Wiki Posts
Search

YQ waiver is going to be fun...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Show me documentation for why the others shouldn't be charged (and that means more than "United doesn't charge it"), and I'll call right back
If I had the documentation, I'd be showing it to a class action lawyer not you

So for the transport tax we have heard these two excuses:
1. Its not a $0 ticket (well, now it is - and they collect it on UA metal - with zero YQ anway)
2. AE is a seperate entity - bullocks - so is Avios.

The main statement on the phone was "we've always collected this".
So its like the mob - but we always collected protection money - so it must be ok
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here is the full section:
6-15. FREQUENT FLYER AWARDS. Section 204 of the Federal Aviation
Administration Authorization Act of 1994, Public Law No. 103-305, enacted on
August 23, 1994, [codified at 49 U.S.C. 40117(e)(2)(C)], precludes collection of a PFC
from a passenger enplaning at an airport if the passenger did not pay for the air
transportation which resulted in such enplanement, including any case in which the
passenger obtained the ticket for the air transportation with a frequent flyer award
coupon without monetary payment.
The FAA interprets this provision to prohibit the collection of PFC's from passengers
considered to be nonrevenue passengers under existing DOT Regulations and from
passengers who obtained their ticket with an award coupon issued under a frequent
flyer or similar bonus award program ("frequent flyer award coupon"). For purposes of
this provision, the FAA considers a "frequent flyer award coupon" to be a zero-fare
award of air transportation that an air carrier or foreign air carrier provides to a
passenger in exchange for accumulated travel mileage
or trip credits in a customer
loyalty program. The definition of "frequent flyer award" does not extend to redemption
of accumulated credits for awards of additional or upgraded service on trips for which
the passenger has paid a published fare. The FAA does not construe §204 as applying
to "two-for-the-price-of-one" and similar marketing programs, or to air transportation
purchased for a passenger by other parties.
The bolded part is important. It says "zero fare", not "zero cost". I would argue that YQ is not part of the fare, right? Either way, I didn't pay any YQ on my bookings.

And even a month ago I booked two people on a roundtrip domestic UA, and was charged a $9 XF (the code for Passenger Facility Charge). There was no YQ on that booking.

The main statement on the phone was "we've always collected this".
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If I had the documentation, I'd be showing it to a class action lawyer not you

So for the transport tax we have heard these two excuses:
1. Its not a $0 ticket (well, now it is)
2. AE is a seperate entity - bullocks - so is Avios.
Well now you have documentation for the PFC, which Aeroplan has been adding to YQ-free UA bookings forever. I'm escalating through Aeroplan, but feel free to talk to a lawyer, since that one is a VERY obvious case.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this, but I will definitely post back when I get a return call.

Also, I have a very strong suspicion that all that money has been going to the FAA. I don't think they're just pocketing it. Not sure that makes a difference, but it might make recovery more challenging.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well now you have documentation for the PFC, which Aeroplan has been adding to YQ-free UA bookings forever. I'm escalating through Aeroplan, but feel free to talk to a lawyer, since that one is a VERY obvious case.
I'll let others who are far more qualified and intersted in this to handle the "recovery"

Just like you have a strong suspicion, I also have a very strong suspicion that the FAA has not been seeing a penny of these "taxes", and that AC is pocketing it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:03 pm
alc

I was comparing the north america flight that I booked this morning where the only different now between Market Fare and classic flight is the NAV CAN charge. This is where Market Fare do not charge NAV CAN & YQ for N.A. flights while ClassicFlight only waived the YQ as discuss on this thread.

So, in related to the NAV CAN charge discussion above, not sure why AP charge it on one and not on the other.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I think the US International Transportation Tax is the one we think is because Aeroplan is buying the tickets from Air Canada, so they're not "free" tickets?
So AE buys tickets from AC, but UA doesn't? Something smells.

Since this is the big one, let's try to figure out what the heck this is.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Not sure where this is coming from. I've said before I can't disclose the details of the often complex and unique tripartite agreements, but I will say it's not as simple as this.
If its not simple for you to collect the money, its even harder for us to pay it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
So AE buys tickets from AC, but UA doesn't? Something smells.

Since this is the big one, let's try to figure out what the heck this is.
Well, UA issues their own tickets, right? They buy FLIGHTS from AC, but not TICKETS.

I agree that something smells, and I'm more than happy to be the guy who goes through Aeroplan for this, with reasonable documentation.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, UA issues their own tickets, right? They buy FLIGHTS from AC, but not TICKETS.
ok ok, forget UA - lets talk Avios - they certainly dont issue their own tickets - and none of this is charged on USA-Canada tickets.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

ok ok, forget UA - lets talk Avios - they certainly dont issue their own tickets - and none of this is charged on USA-Canada tickets.
I agree that something strange is happening, but having looked up the Nav Canada fee, there is no reason I could find to not charge it on all tickets. Airlines pay a fixed cost per flight to Nav Canada, not per revenue passenger. UA doesn't have to charge the 9/11 fee, right? They just have to pay it to the FAA or TSA or whomever, for every passenger, regardless of whether they collected it. The Nav Canada fee is like that. UA is paying, per flight, regardless of who's on it or what fare they paid. The fact that it isn't collected doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be collected.

I'm FAR more interested in why a previous poster said a Market Fare wasn't charging the Nav Canada fee.

When I get home I'm going to look up the US Transportation Tax to see when it's supposed to be charged though.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I agree that something strange is happening, but having looked up the Nav Canada fee, there is no reason I could find to not charge it on all tickets. Airlines pay a fixed cost per flight to Nav Canada, not per revenue passenger. UA doesn't have to charge the 9/11 fee, right? They just have to pay it to the FAA or TSA or whomever, for every passenger, regardless of whether they collected it. The Nav Canada fee is like that. UA is paying, per flight, regardless of who's on it or what fare they paid. The fact that it isn't collected doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be collected.

I'm FAR more interested in why a previous poster said a Market Fare wasn't charging the Nav Canada fee.

When I get home I'm going to look up the US Transportation Tax to see when it's supposed to be charged though.
Market fares have less fees and taxes as the upcharge in points is supposed to cover such fees and make the customer think they are getting a deal.

This is the same ethos as why Air Miles devalued their award chart and upped the point usage to hid the YQ (their biggest complaint surprise surprise).

Last edited by kwflyer; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not just UA - no other FFP/airline charges NAVCAN on award tickets - just AC/AE. Are you saying they are all paying the fee on their customers behalf, come on.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Its not just UA - no other FFP/airline charges NAVCAN on award tickets - just AC/AE. Are you saying they are all paying the fee on their customers behalf, come on.
It's a fixed fee per flight, regardless of whether it's empty, full of Aeroplan tickets, or full of full fare passengers.

So yes, they're all paying the fee.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So yes, they're all paying the fee.
but AC is the only ones to pass it on to their valued redeeming members
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

but AC is the only ones to pass it on to their valued redeeming members
Correct.

I can't really find any documentation on the US International Transportation/Departure/Arrival Tax, other than a chart of current and historical amounts, and a little blurb saying it applies to all departing/arriving passengers.

Certainly nothing like the 200 page PDF on the Passenger Facility Charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.