Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Access to the Montreal (YUL) International Maple Leaf Lounge™ (MLL)

Latest news, as per The Altitude Report, "October Edition", sent on November 1, 2017:

Our Montreal International Maple Leaf Lounge™ next to Gate 52 offers a peaceful, sophisticated place to relax before taking flight. As a friendly reminder, eligible customers who are departing on an international flight may access the lounge, regardless of the departure gate. Those departing on a domestic flight may only access the international lounge if their departure gate is between 50 and 68. They can also access the domestic Maple Leaf Lounge next to Gates 1 and 3.

An aside from yyznomad: (November 1, 2017)

From my own insider information, there was a recent meeting to discuss access to the YUL International MLL. It was to discuss access eligibility for domestic flights, due to overcrowding. I found this out due to an experience where I was flying out of Gate 50 on a domestic flight and was denied by both a lounge agent and a concierge seated next to him. After patiently waiting for them to reconfirm the rules, only upon my insistence, did they let me in. The agent vehemently advised that it was Gate 52 and higher and told me to talk to the concierge next to him. The concierge then asked the same agent what the rule was, and sided with the agent without verifying. Two days later, another agent apologized on their behalf for getting it wrong as it was still Gate 50 to 68. In any case, the rule still stands for gates 50-68.

Also, if you got in, but as an exception to the rules, then consider yourself simply as lucky.

So don't be afraid to stand your ground, with or without printed proof. So as long as you are eligible, stand your ground! You are most likely to get an agent who won't know the rules and wrongly turn you away.
Print Wikipost

YUL International MLL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yultraveler
The rules for the International vs Domestic lounge are at the very bottom of this page:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...locations.html

Now, is the USA an international destination?
see but the problem with that is that the LHR lounge also says "not a maple leaf lounge" but I still got access to it through my CC despite it saying it's only accessible to:

"an Air Canada International Business Class customer
No guests permitted.

an eligible Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K member
Complimentary access for one (1) guest."

so... clearly the rules are wishy-washy. Maybe my CC will get me into the YUL INTL lounge too? Who knows.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Which LHR lounge? The rules you quoted are for the LHR Arrival lounge.

The LHR lounge in the departure area is a regular MLL and follows the typical access rules.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

The rules for the International vs Domestic lounge are at the very bottom of this page:

Now, is the USA an international destination?
Yes. But its difficult to access that lounge from the pre-cleared transboder area, isn't it?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Why do you want to have a stick up your butt for something so inconsequential?

I'll use any MLL I damn well want as a J or SE.
(bolding mine)

Answer: A attitude like the bolded statement. Its unbecoming and elitist.

There is a sign at the door saying its only for passengers flying on international destinations. There is no footnote saying its OK for SEs or Domestic J passengers.

(And people wonder why a good number of GAs, lounge agents and FAs have a crappy attitude when they are dealing with SEs...)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by PLeblond
(bolding mine)

Answer: A attitude like the bolded statement. Its unbecoming and elitist.

There is a sign at the door saying its only for passengers flying on international destinations. There is no footnote saying its OK for SEs or Domestic J passengers.

(And people wonder why a good number of GAs, lounge agents and FAs have a crappy attitude when they are dealing with SEs...)
Except that answer was just for you, who deserves it. If it's the closest to my gate, I will use it. End of story.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
Yes. But its difficult to access that lounge from the pre-cleared transboder area, isn't it?
Not necessarily, on a domestic to US connection, one would have to walk very close to that lounge to reach the TB area.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:57 am

Except that answer was just for you, who deserves it. If it's the closest to my gate, I will use it. End of story.
And what, prey tell, gives you the right to use it, above the expressly written rules at the door?

And where do you draw the line on what rules you will and will not follow?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Not necessarily, on a domestic to US connection, one would have to walk very close to that lounge to reach the TB area.
Domestic to US, you can definitely stop at the MLL international. I would not recommend it since you don't really how much time you will need to cross US custom and the US lounge is generally quieter...
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
As a lowly E50, I don't have the same special powers you seem to have; they didn't let me into the Intl MLL the one time I asked on a domestic itinerary because, well, them's the rules.

So when my departure gate is near that part of the airport, I use the gawd awful MasterCard lounge in the area. I just want some place quiet to relax for a few minutes before my flight and have no interest in DYKWIAing my way into a lounge I explicitly am not entitled access to.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Canibus
Anyone knows if they are still using the temporary lounge or are the reno's done?
Anybody know the answer to this question? :-)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: *$ Green
I was also denied entry to the Int'l YUL MLL on a YUL-YYZ-HND J itinerary and boarding at gate 50-ish, because rules.

I have a YUL-CDG flight in a couple of days. I hope the lounge won't be cheapened by some SE100Ks!
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
I understand the separation between intl and domestic lounges. It's assuming intl brings in a higher margin.

but, even tho i'm SE, i don't support the idea of a separate SE lounge. i don't like the elitist mindset.. sort of like UA's global services
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Maybe I should stand at the desk next time I'm there and 'help' them turn them away. If they have trouble saying no to an SE, I sure as heck can help them.

Rules are rules...right?
Funny, I was going to quote http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo.
It certainly displays the *G logo.

And what, prey tell, gives you the right to use it, above the expressly written rules at the door?
The above quote and the fact that every time I've handed over my boarding pass, they have either let me in, or said "Oh you're Super Elite, come on in."

Do you think I'm connecting from gate 2 to gate 3 and walking over to the international lounge? I clear security, my gate is to the left, and both lounges are roughly equal distance left and right. I go to the closest lounge.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd

And where do you draw the line on what rules you will and will not follow?
Reason, which you seem to lack. Please, carry on.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I've never been allowed in on a domestic itinerary, even when landing from int'l (3 attempts).

I respect the sign they have in place, but I have tried regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.