Wiki Posts
Search

YQ waiver is going to be fun...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
"The taxes are... wait what? This should be over $1000! Oh you're Super Elite! $135."
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Two bookings done. On the phone for a third.

"I" inventory disappeared on LHR-YVR on a day I was looking at yesterday, and there's no R either. But I just realized the timing doesn't work out anyway, so I've just booked four TATL flights in Y. Sigh.

Let's hope R opens up, or another airline in "I".
Has it been confirmed that IKK J space is available only when R>0 ?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Has it been confirmed that IKK J space is available only when R>0 ?
Anecdotally, definitely. I can't recall if Ben ever commented on that, but I've never seen any contradictions to that.

I wish we could just waitlist for an upgrade ahead of time. This is where EF alerts can really pay off
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Anecdotally, definitely. I can't recall if Ben ever commented on that, but I've never seen any contradictions to that.

I wish we could just waitlist for an upgrade ahead of time. This is where EF alerts can really pay off
Testing various routes this morning also appears to confirm this. I have just set up R space award alerts for a couple award tickets.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Testing various routes this morning also appears to confirm this. I have just set up R space award alerts for a couple award tickets.
Yep.

My biggest complaint is that on most of the international flights I looked at, I=R, drastically reducing any benefit of IKK. However, this is not true on ALL flights, so there's still SOME benefit.

At least within North America, it's fairly common to see flights R9 I0 months in advance, which means there is a tangible benefit.

I have a feeling I might change my flights though if R doesn't open up. I'm on one (old) 77W, but the other three trips are a 787, so if they're not still J9 closer to departure, I'm probably going to want a bigger J cabin.

Either way, the lack of YQ makes me not care at all about having to pay a one time $90 change fee. Yesterday my LHR-YYZ-SFO was over $1000. Today it was around $320. The flights that didn't touch LHR were MUCH cheaper ($48 for SFO-YYZ-CPH-ARN).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So there's some issue with the Avianca schedule. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the agent and the UA/ANA/AP tools are all wrong. She was getting extremely limited availability for BOG-MDE-BOG (which it's already limited) and I would've booked but I missed the minimum connection time by :01, which would've forced me to overnight in BOG instead and leave about 12 hours earlier. Not a great experience booking one of those outside the tool so far.

For you EF guys...anyone know if it's more accurate than the other tools? I'd love to be able to see what's ACTUALLY available not just what the tools claim because none of them were right in this case. It sounds like there was some error on the Avianca end for their star releasing of availability or something, but it's a bit of a calamity.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by drvannostren
For you EF guys...anyone know if it's more accurate than the other tools? I'd love to be able to see what's ACTUALLY available not just what the tools claim because none of them were right in this case. It sounds like there was some error on the Avianca end for their star releasing of availability or something, but it's a bit of a calamity.
ANA is generally the ultimate tool for availability, and most reliable, but nothing is more reliable than actually searching for I/X class with the likes of EF.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
ANA is generally the ultimate tool for availability, and most reliable, but nothing is more reliable than actually searching for I/X class with the likes of EF.
Have you tried searching for I/X on EF for AC lately?

Air Canada I and X award classes are temporarily unavailable and will not return any results. They will return in a couple weeks. The upgrade classes are unaffected. Thank you for your patience.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you tried searching for I/X on EF for AC lately?
No, dont have EF :P
I think the dr. was having issues with AV space, no?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

No, dont have EF :P
I think the dr. was having issues with AV space, no?
That seems somewhat irrelevant to a thread on YQ waivers that only applies on AC metal
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Looking at booking LGA-YYZ on AC metal for this summer.

On UA, the taxes are US$5.60 (which equals C$7). When I click on view details, I get this.

September 11th Security Fee $5.60
Same flight on AE, the taxes are C$42.80. When I click on view details, I get this.

Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services --- $7.50
U.S. International Transportation Tax --- $22.50
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee --- $7.10
U.S Passenger Facility Charge --- $5.70

Total per passenger --- $42.80

Can someone clarify for me why AE is collecting all these additional taxes and where they are going?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl

On UA, the taxes are US$5.60 (which equals C$7). When I click on view details, I get this.

September 11th Security Fee $5.60
Same flight on AE, the taxes are C$42.80. When I click on view details, I get this.

Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services --- $7.50
U.S. International Transportation Tax --- $22.50
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee --- $7.10
U.S Passenger Facility Charge --- $5.70

Total per passenger --- $42.80
Can someone clarify for me why AE is collecting all these additional taxes and where they are going?
The Nav Canada fee is paid to Nav Canada by the airline for each aircraft and flight (or something like that). It's not unreasonable to collect that in this situation, even if UA chooses not to.

I think the US International Transportation Tax is the one we think is because Aeroplan is buying the tickets from Air Canada, so they're not "free" tickets?

Passenger Safety Fee is what UA collects.

I'm not familiar with the Facility Charge.

Edit: Scammy scam scam. Brb while I call Aeroplan.

Originally Posted by http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/PFC_55001.pdf
FREQUENT FLYER AWARDS. Section 204 of the Federal Aviation
Administration Authorization Act of 1994, Public Law No. 103-305, enacted on
August 23, 1994, [codified at 49 U.S.C. 40117(e)(2)(C)], precludes collection of a PFC
from a passenger enplaning at an airport if the passenger did not pay for the air
transportation which resulted in such enplanement, including any case in which the
passenger obtained the ticket for the air transportation with a frequent flyer award
coupon without monetary payment.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl

So 7500 AP + $42.80, or 4500 avios + $7.12. Or even 2500 avios + $47.12.

Pretty difficult decision
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Nav Canada fee is paid to Nav Canada by the airline for each aircraft and flight (or something like that). It's not unreasonable to collect that in this situation, even if UA chooses not to.

I think the US International Transportation Tax is the one we think is because Aeroplan is buying the tickets from Air Canada, so they're not "free" tickets?

Passenger Safety Fee is what UA collects.

I'm not familiar with the Facility Charge.
a) its not just United - noone else charges this
b) US Transport Tax - the excuse of Aeroplan being a separate entity doesnt fly, sorry, Avios doesnt charge it and they operate on the same premise as AC/AE
c)MG was talking about the $7.50 facility charge, not the security fee - again not collected by UA/Avios/AA/DL, etc.

The previous excuse was that because there was YQ - it wasnt treated as a $0 ticket (and this was kinda supported by others charging USTrTax on tickets with YQ) - now that this has been debunked, once again, the question is valid - where are these taxes going, since clearly the US govt is not asking for them. Nice racket AC has going here.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

a) its not just United - noone else charges this
b) US Transport Tax - the excuse of Aeroplan being a separate entity doesnt fly, sorry, Avios doesnt charge it and they operate on the same premise as AC/AE
c)MG was talking about the $7.50 facility charge, not the security fee - again not collected by UA/Avios/AA/DL, etc.

The previous excuse was that because there was YQ - it wasnt treated as a $0 ticket (and this was kinda supported by others charging USTrTax on tickets with YQ) - now that this has been debunked, once again, the question is valid - where are these taxes going, since clearly the US govt is not asking for them. Nice racket AC has going here.
For the Nav Canada charge though, I've read the documentation on the charge, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be charged.

And looking up the Facility Charge, just refer to my edited post. It VERY explicitly says it should not be collected on frequent flyer award tickets. I just got off the phone with an Aeroplan supervisor, and it's going to be escalated to the "executive leads" desk, who will get back to me within 5 days.

Show me documentation for why the others shouldn't be charged (and that means more than "United doesn't charge it"), and I'll call right back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.