Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
For starters, at best the space where recline is shared, no one passenger owns the space. Out of the 4.5 inches of recline, I don't have any problem with the pax wanting first 2 inches, it's the last 2.5 inches causing the problem.the biggest problem is on daytime transcontinental flights where the pax in front wants to fully recline for no apparent reason other than to grab the maximum amount of space available and no consideration for other pax around.
I beg to differ. You purchased a seat where the seat in front of you reclines fully. If that bothers you sit in the first row. Telling me I can't recline my seat fully is the equivalent of you sitting beside me and being a POSize. YOU are violating the space that I paid for. Pay for the amount I can't recline or accept that I will recline.
Your middle of the day may be someone else's middle of the night.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Who knew EnRoute magazine could be such a contentious issue!?

This popcorn is delicious btw
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
What a load of crap.
You paid for transportation from point A to pint B.
I'll remember that next time I'm in your J seat. You can take mine in Y.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Altitude, Millennium Loyalty Club, President's Club
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't have an issue with pax reclining. I'm either in preferred seats or J. What I do have an issue with is the jerks who just go WHAM-O and recline. At least recline slowly, or bit by bit (I do this). If I put a mag there and it prevents them from wrecking my laptop, and they care enough/notice, sure i'm happy to remove it as it's the right thing to do. Honestly if they aren't respectful/courteous enough to either inform the pax behind them or employ basic common sense tactics (see above), then that goes both ways.

At 6 feet, I love my recline just like the next guy, but I try to treat others nicely, especially with the ever increasing density of planes.
Agreed. I remember turning around to advise the fellow in back of me that I was going to recline, and that he should let me know (wake me up if necessary) if it became an issue for him. I generally bend over backwards to avoid putting myself in a position where I could be in the middle of a disagreement.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by HampsteadHeath
Agreed. I remember turning around to advise the fellow in back of me that I was going to recline, and that he should let me know (wake me up if necessary) if it became an issue for him. I generally bend over backwards to avoid putting myself in a position where I could be in the middle of a disagreement.

And the reverse. I always politely ask the person in front of me to let me know before they recline and in every case, they have done so. No battles, no drama, although there are others out there who would not do so. Whatever. (Now if I could only find a hack/mod that would improve those CATSA people....)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Gotta say, if someone ever impeded the recline of my seat it would certainly be remedied by an FA or SD. No way in h*ll someone is impacting my seat.

Those of you who think it is okay to impact the recline of a seat in front you are bad humans.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dorian
Gotta say, if someone ever impeded the recline of my seat it would certainly be remedied by an FA or SD. No way in h*ll someone is impacting my seat.

Those of you who think it is okay to impact the recline of a seat in front you are bad humans.
I think the people who are rouging/HDifying the planes are the ones who are bad humans, LOL At least (maybe i'm wrong) you're not subjected to Y like the rest of us pions are
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I think the people who are rouging/HDifying the planes are the ones who are bad humans, LOL At least (maybe i'm wrong) you're not subjected to Y like the rest of us pions are
Them too, sure. I was in Y once in 2014, so I am subjected to it too.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
At least (maybe i'm wrong) you're not subjected to Y like the rest of us pions are
Although pions would fit comfortably into even a rouge Y seat, their mean lifetime is so short that they'd never last until the first appearance of the drinks trolley, let alone achieve any kind of Elite status.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by antirealist
Although pions would fit comfortably into even a rouge Y seat, their mean lifetime is so short that they'd never last until the first appearance of the drinks trolley, let alone achieve any kind of Elite status.
Rouge is a whole different beast. My wife and I were thinking about going to Orlando and she's like...yeah just book Y it's not that long a flight in Rouge, I quickly told her to shut up. (since she's never flown Rouge before)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I've never understood this new found desire to turn perfectly good movies into books. I figure this whole "reading" thing is a fad.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I've never understood this new found desire to turn perfectly good movies into books. I figure this whole "reading" thing is a fad.
It's retro. Damn hipsters.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by MQS007
At 6 ft 4 if I am unable to get a preferred seat the person in front of me is not reclining because my thigh bones are taking up all of the space. This is particularly true in the HD layout as there simply is not sufficient room for me to get by feet under the seat in front and stretch out.
Same here. When I've been unable to sit in a preferred seat, my knees are buried in the seat in front of me even without it being reclined. My "blocking mechanism" isn't going away.

This is AC mainline shorthaul so I know I'll never fly a Rogue flight or HD Y.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Seven pages of responses and I still don't see my "hacks" so here goes.

First off, I'm not as privileged as most of the other posters so my hacks don't have anything to do with J class seats or pods ... maybe some day.

1. If you are anything like me, I like sitting in an aisle seat, especially for places I have seen a million times from the air. So in the aisle seat, most people don't know that the armrest can go up. Just reach to where the armrest is connected to the seat and search for a locking lever. Push it and move the armrest up. Instant space to easily get in and out of your seat, especially for bathroom breaks and deplaning.

2. For situations where you are flying in a 2x3x2 or 3x3 configuration and you are two people, book a row with 3 seats and take the window and aisle or aisle and aisle (depending on the configuration). This will highly increase your chances that nobody books the middle seat and you have the whole row to enjoy between yourself and your partner.

3. Chat up the FAs if you are going to a city you haven't been before. Guaranteed they have some great places to check out that you hadn't though of.

4. When the drink cart comes around (remember, I fly economy), I always get a can of soda and a can of cranberry and a glass of ice. I then mix my own cran and soda and stay hydrated during the flight and with tip 1 from above, going to the washroom isn't a big deal.

Hope these help some of you.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Preparation is the key:

1. Go to eBay, Amazon, etc, and purchase one of these:

(i.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-AIRCRAFT-O...item259cbd95f4)

2. Wander the Y cabin looking for someone asleep and with an empty adjacent seat.

3. Settle in and wait a couple of minutes.

4. Put mask on.

5. Shake the sleeper and quietly 'shout' "Wake up! Wake up!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.