Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Not really

If you book on a carrier that doesn't charge YQ and then after switch your flights after the first leg is flown to a carrier that does charge YQ then there is no recalculation and collection of additional taxes and such.
Good to know. I take it I would still need to pay the $100 change fee (per direction) if I were roll the dice on this? How would this work if I wanted to change my return leg back to a LH direct to YYZ (supposing there was availability). Would I be on the hook for $100 (covering just the return charge) or would it be $200 (covering both outbound and return)?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Good to know. I take it I would still need to pay the $100 change fee (per direction) if I were roll the dice on this? How would this work if I wanted to change my return leg back to a LH direct to YYZ (supposing there was availability). Would I be on the hook for $100 (covering just the return charge) or would it be $200 (covering both outbound and return)?

Safe Travels,

James
It depends on how thorough the Aeroplan agent is. You see, after you fly the first leg, that leg disappears from the agent's systems. As you fly leg 2, then both leg 1 and 2 drops off. Therefore, chances are you would only be charged the $100, but if the agent dug up the details of your reservation (something they have not done for me), you could be charged $200 depending if you are changing both directions.

I would hope for $100 but expect $200 to be the entirety of the damage to your hard earned money.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
If you book on a carrier that doesn't charge YQ and then after switch your flights after the first leg is flown to a carrier that does charge YQ then there is no recalculation and collection of additional taxes and such.
This is one aspect of the mRTW I've never explored.

So, if I'm booked on a YOW-SIN mRTW that ends with ICN-FRA-ZRH-YUL-YOW, on LX, and I can find award space, I could instead switch to ICN-LHR-YOW and pay only the change fee?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

The non-recalculation of YQ when changing after travel has started is not written in any rules. How it's done in practice may vary. I've done it once, the agent wanted to charge me YQ, I then said I thought surcharges are not recalculated after travel started, the agent agreed and did not charge me in the end. But there is no guarantee.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YOWgary
This is one aspect of the mRTW I've never explored.

So, if I'm booked on a YOW-SIN mRTW that ends with ICN-FRA-ZRH-YUL-YOW, on LX, and I can find award space, I could instead switch to ICN-LHR-YOW and pay only the change fee?
Yes

Originally Posted by echino
The non-recalculation of YQ when changing after travel has started is not written in any rules. How it's done in practice may vary. I've done it once, the agent wanted to charge me YQ, I then said I thought surcharges are not recalculated after travel started, the agent agreed and did not charge me in the end. But there is no guarantee.
I beg to differ. I have had agents tried to recalculate YQ, and I said no, as per policy, you do not recalculate YQ after the first segment is flown. If they insist further, then ask them, would you refund me YQ if I was charged in the first place and I rerouted to avoid them after the first leg? (the answer is no, they would never refund you YQ). Something about a cake and eating it too.

On my Aeroplan profile (all calls are recorded), I have used this several times, and they have a recording of a conversation I had with a supervisor discussing this. Whenever they try to "used car salesman" me, I tell them to listen to the recording.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
ok, so lets say I have YYZ-IAD(stop)-IST on TK. And then I after I fly YYZ-IAD, I can change to IAD-FRA-IST on LH, I would not be charged LH YQ, AND German taxes?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:43 pm

Does Aeroplan's maximum permitted milage (MPM) still apply when doing such a change? Would be curious to see what other Aeroplan rules I can break pulling this stunt.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok, so lets say I have YYZ-IAD(stop)-IST on TK. And then I after I fly YYZ-IAD, I can change to IAD-FRA-IST on LH, I would not be charged LH YQ, AND German taxes?
If the flight is at airport control and it gets switched while at the airport, they won't make you pay additional taxes. If it's not at airport control, and you're calling Aeroplan to make a change after the first leg is flown, you should be charged the additional taxes, in this case. However, I haven't been charged although my understanding is that only YQ, and only YQ, is not recalculated.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Does Aeroplan's maximum permitted milage (MPM) still apply when doing such a change? Would be curious to see what other Aeroplan rules I can break pulling this stunt.
I have broken the rule of forbidding passengers from flying back through an airport they have flown through several times. I believe I may have broken MPM once or twice but I don't know for sure as I did not recalculate.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:02 pm

One other question: does this trick work if you were forced to book a mixed cabin itinerary initially and say a couple days before departure say an all J itinerary becomes available (i.e. LH is notorious for not opening up premium cabin seats to partners until t-14). If so do you have to pay anything extra (miles or $) given you've already "paid" the J fare (but just couldn't get the cabin at the time)?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX, Air Miles, SPG
Super new to this, so forgive my (maybe) ignorant query. Looking to fly into Europe 1 (in Y, I don't want to transfer more from AMEX) and do some backpacking including the following: BRU, AMS, ZRH, GVA, NCE (likely order). Travelling with a friend that has start/end point at YHZ, while mine is YYZ and the ideal flight would be (YHZ-)YYZ-BRU with the reverse in return on SN... looked up the flights two days ago using the AP site for Sept. 2018 (I know only 8 months out) and it was giving me availability for the YYZ-BRU leg for two people... now it is not... just for one (even on the United site). So here goes:
A) Can I book both itineraries together or will they have to be separate because of the dif. start end points YHZ vs YYZ (eg. same booking ref. #)
B) If I can't find flights together on the outbound/inbound leg would I be able to instead route YYZ-YUL-BRU and YHZ-YUL-BRU (if available)? Ideally want the TATL leg to be the same for both of us... and would prefer not to connect in the US. Would also consider a ZRH start in Europe but I understand it's hard to find availability on Swiss this late in the game. Would like to leave before Labour Day and be back for the 16th as we have some time constraints to work with.

TIA!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:22 am

A) They will need to be different tickets since the itinerary is likely since the itineraries aren't the same (generally you need to be travelling on same itinerary to share booking reference #). That being said if you and your plan could both get on the phone with Aeroplan (perhaps as a 3-way call?) I bet they could book/hold both tickets simultaneously ensuring you don't run into a situation where you've got your itinerary but your pal can't secure their itinerary.
B) That should be valid per Aeroplan's website. In particular plugging YHZ-BRU into search lists options that involve backtracking (i.e. heading to YYZ to catch connecting flight).

Generally for these bookings I'd recommend calling Aeroplan and speaking to an agent. They seem to be more flexible with the rules and you'll likely find that it was worth spending the extra $30 to do it over the phone versus online.

A couple things to consider:
  1. How set are you about going BRU, AMS, ZRH, GVA and NCE in that order? If you fly into ZRH you can fly Swiss which means you'll avoid paying the dreaded Air Canada surcharge (often hundreds of dollars)? Also ZRH is a major rail hub meaning it'll be easy to get to pretty much anywhere in Europe.
  2. Have you determined which segments you are travelling by ground (i.e. train) vs by air? Aeroplan allows you add 2 extra stops on these itineraries so long as you book your travel as one "roundtrip" ticket (i.e. you could go YYZ -> ZRH then ZRH -> GVA then GVA -> BRU and finally BRU -> YYZ for the same number of points as YYZ -> BRU return). You would then only need to cover the transport for AMS and NCE which could save you some money. You can add 1 stop for free using the Aeroplan website (just specify multi-city when searching and add in the extra city you want to visit as the 2nd segment) or call if you need to add 2 stops.
  3. Do you need to arrive in BRU and return from BRU for this trip? Searching Aeroplan you might find that certain one-ways would share a common TATL segment with you and your pal for the outbound and return (i.e. YYZ -> YUL -> ZRH on the way out and let's say BRU -> YYZ on the way back). Aeroplan allows you to return from a different city than where you departed to for free as well. If doing this online you would just specify multi-city and specify the first segment (i.e. YYZ -> AMS) for your outbound and the return segment (i.e. GVA -> YYZ as the return) .
You may want to look into ExpertFlyer (I believe they have a free trial) as that will show you award availability down to the number of award seats available per segment which will also help in planning.

On a side note, connecting in the US is not necessarily a bad thing considering United doesn't charge any silly fees. If you do choose this option don't fly into EWR (ghetto airport) or ORD (always seems to be delays and bad weather). Best bet would be IAD from my experience (would appreciate fellow FTers feedback on this one though). Only downside is if checking bags you'll have re-check the bags when you enter the US (but you shouldn't be checking bags since it easily adds an hour to your travel experience).

You may also want to consider Nexus which costs $50 every 5 years. Primary benefits are you bypass the long security and immigration lines in Canada and the US. I've been a member since 2016 and actually prefer flying into/connecting through US airports due to the cheaper fares, better schedule availability and the fact that flying to the US about the same amount of time as flying within Canada.

Here are some sites to explore if you're looking to book travel within Europe:
  • Google Flights - Does a decent job of showing flight options between European cities including showing fares for discount operators like RyanAir and EasyJet
  • SBB - Swiss train operator which operates trains within and between Switzerland allows you to check schedule, pricing and purchase tickets online
  • NS - Dutch train operator with similar capabilities
  • Belgain Rail - Belgian train operator with similar capabilities
  • SNCF - French train operator with similar capabilities
  • OuiBus - French bus operator (subsidiary of SNCF) with similar capabilities as above
When travelling abroad mobile data is a godsend, especially for Google Maps and Uber. Would recommend signing up for a roaming package (i.e. Roger's Roam Like Home) if available. Alternatively you can pick up prepaid SIM cards at most airports for minimal cost (i.e. 15-20 EUR). Make sure your cellphone is unlocked - all carriers in Canada must now unlock your phone free of charge per CRTC regulations

All this travel planning does take considerable time but I can assure you that it's worth the hassle in terms of reducing the amount of taxes+fees you pay (to make it a truly free fare) while optimizing the routing.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Same here

YUL or ORD/JFK would be easier to find availability, for ex-East Coast
e.g. My trip to Turkey was YYZ-YUL-IST, IST-ORD-YYZ b/c YYZ-IST isn't available

However, I did see and book YYZ-IST for March 2018 in Y, in mid 2017
Should try YYZ-ORD-IST for polaris lounge access
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AP, AM
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
The Istanbul lounge is my favourite lounge. Roaming masseuse, RC Car Racing, golf simulator, so many food stations... I was sad when I had to board my flight. Luckily Turkish has a great product, especially when sitting up front.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
How would this have Polaris lounge access? TK flies out of a completely different terminal.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:12 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
How would this have Polaris lounge access? TK flies out of a completely different terminal.
In reading this I assumed visiting the Polaris lounge after arrival into ORD before schlepping over to T5. Only really useful if you have a long layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.