Bonaventure - 100k~
travelgirl_SE (travelgirl)
supremekai
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings - Fourth Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well you don't have to explain the joke

I wasn't explaining the joke.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'll pay you $100 to come with me.
Thanks for the offer although I'd probably do it if you added a 0 to the end and covered my airfare... Two things. 1) Wilson is more interesting than me and 2) there isn't enough liquor on any non mainline aircraft
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks for the offer although I'd probably do it if you added a 0 to the end and covered my airfare... Two things. 1) Wilson is more interesting than me and 2) there isn't enough liquor on any non mainline aircraft
There are 12 mini-bottles of hard liquor on ever Express aircraft I've flown from DH1 up to CRJ. There is also beer and wine.

The problem is that you can fly something like YUL-YQB-YOW-YUL, and the don't restock at YQB or YOW
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
There are 12 mini-bottles of hard liquor on ever Express aircraft I've flown from DH1 up to CRJ. There is also beer and wine.

The problem is that you can fly something like YUL-YQB-YOW-YUL, and the don't restock at YQB or YOW
Now THAT I didn't know. That seems like enough, especially if we're in the first few rows. I'll give it a more serious thought. I'll bug you via email in a little bit.

YVR - SEA they had no bar service at all, hence my worry....
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Now THAT I didn't know. That seems like enough, especially if we're in the first few rows. I'll give it a more serious thought. I'll bug you via email in a little bit.

You should seriously consider this. It would be awesome to hear about the journey of the Cow and Penguin!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

If anyone's in SF tonight, I'm having dinner and drinks with Drunk Cargo. Send me a PM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
Repeating Globe trotter badges

Wait... the badges listed are the same as v3. I hope they change, since I gave away the winning itinerary for that :\
In the Terms and Cons for this year:
"Once a specific combination of flight activities (e.g.: Cross Channel Badge – takeoff at LHR on June 24, 2015, and land in CDG on July 1, 2015) is used towards the criteria for a Globetrotter Badge, it cannot be used again for the criteria for the same Globetrotter Badge. However, if eligible, it can be used towards other Globetrotter Badges."

So does this mean we can't earn 20x prairie or scenic drive badges?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
In the Terms and Cons for this year:
"Once a specific combination of flight activities (e.g.: Cross Channel Badge – takeoff at LHR on June 24, 2015, and land in CDG on July 1, 2015) is used towards the criteria for a Globetrotter Badge, it cannot be used again for the criteria for the same Globetrotter Badge. However, if eligible, it can be used towards other Globetrotter Badges."

So does this mean we can't earn 20x prairie or scenic drive badges?
No, you're misreading it. That has been in the terms for every EYW.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:41 pm

What it means is say a badge says 2 of 3

LHR, FRA, CDG

If you fly YYZ - LHR, CDG and FRA one ways and flew back with LH. You would have 3 landings.

You would get LHR+CDG badge but you cannot combine the FRA+ the CDG or LHR for another because they where already used to get the first badge.

Say you flew YYZ-LHR, CDG and FRA Returns.

You would have a landing and a take off so LHR 2, FRA 2, CDG 2.

You can now do LHR+CDG, LHR+FRA, CDG+FRA for 3 badges.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

They had bar service for people who could walk to the plane...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearna
What it means is say a badge says 2 of 3

LHR, FRA, CDG

If you fly YYZ - LHR, CDG and FRA one ways and flew back with LH. You would have 3 landings.

You would get LHR+CDG badge but you cannot combine the FRA+ the CDG or LHR for another because they where already used to get the first badge.

Say you flew YYZ-LHR, CDG and FRA Returns.

You would have a landing and a take off so LHR 2, FRA 2, CDG 2.

You can now do LHR+CDG, LHR+FRA, CDG+FRA for 3 badges.
Correct, same as the first three EYWs.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Cow: Would it be feasible to break it up into 2-3 rounds. Say 3 days per round and repeat as needed to stay on top of leaderboard.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cairo604
Cow: Would it be feasible to break it up into 2-3 rounds. Say 3 days per round and repeat as needed to stay on top of leaderboard.
If you want each "round" to be identical, that makes it harder.

Also, the booking window ends about 45 days before the flying window, so you can't just wait until other people beat you before booking more.

And finally, if you wait to book, availability will drop, and cost will increase.

I finished updating the badges and new cities in my algorithm, and it's currently running. It's fun to watch
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:43 am

I was looking at doing a prairie run combined with a YVR-YYJ day to double up on badges; considered YTZ-YUL-LGA up and downs and I keep coming to the same conclusion...

The amount of cash needed to secure EYW4 top 20 is probably around the 3000 to 4000$ mark... for this amount of cash you could churn cards with up front annual fees while downgrading and getting a partial refund while getting another product and bonus etc all from the comfort of your own home in a few minutes instead of spending days of lounging around in DH3's...

The only real added value was if you needed segments for status which I do but I have also realized that a nexus card and a credit card are almost equivalent and that AC will continue to destroy the program year over year so really, what is the point?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hearna
I was looking at doing a prairie run combined with a YVR-YYJ day to double up on badges; considered YTZ-YUL-LGA up and downs and I keep coming to the same conclusion...

The amount of cash needed to secure EYW4 top 20 is probably around the 3000 to 4000$ mark... for this amount of cash you could churn cards with up front annual fees while downgrading and getting a partial refund while getting another product and bonus etc all from the comfort of your own home in a few minutes instead of spending days of lounging around in DH3's...

The only real added value was if you needed segments for status which I do but I have also realized that a nexus card and a credit card are almost equivalent and that AC will continue to destroy the program year over year so really, what is the point?
If eyw3 it's anything to benchmark against, your $ value is off. I'll leave it at that.

@yvrgary. I see I'm still getting grief for that..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.