travelgirl_SE (travelgirl)
supremekai
Print Wikipost

Earn Your Wings - Fourth Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, Avis Preferred Plus, Mariott-Titanium
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I like to be in, but too rich for my blood, plus todays algorithm's wont work on my Commodore 64 and machine language!

I see that some of the cheap fares I was looking at late last night on a couple of routes are now up!

My e-mail invite came early, but the system wont authenticate me, the wheel just goes round and round and round. I did register as non altitude player and have 0 wings! Waiting for tech support to get back to me!
Yeah, I haven't been able to Authenticate either. Been trying since early this morning.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I like to be in, but too rich for my blood, plus todays algorithm's wont work on my Commodore 64 and machine language!

I see that some of the cheap fares I was looking at late last night on a couple of routes are now up!

My e-mail invite came early, but the system wont authenticate me, the wheel just goes round and round and round. I did register as non altitude player and have 0 wings! Waiting for tech support to get back to me!
I registered yesterday but have been unable to log on...is same wheel going round and round...

I did not receive an email saying I have registered...should I have received one?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Same thing happened to me. I simply closed and reopened my browser and tried to register again; went through just fine.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
And on the opposite end from the "gamers" on this board, I ran into a 200k+ AQM flier this week that declared EYW as "way too complex, I don't even bother signing-up". Do I even have to add this gentleman was slightly older?

I've decided, like previous years, not even to try. I'll route through YEG a couple more times if I feel like it and that will be it. Good luck & Wing it boys!
There's no harm in signing up. If you fly a lot and book even a month out, you can probably earn a few miles out of it without even trying.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I'm going to bow out of doing anything specifically targeted at EYW4 for various reasons. More room at the top 20 for all! Hopefully this is a profitable venture for AC and for those who spend more!

I think being #1 for EYW1 and EYW3 is enough... I don't like even numbers, and 4 is especially auspicious for some cultures. =)

glta!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
Sigh. Wish they ran this in feb when I was booking all my TPACs.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm going to bow out of doing anything specifically targeted at EYW4 for various reasons. More room at the top 20 for all! Hopefully this is a profitable venture for AC and for those who spend more!

I think being #1 for EYW1 and EYW3 is enough... I don't like even numbers, and 4 is especially auspicious for some cultures. =)

glta!

Won't be the same without you.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There's no harm in signing up. If you fly a lot and book even a month out, you can probably earn a few miles out of it without even trying.
Sorry, that's what I meant. That said, I ran into a 200K+ AQMer that refuses to even look at it because it's too complex.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
LOL

I'm sure it would be a blast to "wing run" with Drunk Cargo and CanadianCow, but bear in mind that placing in the top 20 isn't rocket science. If that is your goal, you can probably win the prize for less money than tagging along with Cargo/Cow as they will no doubt be gunning for top spot and a comfortable lead (110k to 150k wings).

This will be my fourth EYW contest and I have already banked 2 million Aeroplan points from the first three. I didn't use a computer algorithm to achieve this, just some creative routing and creative work scheduling. ITA Matrix is your friend.

Bear in mind that there does appear to be a higher level of interest this time around (at least on this board) and presumably more wing runners than in previous rounds. I'll blame cow for that .

SG
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Sorry, that's what I meant. That said, I ran into a 200K+ AQMer that refuses to even look at it because it's too complex.
Agreed - the amazing thing about this contest is:

(1) Very few uber flyers seriously participate as they are either unwilling or unable to play with routing and schedules and/or simply don't care about additional Aeroplan points. Even top FT flyers (200k to 400k AC flyers) shy away.

(2) Despite fact 1 and despite the obvious wing running and gaming that is taking place, AC keeps running this contest

I am both surprised and delighted by point number 2, as I felt pretty certain that they would stop running it after EYW2 when some of the not so discreet players caused AC some grief after the contest (think EWR runners). Anyway, I am very happy that they keep running the contest. In addition to being the most generous contest I have ever encountered, it is also "fun" which is saying a lot.

SG
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:16 pm

Maybe cow et al. should start paying the other "competitors" on this board not to compete? Nothing like a little collusion...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Maybe cow et al. should start paying the other "competitors" on this board not to compete? Nothing like a little collusion...
The best part is that I don't even think this is against the rules

Hey cow, how much are you going to pay me for not doing this even though I'm not doing it anyways?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
LOL

I'm sure it would be a blast to "wing run" with Drunk Cargo and CanadianCow, but bear in mind that placing in the top 20 isn't rocket science. If that is your goal, you can probably win the prize for less money than tagging along with Cargo/Cow as they will no doubt be gunning for top spot and a comfortable lead (110k to 150k wings).

This will be my fourth EYW contest and I have already banked 2 million Aeroplan points from the first three. I didn't use a computer algorithm to achieve this, just some creative routing and creative work scheduling. ITA Matrix is your friend.

Bear in mind that there does appear to be a higher level of interest this time around (at least on this board) and presumably more wing runners than in previous rounds. I'll blame cow for that .

SG
Heh. In v3, I had worked out an itinerary by hand. It took the same length of time (9 days), was roughly half the cost, and earned roughly half the wings as the one I actually flew. I still would have been top 20.

It's not too hard to come up with something by hand, but there are some really interesting tricks that may not be obvious until you see them.

Since DC is backing out (although I'm going to try to change his mind over dinner), I'm going to need someone else to take his place so I don't go too crazy

Or I can just draw a face on a volleyball, and talk to that. That would be fun

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The best part is that I don't even think this is against the rules

Hey cow, how much are you going to pay me for not doing this even though I'm not doing it anyways?
I'll pay you $100 to come with me.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Or I can just draw a face on a volleyball, and talk to that. That would be fun

Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Well you don't have to explain the joke

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.