supremekai
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings - Fourth Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by alc
Thanks CC for confirming.

Now I think I will trust the info posted previously that the next badge will be Velocity Badg2. It was a one-time badge last time and it required Flex, hence it is not a useful badge for me. Now, I need to figure out of 100K wings will be what required to get to top 20, or will 80K do the trick. That will make a big different to my cost and the number of days off. But I need to make the decision soon before flare going up.
Everyone's holding that information close to their chests, despite it being in our best collective interests to spend as little $ and time to get the 10MM miles... oh well, AC could use the extra moolah I suppose.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Looks like I'm getting roughly a 10% improvement in my wing count with the Accelerator Badge. Might be time to start booking
Old May 5, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Everyone's holding that information close to their chests, despite it being in our best collective interests to spend as little $ and time to get the 10MM miles... oh well, AC could use the extra moolah I suppose.
If you can manage to get 15k wings per day (which would be very challenging), you're still looking at 7 full days to break 100k wings. Do you really think that many people are willing to do that?

I've talked to other people who are doing weekend trips here and there, but they're generally optimizing much more for cost than wings, so they're not even breaking 8k wings/day.

I'm not convinced there are enough crazy people to bring the top 20 much higher than last time
Old May 5, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not convinced there are enough crazy people to bring the top 20 much higher than last time
It's official. The cow finally calls himself crazy
Old May 5, 2015, 4:16 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Yes, understood. that is why my post was "I" need to figure it out It is a very hard decision for me as if I do not get to top 20, I will be spending ~3.2 cents per AP miles that I will be getting while I only value AP as 1 cent / mile.

Looks like I'm getting roughly a 10% improvement in my wing count with the Accelerator Badge. Might be time to start booking
I will be careful to book anything tonight as there are some typo in the T&C:

From the short desc page:

for new bookings made between May 5 and May 14, 2015 by 19:59 Eastern Time, for travel between May 4 and July 12, 2015.
- how can you book it today (May 5) and travel yesterday

and then from both the above and the full T&C, it state by 19:59pm EST. So, you would think this time only apply May 14, but what if they really meant to apply to May 5 as well? So, if I do decide to go for it, I will book it tomorrow to be safe, or at least after 8pm EST tonight (i.e ~2 hours from now)
Old May 6, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Hey Cow,

How many miles did you make in the last EYW? I am doing a number of Transpacs and it looks like it doesn't pay as the prairie travellers will probably win this thing. It looks like those who do short trips as opposed to longer trips have the advantage??

Thanks

Aft
Old May 6, 2015, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AftOf245
Hey Cow,

How many miles did you make in the last EYW? I am doing a number of Transpacs and it looks like it doesn't pay as the prairie travellers will probably win this thing. It looks like those who do short trips as opposed to longer trips have the advantage??

Thanks

Aft
I earned about 700k.

The people who will win are those who book trips for the sole purpose of winning.

I have a 9 day itinerary plotted out that will earn 145k wings. I need to price it out and make sure it's sane, but it actually beat the 15k/day I thought would be tough to do
Old May 6, 2015, 8:26 am
alc

canadiancow / DrunkCargo

I recall on your EYW3 trip, there were some last minutes changes to your flights, hence want to confirm on what happen to your wings for those flights.

For example, I booked YYZ-YQT today, but on the day of trip, got change to YYZ-YWG-YQT, do you now get the additional wings + the Accelerator Badge bonus?

i.e. going from (100+200)*1.5 to (100+200+200+200)*1.5

I had decided to try to compete to get to top 20, or specifically rank 11 to 20 as I know I will not get to top 10. Just waiting for manager to approval my vacation before I book anything.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
If you can manage to get 15k wings per day (which would be very challenging), you're still looking at 7 full days to break 100k wings. Do you really think that many people are willing to do that?

I've talked to other people who are doing weekend trips here and there, but they're generally optimizing much more for cost than wings, so they're not even breaking 8k wings/day.

Good thinking. Well I'll throw myself out there as well then. I'll manage around 110,000 wings and will have a bunch of lat tickets booked in the window just in case that can take me up to 125k, if others decide they want to fight me for my precious (miles). I'd encourage others aiming for the top 20 to post theirs honestly, to help our fellow FTers on the sidelines decide whether they really want to contribute to AC's bottom line needlessly for no reward.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
canadiancow / DrunkCargo

I recall on your EYW3 trip, there were some last minutes changes to your flights, hence want to confirm on what happen to your wings for those flights.

For example, I booked YYZ-YQT today, but on the day of trip, got change to YYZ-YWG-YQT, do you now get the additional wings + the Accelerator Badge bonus?

i.e. going from (100+200)*1.5 to (100+200+200+200)*1.5

I had decided to try to compete to get to top 20, or specifically rank 11 to 20 as I know I will not get to top 10. Just waiting for manager to approval my vacation before I book anything.
Yes, you're credited for what you fly, not what you book.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:38 am
alc

Yes, you're credited for what you fly, not what you book.
thanks. did you encounter a change that force a re-ticket with a new ticket number. if you do, do you still get the wings?
Old May 6, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
thanks. did you encounter a change that force a re-ticket with a new ticket number. if you do, do you still get the wings?
Yes.

One of my PNRs was completely rebuilt. The fare basis codes on every segment was "IRROP" (normally it would be something like M21QVT for an M fare).

As long as the booking reference is the same, you should be fine.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:22 pm
alc

Yes.

One of my PNRs was completely rebuilt. The fare basis codes on every segment was "IRROP" (normally it would be something like M21QVT for an M fare).

As long as the booking reference is the same, you should be fine.
Thanks again for all your help. I am all set, just waiting for my approval now.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:47 am
Original Poster

I just made some improvements to my algorithm...

Let's just say I plan on flying fewer than 9 days this year, but for quite a few more wings
Old May 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Whoo... still can't decide if I'm in or not.

Can anyone clarify one thing for me:

PRAIRIE BADGE
From plentiful plains to the ‘Breadbasket,’ earn this badge every time you take off or land at any 3 of the following 4 airports: Edmonton (YEG), Saskatoon (YXE), Regina (YQR), Winnipeg (YWG).

Do I read this correctly, that if I do an itinerary that goes YEG-YXE-YQR, and then returns, the wings earn as follows:

YEG - 200 takeoff
YXE - 200 takeoff, 200 landing
YQR - 200 landing
Plus 2,000 for the Badge

YQR - 200 takeoff
YXE - 200 takeoff, 200 landing
YEG - 200 landing
Plus 2,000 for the Badge

Total is 5,600 for the trip?

Or am I reading this wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.