Bonaventure - 100k~
travelgirl_SE (travelgirl)
supremekai
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings - Fourth Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was really informative. Watched it at 35,000 feet on a United flight =P
What did the guy call it in the video again? You were cheating on AC by flying UA?

Originally Posted by canopus27
Dateline: 2020, in an crowded office in Montreal.

Interviewer: "Can you explain to me how you all came to work for Air Canada?"

"Well, Andrew was first, and Ben followed a few years later - but the real rush started when the Cow moved over. DrunkCargo & the Penguin followed, and the next thing you know, we were all here..."
Stranger things have happened in life, but if I go to AC, it wouldn't be voluntary. You know, unvested stock, a huge salary cut etc. I have Mrs. SAP to pay for (OK I jest to the last part b/c she's awesome, but one gets the premise...I have "life" to pay for)
Old May 9, 2015, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canopus27
Dateline: 2020, in an crowded office in Montreal.

Interviewer: "Can you explain to me how you all came to work for Air Canada?"

"Well, Andrew was first, and Ben followed a few years later - but the real rush started when the Cow moved over. DrunkCargo & the Penguin followed, and the next thing you know, we were all here..."

Hilarious.
Anyone placing bets?
Old May 9, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm going to have to come off the road eventually...
Old May 9, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Well I think most of us here work in IT. It would be the perfect occasion to improve AC IT.

But I think a more likely scenario if we all end up on Dateline is something along those lines.

Interviewer: "Can you explain how a bunch of AC frequent flyer all ended in a Mexican jail?"

"It all started with AC's EYW contest awarding a lot of wings for travel to Mexico City and Cancun. One of us found a mistake fare that allowed for cheap travel between those two cities via Toronto. Apparently this was considered cabotage and the authorities got involved at the airport. The agent in charge of explaining the situation confused cabotage with sabotage and that's how we all ended up in jail."
Old May 9, 2015, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
What did the guy call it in the video again? You were cheating on AC by flying UA?
I didn't pay for the UA flight.
Old May 9, 2015, 2:40 pm

Starting at 18:40, did he say "altitude members, those that we've been downing and dumping?"
Old May 9, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Starting at 18:40, did he say "altitude members, those that we've been downing and dumping?"
No. He said those that would be "Medallion on Delta".

I find his speech and the message it broadcasts to be very condescending, but that, I suppose, goes along with all the recent changes to the program.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:48 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I do not get it either and it does not get me. Just registered giving them all my vital info and it did not even recognize my SE status which should have started me off with 500 wings.

I think this is just crap. I have far better things to do with my life.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:17 pm
alc

Spend last 2 days making all the bookings (total 9) and end up spending $500 more than I planned.

Found a major error in my calculation/formula during the planning phase in the middle of all my bookings, thought about call in and cancel them all and re-calculate. But decided to continue, hence, I hope I will be rank between 11 to 20. So for those of you calculating all these manually on Excel - Triple-Check all your calculation/formula!!!

But the major problem was that links of the itineraries that I build on Google Flights were not bookable. All of them got an error after entering the credit card numbers. I was be able to re-produce this error with BMO Rewards booking site as well. It will show up a very cheap itinerary, but when you click to book it, it will tell you the flights are no longer available.

Used up all my Air Canada gift cards collected via various promo in recent years, all my BMO Rewards points, and a 10% AC discount code that I got earlier this year.

I am not in my early 20s any more, so I know I can't do one big trip like CC & DC did. Therefore, I have 2 trips. Trip 1 starting with a late flight from YYZ on Tues and return to YYZ early morning on Sat. Spend the weekend at home to recharge. Trip 2 will start with a early morning flight at YYZ on Mon and return to YTZ mid-afternoon on Fri and take Go-Train home.

I will re-qualify for dDiamond with this promo even if I am not top 20 and with all the planned Business trip, I should be able to make SE for the 2nd time. In time to book my EU trip next Summer, i.e. SE no YQ mean AC direct flights. This is one of the major reason for me to do this Wings Run, save on YQ with AP bookings.

Now, I need to work on my lists in Altitude Community

Last edited by alc; May 9, 2015 at 9:59 pm Reason: correct typo
Old May 10, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I do not get it either and it does not get me. Just registered giving them all my vital info and it did not even recognize my SE status which should have started me off with 500 wings.

I think this is just crap. I have far better things to do with my life.
You forgot to mention how you are a long standing SE and MM like you do every other post.

The badges don't show up immediately. The next time they sweep, you'll get it. Keep in mind this promo is restricted to Altitude members so everyone will get the Altitude badge.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Whoo... still can't decide if I'm in or not.
if I do an itinerary that goes YEG-YXE-YQR, and then returns, the wings earn as follows:

YEG - 200 takeoff
YXE - 200 takeoff, 200 landing
YQR - 200 landing
Plus 2,000 for the Badge

YQR - 200 takeoff
YXE - 200 takeoff, 200 landing
YEG - 200 landing
Plus 2,000 for the Badge

Total is 5,600 for the trip?

Or am I reading this wrong?
I think you're reading it right. You would also have two extra YXEs toward your next prairie badges.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by alc
But the major problem was that links of the itineraries that I build on Google Flights were not bookable. All of them got an error after entering the credit card numbers.
Oh, okay, I thought it was just me. It worked fine a few days earlier, but since Thursday, no luck. Hope they fix that soon!
Old May 11, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
How frequently (and rapidly) are others seeing their flights, post to EYW? I'm used to AC flights taking 3-4 days to show up on the Altitude site, but I was kind of expecting flights & badges to show up on EYW at about the same rate & pace.

Right now, my only flights showing on EYW are from April 27/28, despite the fact that I've taken 8 flights since then, 4 of which *are* showing on Altitude. I'm not in a panic, but it seems excessively far behind ...

Are y'all seeing the same thing?
Old May 11, 2015, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In the past, it's updated roughly once a week.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by yultraveler
I found this talk on YouTube by Ian Di Tullio, Air Canada's Director of Loyalty, describing their perspective on Earn Your Wings. He goes in details about their creative process and what's to come; quite interesting. He also mentions that their ROI for the first two EYW was 560% with 156 millions bonus AE points awarded.

Earn your Wings: Objective Based Gamified Promotional Design
That was really interesting. So we now know that Cow and Cargo are both Killers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.