Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Happy
Can anyone tell me would YQ being charged all the way if AC is used only for the North America part and the TATL part is SK or LX?
I seem to remember I read somewhere here that AC not always triggers YQ when it is only a segment in the routing.

Also, does TAP have heavy YQ? Most availability I see is on TAP TATL.
No, sometimes you will just pay the domestic scamcharge ($45?) and none for the longhaul, but most of the time thats not there.
TAP does not have YQ at the moment - but also has issues booking (coincidence?)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, sometimes you will just pay the domestic scamcharge ($45?) and none for the longhaul, but most of the time thats not there.
TAP does not have YQ at the moment - but also has issues booking (coincidence?)
Thanks for the updated info.

So the following routing would have very small or no YQ

MIA-YUL-ZRH-VIE with MIA-YUL on AC, the rest on LX
VIE-TPE-HKG on BR
HKG-SIN-PER on SQ
PER-SIN-TPE-XXX-XXX on SQ/BR

The YQ would be limited to the MIA-YUL portion and probably does not even show up...

I see most options are TAP but I have not got down to the actual itineraries yet. Read from other thread TAP booking is having issues... Naturally.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PER-SIN-TPE-XXX-XXX on SQ/BR
I see most options are TAP but I have not got down to the actual itineraries yet. Read from other thread TAP booking is having issues... Naturally.
Looks good, remember your last XXX will have to be MIA if you are doing two stopovers. If one, you are fine for open jaw.
My bet is you wont even see the YQ. We did YYZ-MIA-then rest on TK/LX to SEZ, and there was no YQ for the AC portion.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks good, remember your last XXX will have to be MIA if you are doing two stopovers. If one, you are fine for open jaw.
My bet is you wont even see the YQ. We did YYZ-MIA-then rest on TK/LX to SEZ, and there was no YQ for the AC portion.
Yes. I know the rules. Planning to do some zigging and zagging in Europe from VIE but not quite know where would like to go.

Also thinking about to incorporate a way to return to Venice if possible, if not for anything but a stay at the now more attainable Gritti Palace thanks to the Marriott redemption (need to book before 12/31 so still get the 60K a night pricing versu it goes to 85K or even higher).

Any suggestions on the above? (I understand it very well be separate tickets - can always redeem UA miles for intra EU but not a good use of course).

However a couple months ago a friend booked an itinerary to India. After the rep input the 2 stopovers and the Turn Around, she asked if it was possible to change the departing airport on the inbound direction back to US. Rep tried and the system took it. So she had an open jaw but also the 2 stopovers and 1 destination as a R/T!

See my next post on that itinerary which I just found it from my notes.

How do you like SEZ? I heard the corals have largely died out in recent years. It once was on my buck list for scuba diving but not any more now husband no longer dives.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you like SEZ? I heard the corals have largely died out in recent years. It once was on my buck list for scuba diving but not any more now husband no longer dives.
Using miles around Europe will probably be a waste. The taxes alone will be half the ticket. Flying around (and trains for shorter journeys) is cheap enough. Just get your Aeroplan ticket to stopover, and go from there.

We didnt stay in SEZ, went to Praslin for a week, for a rather inactive beach vacation, and loved it there.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How come this routing can be priced out as it is?

LAX-TPE stopover
TPE-HKG stopover
HKG-SIN-MAA Turnaround
BOM-BKK-TPE-LAX

Note MAA and BOM has an overland portion. Though trip starts from LAX and ends at LAX.

So, does that mean I could have MIA-YUL-ZRH, then resume at VIE?

I am trying to think thru that - in what circumstances an overland segment is allowed and priced out by the system.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. I know the rules. Planning to do some zigging and zagging in Europe from VIE but not quite know where would like to go.

Also thinking about to incorporate a way to return to Venice if possible, if not for anything but a stay at the now more attainable Gritti Palace thanks to the Marriott redemption (need to book before 12/31 so still get the 60K a night pricing versu it goes to 85K or even higher).

Any suggestions on the above? (I understand it very well be separate tickets - can always redeem UA miles for intra EU but not a good use of course).

However a couple months ago a friend booked an itinerary to India. After the rep input the 2 stopovers and the Turn Around, she asked if it was possible to change the departing airport on the inbound direction back to US. Rep tried and the system took it. So she had an open jaw but also the 2 stopovers and 1 destination as a R/T!

See my next post on that itinerary which I just found it from my notes.

How come this routing can be priced out as it is?

LAX-TPE stopover
TPE-HKG stopover
HKG-SIN-MAA Turnaround
BOM-BKK-TPE-LAX

Note MAA and BOM has an overland portion. Though trip starts from LAX and ends at LAX.

So, does that mean I could have MIA-YUL-ZRH, then resume at VIE?

I am trying to think thru that - in what circumstances an overland segment is allowed and priced out by the system.
The overland segment is only allowed at your destination (in above example MAA/BOM). Or at origin as an openjaw.
You officially cant have YYZ-VIE//ZRH-HKG,HKG-YYZ as an itnerary.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using miles around Europe will probably be a waste. The taxes alone will be half the ticket. Flying around (and trains for shorter journeys) is cheap enough. Just get your Aeroplan ticket to stopover, and go from there.

We didnt stay in SEZ, went to Praslin for a week, for a rather inactive beach vacation, and loved it there.
Yeah, we always have supplemented the main redemption with LCCs, trains, long distance buses (the best way to get around The Baltics) and Ferries, including overnight ferries.

Husband says he does not mind to return to Croatia where we have done a 2 weeks driving trip 2 years ago as the first portion of a trip that also included Sydney and Hong Kong in the following 2 weeks (revisit Vivid Sydney was the main purpose, Hong Kong was to see families). I dont mind to return to Croatia - this time to some lesser known islands.
I also want to check out some lesser islands in Greece, and return to Venice, purely for the opportunity to stay at Gritti Palace at reasonable cost... Too many alternatives...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The overland segment is only allowed at your destination (in above example MAA/BOM). Or at origin as an openjaw.
You officially cant have YYZ-VIE//ZRH-HKG,HKG-YYZ as an itnerary.
But I can have it at PER, i.e. the Turnaround (destination), right?

So what about MIA-YUL-ZRH-VIE//VIE-TPE-HKG//HKG-SIN-PER//SYD-SIN (or BKK and pay TG YQ)-TPE-XXX-MIA?

Stopover at VIE and HKG. Destination PER, but fly out from SYD.

Does it work?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it work?
Assuming it's within MPM, yes.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming it's within MPM, yes.
Cool. Thanks a lot for clarifying this.

This would work a lot better.

When I calculate the MPM, I add all the flight segments, as well as the overland segment, correct?

For the MPM, does Great Circle Mapper MIA-PER-MIA works? It gives 11372 one direction for a total of 22,744.

EDIT
I found the MPM thread - it looks to me it is 18K one direction, if I understand it correctly.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:23 pm

Let us know if your itinerary gets successfully validated and ticketed. I don't think it'd be possible since PER-SYD is quite clearly an open-jaw. More likely that the referenced example was incorrectly validated and ticketed, although I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer05
Let us know if your itinerary gets successfully validated and ticketed. I don't think it'd be possible since PER-SYD is quite clearly an open-jaw. More likely that the referenced example was incorrectly validated and ticketed, although I'd love to be proven wrong.
Definitely would report back if I could find seats and get it ticketed. I just started to look at options on building the itinerary. I know where we need / want to have the stopover, PER is there solely for maximization of MPM . It is the outbound to Europe that is giving me trouble, on top of there are much less availability on MIA direct, comparing to a year or more ago when I looked at the possibilities before I built my Aeroplan balance. C'est la Vie.

The successful booking was originally as back from MAA. Then my friend asked could she fly back from BOM instead. Rep said let's see if the system allowed it. It did. So it was ticketed as posted.

I suspect the distance between the 2 points of overland may also play a row. MAA-BOM is much much shorter than PER-SYD.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:34 pm

Finally got all 560,000 miles transferred over to United and now can't find 4 business class seats back from Europe to YYZ near the end of July... literally from ANY city other than DUB. A few days ago, I was seeing options from AMS, ZRH, MXP... It's like Aeroplan pulled its entire inventory. Is this possible? If I wait a few days, might there be a chance it will pop back up?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slaman
Finally got all 560,000 miles transferred over to United and now can't find 4 business class seats back from Europe to YYZ near the end of July... literally from ANY city other than DUB. A few days ago, I was seeing options from AMS, ZRH, MXP... It's like Aeroplan pulled its entire inventory. Is this possible? If I wait a few days, might there be a chance it will pop back up?
You said the transfer is to United? or it is to Aeroplan and you tried to book UA flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.