Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Happy
Can anyone tell me would YQ being charged all the way if AC is used only for the North America part and the TATL part is SK or LX?

I seem to remember I read somewhere here that AC not always triggers YQ when it is only a segment in the routing.

Also, does TAP have heavy YQ? Most availability I see is on TAP TATL.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, sometimes you will just pay the domestic scamcharge ($45?) and none for the longhaul, but most of the time thats not there.
TAP does not have YQ at the moment - but also has issues booking (coincidence?)
YUL YYZ has $42.00 YQ with total taxes $90.97. ZRH YYZ with the YUL stop, with Intl on LX is just the $47 Swiss Passenger Security and Noise Charge.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:15 pm

YYZ to FRA, avoiding taxes

Hi all

Is there anyway to fly to Europe using Aeroplan and avoiding the crazy taxes? Want to fly business class.. 110,000 points but nearly $1200 in taxes.

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
Hi all

Is there anyway to fly to Europe using Aeroplan and avoiding the crazy taxes? Want to fly business class.. 110,000 points but nearly $1200 in taxes.

Thanks

There's thread for that

How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Read @jerryhung's OP

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24561633-post1.html
flyquiet and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you certain that the $1,200 is all taxes?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
​​​​​​
not all "taxes" per se no.. but taxes and fees.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
I've seen some people who didn't click the "details" for the taxes and fees to see the breakdown.

Quick example for an economy return ticket

@bennyblanco

Is this approximately what you are seeing?

Last edited by 24left; Mar 23, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:29 pm

Oh I clicked. Just used to booking aa or Aeroplan to Asia on jal or Ana and paying $75 in fees. $1200 is crazy.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Oh I clicked. Just used to booking aa or Aeroplan to Asia on jal or Ana and paying $75 in fees. $1200 is crazy.
Well, comparing Aeroplan to AA or ANA or UA isn't the same playing field.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Fly LOT/TAP/UA - small/none scamfees
Otherwise, its a double connect with LX
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Would a mod like to change the title of this thread from "taxes" to "fees"?

Taxes have something ot do with what you are seeing, but most of it is airline imposed fees, which can be avoided as @rankourabu points out.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC SE
What was that saying about death and taxes...?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:29 pm

Sorry guys.. I'm a newb when it comes to booking these kind of flights with Aeroplan. To confirm, can I find reward seats with those other carriers and then call.into Aeroplan to book?

Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou
What was that saying about death and taxes...?
Cannot be avoided. (or good planning for taxes)

But carrier imposed award surcharges (=100% airline profit) can be avoided with careful selection of a frequent flyer program and/or award airline/routes.
Carrier imposed award surcharges are not taxes. But is still money out of your pocket.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Sorry guys.. I'm a newb when it comes to booking these kind of flights with Aeroplan. To confirm, can I find reward seats with those other carriers and then call.into Aeroplan to book?

Thank you.
Correct. Read the thread referenced above.
Calling in sometimes is well worth the $34 fee
The website is designed to give you AC options first (or only) - since thats what makes most money in ACs pocket.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Thank you.

@bennyblanco
A couple of things.....

It isn't about being new to booking trips on miles or even booking paid trips. I've been here for a bit and I learn something new every day. Some of it is beneficial to my travel, some of it...not so much.

It's about learning how to be more efficient (if that's the word) when booking either, so that we get where we want to go for what we feel is the best spend (money and miles).

It's about not making assumptions that just because carrier surcharges and other fees are lower when flying to Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong etc, that this will also be the case when flying to some destinations in Europe, or flying certain airlines. Similarly, just because booking in other FFPs such as with AA or UA etc for low costs, certainly does not mean this is the case with AC or Aeroplan.

In the second post in this thread, I provided a link to another excellent thread where you can do some reading and learn about ways to minimize and reduce many of these carrier surcharges.

You also need to understand that some destinations do have additional passenger landing charges or duties. And in some cases, the carrier surcharges combined with these other charges will leave you with a $1,200 cost on your mileage reward ticket.

You can certainly call Aeroplan, but don't expect an agent to hand you a platter of destinations and routings with low surcharges or passenger landing taxes.

If you don't have the time or interest to look for routings or airline that have lower costs, then you can hire anyone of a number of people who provide services where you pay them a fee to do this work for you.

Good luck and happy travels.
jasdou likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.