Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Chuvash
Can you get a YQ refund on no shows.
No, Чуваш. You can only get YQ refund if you change the ticket before departure. Any changes after you fly the first segment, or no show, will not result in taxes or YQ refund.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Chuvash
Hi everybody, sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.
I'm planning a one way SYD to LCY in P. This routing would be 130K but only 110K if I add a segment to North America. I have checked the flight to YYT it's within the MPM, but the added YQ and UK tax are 350 even in Y.
I'm wondering whether I'd be entitled to a refun of these taxes if I happen to miss the flight to YYT, i.e. Can you get a YQ refund on no shows.

Thanks in advance.
That makes no sense.

If it's a one way, YQ is calculated on origin to destination unless you add other YQ carriers, and apd doesn't apply on connecting itineraries anyways
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by echino
No, Чуваш. You can only get YQ refund if you change the ticket before departure. Any changes after you fly the first segment, or no show, will not result in taxes or YQ refund.
I got the taxes refunded when I cancelled the return part of a ticket. Just had to do it before the one year period to reuse was up. Fairly easy. Have done it twice for a AE tx and once on Hawaiian.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Originally Posted by crimsona
That makes no sense.

If it's a one way, YQ is calculated on origin to destination unless you add other YQ carriers, and apd doesn't apply on connecting itineraries anyways
Sorry I should have been more precise. I'm trying to estimate the increase in tax resulting from this added segment I'm not gonna fly. My real question, which I think I've received an answer for is can I get a YQ refund for unused segments. I wasn't sure if there was a difference between dumping a whole return routing, and dumping just one segment as in a hidden city ticket. As far as I understand I would only get the airport tax back since it's paid only if you fly the segment.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:25 am

You wouldn't be charged the apd in the first place if you have it all in one booking

And Australia to North America YQ is significantly different from Australia to Europe to North America. There might not be any incremental YQ, given that AC Sydney to YVR one way comes out cheaper than expected
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Possibly no TG YQ anymore
some data point from others

Originally Posted by moops380
I just booked a ticket with no TG YQ asia-europe and North america to asia via europe (eur-asia on tg) see up a few posts for exact routing.
Originally Posted by YYT82
Since May 1st 2016 TG has eliminated YQ on premium classes for award tickets (not sure if they reduced YQ on Y award tickets). Aeroplan continued collecting YQ on TG flights up until last month when I searched for TG flights. I just did a dummy booking for CDG-BKK in TG first class and the breakdown no longer shows YQ.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Possibly no TG YQ anymore
some data point from others
There are some posts on the TG forum that claim YQ is only waived for flights originating or ticketed in Thailand, as well as the YQ potentially coming back in April 2017. Interested in seeing a few more data points on this one; have a trip I'm eyeing for the fall that would be much easier to book if I could use use TG without incurring YQ.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:21 pm

Hi! I have a question about Lufthansa YQ. Should I avoid this airline completely, or is it okay to use it for stopovers for domestic European flights?

Eg. If I'm flying Brussels/United for my intercontinental flights from Canada to Europe but I have to take a domestic flight from Venice to Frankfurt using Lufthansa, will my fees be a lot more than if I were to reroute with say, Swiss Airlines? Or will the difference be nominal? (less than $30?)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by alpinion
Hi! I have a question about Lufthansa YQ. Should I avoid this airline completely, or is it okay to use it for stopovers for domestic European flights?

Eg. If I'm flying Brussels/United for my intercontinental flights from Canada to Europe but I have to take a domestic flight from Venice to Frankfurt using Lufthansa, will my fees be a lot more than if I were to reroute with say, Swiss Airlines? Or will the difference be nominal? (less than $30?)
The best way to see what the difference would be is to put VCE to FRA using Lufthansa into the ITA matrix, and see what the YQ is. In this case, it would be $64.

In this case, you are looking at
Italy Security Bag Charge (EX) CA$1.80
Italy Passenger Service Charge Departure (MJ) CA$1.10
Italy Council City Tax (HB) CA$9.60
Italy Security Charge (VT) CA$6.60
Italy Embarkation Tax (IT) CA$14.50
LH YQ surcharge (YQ) CA$63.70

LH YR surcharge (YR) CA$23.70
Old May 5, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

just note that LX may not show up or bookable on Aeroplan.com or phone

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aeroplan.html
Old May 6, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
The incompetence continues unabated at the Aeroplan call centre.

Changing a Business Class award - trip has already commenced - as follows:

MAD-LIS-EWR-YYZ TP Business/AC Business
to
MAD-MUC-YYZ LH Business

Original YQ charged with AC YYZ-MAD Businss outbound was $772 CAD (awful, but within the range of scamming by AP) and today's agent spends 20 mins playing around and comes back with an add coll of....$952 CAD. WTH?

The odd thing is that she did not sound like a new hire, but when I questioned the amount she was dismissive and made it sound like spending nearly $2K in taxes/fees/fuel surcharges was perfectly normal.

On hold for a supervisor, but honestly AC needs to fire this company once and for all.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Should it really be that surprising that switching to Lufthansa results in a higher cost? Isn't it well known that they have some of the highest surcharges/fees?
Old May 6, 2017, 2:57 pm

But not 1.8 worth
Old May 6, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Ah. my bad! I misinterpreted that as going from $772 to $952 each for 2 ppl
Old May 7, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
The incompetence continues unabated at the Aeroplan call centre.

Changing a Business Class award - trip has already commenced - as follows:

MAD-LIS-EWR-YYZ TP Business/AC Business
to
MAD-MUC-YYZ LH Business

Original YQ charged with AC YYZ-MAD Businss outbound was $772 CAD (awful, but within the range of scamming by AP) and today's agent spends 20 mins playing around and comes back with an add coll of....$952 CAD. WTH?

The odd thing is that she did not sound like a new hire, but when I questioned the amount she was dismissive and made it sound like spending nearly $2K in taxes/fees/fuel surcharges was perfectly normal.

On hold for a supervisor, but honestly AC needs to fire this company once and for all.
Hmm, I thought changes AFTER the trip started won't trigger any YQ change (can be good or bad depending on what you paid originally)

so in your case it should've just been the change fee and no extra YQ
Guess not

Hope it turned out OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.