Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by mk7735
Hey Guys,
Looking to book the following in business for 2019 ideally:
YVR -> ATH
ATH -> DBV
DBV -> YVR
This is a complete legal itinerary (albeit not the most ambitious). Checking the Aeroplan site it will build out the itinerary for you. However, a difficulty is the segment between ATH and DBV where availability is limited (at least online). You could make use of an open jaw (see below) so flying something like YVR -> ATH then say CDG->YVR.

Here are the rules Aeroplan sets out for international award bookings:
You can either have 2 stopovers between your origin and destination or 1 stopover and 1 open jaw.

To give you a recent example of how I've used this trick, I booked the following for 80,000 miles in economy (same number of points required to travel roundtrip in economy between YYZ and DXB):
1) YYZ -> DXB
2) DXB -> CAI
3) CAI -> ZRH
4) ZRH -> YYZ

To make that booking I had to book it over the phone, where I was charged a $30 booking fee. If booking J for a family I'd highly recommend this over doing it online since the agents can often find availability or routings you won't see on the Aeroplan site (the itinerary . To avoid the nasty surprise of taxes and fees you need to avoid certain airlines like Air Canada and Lufthansa (see here). From a routing standpoint that means you want to be flying either United, Swiss, Croatian, Aegean, etc to get you to where you want to be. On a side note, as an E50K there should be no taxes & fees for AC flights within Canada/US so they may not charge you taxes & fees on AC segments that lay directly inside North America (i.e. YVR -> EWR on AC). If that is the case then the itinerary could be built out as follows:

1) YVR -> EWR on AC (signature 787 experience)
2) EWR -> FRA on UA
3) FRA -> ATH on A3

Another example using this approach would be:
1) YVR -> YUL on AC (signature 787 experience)
2) YUL -> ZRH on LX
3) ZRH -> ATH on LX

(1-3 would count as one direction of travel so you'd be free to have 2 stopovers or 1 stopover and a open jaw). Do the opposite to return back to YVR. Between YVR and ATH there's a lot to explore and stopover for free (here are some ideas):
  • San Francisco
  • Chicago
  • New York
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • London, England
  • Paris
  • Madrid
  • Barcelona
  • Rome
  • Zurich
  • Copenhagen
  • Frankfurt
  • Vienna
Of course all of these routings and suggestions are hypothetical and depend on seat availability at time of booking which can be especially challenging if travelling with family in tow. You may want to look into a tool like ExpertFlyer which will allow you to scan out the award availability at a much larger scale than a single query on the Aeroplan site. Also speaking with a phone agent can be useful in pinpointing the ideal itinerary. Aeroplan agents don't charge any fee if you call and just ask them a bunch of questions on availability (i.e. they only charge if you make an actual booking). I've used this trick on several occasions to make tricky bookings like YOW -> YFB on Canadian North where availability is notorious to find even with tools like ExpertFlyer.

Hope that provides some insight.

Safe Travels,

​​​​​​​James
prmetime likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks!! Appreciate the help!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:01 pm

I did a quick search but can't quite find an answer.

I secured ORD-FRA-GLA in LH F and booked it as a OW bc I couldn't find a return segment.

A feasible return itinerary finally appeared. Is it feasible for me to add a return segment, turn my original booking into a RT and take advantage of the free stop overs?

What are the fees incurred?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by coltonatx
I did a quick search but can't quite find an answer.

I secured ORD-FRA-GLA in LH F and booked it as a OW bc I couldn't find a return segment.

A feasible return itinerary finally appeared. Is it feasible for me to add a return segment, turn my original booking into a RT and take advantage of the free stop overs?

What are the fees incurred?
You will have to cancel your out bound with no guarantee that it will be back in inventory.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I just saw something weird and I am at a complete loss as how to continue: I had a YVR-LHR-VIE flight with much lower YQ than YVR-LHR and since this happens with paid fares, that was good. I was lining up the return flight and when I refreshed it jumped to the YVR-LHR YQ! Should I wait? Which one is the fluke?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Does anyone know if Swiss releases seats in intervals?
I am looking for late November flights and had one until last week(YUL-ZRH) I waited too long and lost it .
Is it worth waiting ?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
Does anyone know if Swiss releases seats in intervals?
I am looking for late November flights and had one until last week(YUL-ZRH) I waited too long and lost it .
Is it worth waiting ?
Have you looked into UA? I find they tend to have more availability on that route and, like LX, don't charge any YQ for the privilege of flying them. Flying through to ZRH on UA is a breeze (i.e. bags will check through to ZRH) thanks to pre-clearance. On the way back, it might be a pain to fly them since you have to clear immigration stateside, recheck bags, re-clear security, etc. Perhaps that leg could be the one operated by LX?

Also are you flying in Y or J? Consensus from FT community is that bulk of J availability on the LH Group (incl LX) tends to be released within the last 2-3 weeks.

Finally, if you're *A Gold (i.e. AC E50,E750,SE) or travelling in J you'll have access to the AC Maple Leaf Lounge at YUL and Swiss lounge at ZRH. The LX lounge at ZRH is one of the best European *A lounges I've been to (i.e. good food spread including omelette station with chef during morning grind).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Have you looked into UA? I find they tend to have more availability on that route and, like LX, don't charge any YQ for the privilege of flying them. Flying through to ZRH on UA is a breeze (i.e. bags will check through to ZRH) thanks to pre-clearance. On the way back, it might be a pain to fly them since you have to clear immigration stateside, recheck bags, re-clear security, etc. Perhaps that leg could be the one operated by LX?

Also are you flying in Y or J? Consensus from FT community is that bulk of J availability on the LH Group (incl LX) tends to be released within the last 2-3 weeks.

Finally, if you're *A Gold (i.e. AC E50,E750,SE) or travelling in J you'll have access to the AC Maple Leaf Lounge at YUL and Swiss lounge at ZRH. The LX lounge at ZRH is one of the best European *A lounges I've been to (i.e. good food spread including omelette station with chef during morning grind).

Safe Travels,

James
I'm looking for business , I collect miles with Aeroplan so cant use UA( if thats what u meant ) Also I dont see any UA reward ticket on aeroplan . I have heard about the 2 week rule too but its for F on LH . For Swiss it was showing availability few days ago.

Last edited by tdot_guy; Sep 1, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:18 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Swiss availability is up and down as of late due to Aeroplan IT more than anything, it appears. It was back a couple days ago but appears to be gone again. Searching for GVA-ZRH is a good measure of this. If you can't see that route on Aeroplan, you know things are just not working.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Swiss availability is up and down as of late due to Aeroplan IT more than anything, it appears. It was back a couple days ago but appears to be gone again. Searching for GVA-ZRH is a good measure of this. If you can't see that route on Aeroplan, you know things are just not working.
You guys are right , its available as Business saver on united, but when I called them they said they dont see anything . so frustrating. If its available on business saver on UA I would hope it should be available on Aeroplan
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:26 pm

I'm looking for business , I collect miles with Aeroplan so cant use UA( if thats what u meant ) Also I dont see any UA reward ticket on aeroplan . I have heard about the 2 week rule too but its for F on LH . For Swiss it was showing availability few days ago.
Good news! There are some non-stop flights between YUL and ZRH. I've just checked my MilagePlus account and see the following:

Other possible dates include Sunday Nov 18, Sun Nov 25, Tues Nov 27, Wed Nov 28, and Fri Nov 30. You might be asking yourself, "What does United's availability have anything to do with Aeroplan?" Well, it turns out that *A partners like AC and UA all draw from the same fare availability/buckets. So if you see something crop up on a partner airline's program (in Saver, I,) you can generally request that from your program. Hence, it seems like Aeroplan's IT systems have messed up here. I'd strongly recommend calling Aeroplan and requesting them to book you on one of those flights with availability. Sure you'll pay a small phone booking fee but you'll guarantee you've got a J seat rather than sitting around and praying you end up getting one in the end. Heck, you might even get the agent to waive the fee since the website doesn't let you book it!

Hope that provides some insight.

Safe Travels,

James
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:30 pm

Thank you, the agent I called did not help, she said she does not see any thing I'll try again
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:46 pm

Thank you, the agent I called did not help, she said she does not see any thing I'll try again
Ya try calling again trying those dates. I know with Aeroplan it can be an ordeal at times to get a darned ticket issued. I remember being on the phone with them for 5 hours last year in Germany just to get a ticket to Iqaluit issued on Canadian North! Totally worth the hassle tho!

-James
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:21 pm

So the agent I spoke to just now told me that they have temporarily removed SAS, SWISS and ANA from their booking tool as "Something is broken" , according to him no one can book on those airlines through Aeroplan/AC . He said to keep checking and it might ok by monday.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So the agent I spoke to just now told me that they have temporarily removed SAS, SWISS and ANA from their booking tool as "Something is broken" , according to him no one can book on those airlines through Aeroplan/AC . He said to keep checking and it might ok by monday.
Problem is it might be a Monday in the distant future.
tdot_guy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.