new.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I was advised by a FA on Monday night, YUL-YYC, that AC policy is that no cans of Coke or other carbonated beverages are to be given to passengers due to the limited amount supplied on the flight.

This follows them being sold out of the 4 items on the BOB menu.

I was in the exit row on an E90.
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
This practice is so prevalent I have always assumed this is, in fact, AC's policy/SOP.

Whenever I've been left the can, I've taken it as a sign the FA's like me more than their employer.
The policy of leaving a Whole can of Cola if requested was changed as part of the first wave of changes brought in by Calvin Rovinescu when he ousted Monty Brewer. the lack of a full can of Coke and being out of four BoB items suggests the FA's were just being lazy. The flight should have received a full commissary load at YUL, the only thing that might make this different is if there was a late inbound on the previous flight and the YUL station made the decision to load up , close the doors, and takeoff.

For the record, I always ask for a can of coke, no ice and have consistently received the whole can. However, I don't like the E90 for transcons and will chose a different routing/flight.

YUL-YYC should have had 2 rounds of drink service, I wonder if there was a second round of drinks. A frequent complainant in the old 145 or 141 YYZ-YYC flights was lack of second drink service. If I flew over YQR and the carts weren't out, I would go to the back and request a second drink. There have been a few interesting discussions with the FAs. We don't do a second drink service on this flight, is followed by can I get a quote from the in charge for my complaint or do you just want give me the can and I will be on my way.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair, perhaps he meant that wifi had not yet been installed?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Sure, but this thread isn't about "Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have thought while on board"
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:13 pm

Should have asked if the wheels are waiting to be put on.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:18 am

Or possibly not enabled yet.

Personally, not knowledgeable about the process to getting from not installed to running, but would assume that there would be several steps from start to finish and that at a certain point after installation, the plane might be pressed into service before being ready if there was a mx issue on another plane... Although I don't know why they don't just say that.

But what do I know, I don't work at the airport.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I have been getting variants of this quite often as of late.

The SD or other announcer would state that wifi is available on board, can be paid with credit card, etc. Etc. Etc. Just to add to the other mundane, seemingly recited, gibberish.
But that's on widebodies where there just isn't any WiFi, right?

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You must have misunderstood FA. He/she was new.
No to both.

I doubt that. As I said, it seemed to be in the script. And I flew that fin 2 months before and they had made the announcement the WiFi was there and the little blue overhead WiFi light was on. It was only when I asked why there was no WiFi network that the FA spoke to a pilot who told her it hadn't been working ever since the plane entered service.

And that was 2 months ago.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Or possibly not enabled yet.

Personally, not knowledgeable about the process to getting from not installed to running, but would assume that there would be several steps from start to finish and that at a certain point after installation, the plane might be pressed into service before being ready if there was a mx issue on another plane... Although I don't know why they don't just say that.
It's possible that it hasn't been enabled, but the plane has been in service for 3 months or more. Plenty of time for them to get the damned thing working.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We only have 1 can of Diet Coke for the entire flight so I cannot give you the full can.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that. As I said, it seemed to be in the script. And I flew that fin 2 months before and they had made the announcement the WiFi was there and the little blue overhead WiFi light was on. It was only when I asked why there was no WiFi network that the FA spoke to a pilot who told her it hadn't been working ever since the plane entered service.

And that was 2 months ago.
So the statement whereby the plane was new was incorrect then?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But that's on widebodies where there just isn't any WiFi, right?

Correct.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK *G
I remember reading a trip report, someone in Saudia J was asking for a full can of coke but got refused because that's against their policy. That person then kept asking for a glass of coke every five minute and eventually FA brought two cans of coke to that person.

So perhaps we can do the same on AC. If you can't get a full can of coke, just ask for two glasses of coke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.