Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!

Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!

What things do you do, along the idea of 'hacks & modifications' that make your travel onboard AC (or other airline) easier, better, more bearable, etc?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Seen every AC movie and want to watch my iPad Mini that has the Smart Cover. I hang it perfectly from the pod screen.

Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Button hole gone out of your J class fabric napkin and have your toiletry case nearby?

Fold over the corner and snip the fold about 4mm...unfold, voila, new button hole!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Not going to listen to music or watch a movie right away, hang your over hear noise cancelling headphones from your pod coat hook WITH THE EARPADS FACING OUT.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Sure, I guess i'll take a stab.

1) Drink excessively in the lounge. Drink excessively on board. 200mg of 5HTP and 3-6mg of Melatonin. Pass out. Teleport

2) On long haul or ultra long haul flights, add #1 with 2 standard issue 3M earplugs and then sleep with the QC15's on. Earplugs minus the acoustic pressure pain if #1 hasn't taken care of that

3) Always compliment flight crew/SD when they deserve it. Always follow through with an email to Ben S/ Stephen K/Calin R (if justified). Ask for their business card so they can be BCC'd and/or provide them with mine and ask them to email me (I'd say follow through is about 30%). This also helps aid #1

4) Try Cow's trick of bringing a can of coke on board filled with booze (next year)

5) Pair of slippers (brand new, taken from a hotel) to wear in J (For work, I do domestic J so that's usually not provided even on premium N. America long hauls)

6) Be polite to everyone. That is, with exception of elbow hogging pax, which is fixed by sneezing into one's arm repeatedly and then putting it on the armrest (ok, this is a joke, but it was a "tactic" that I "learned" about on a FT forum years ago)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Dorian
Button hole gone out of your J class fabric napkin and have your toiletry case nearby?

Fold over the corner and snip the fold about 4mm...unfold, voila, new button hole!
Hmm, curious where you get the tool for snipping?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Hmm, curious where you get the tool for snipping?
Load a small pocket on carry on with coins, domestic or foreign. The back blob on the X-ray image will cause the screeners to freak out. Once they discover the coins (you can point them out) they will be so relieved they will ignore everything else.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Load a small pocket on carry on with coins, domestic or foreign. The back blob on the X-ray image will cause the screeners to freak out. Once they discover the coins (you can point them out) they will be so relieved they will ignore everything else.
Hahaha, not sure how that improves the travel experience though as per the OP....other than maybe a laugh instead of more time at the lounge. Curious though, what does this resemble as a threat (aka why do they get alerted, pardon my naivety)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Member

Know that Canada is included in the US book of driver's licences (not the international edition). Some TSA bozos don't know that Canada is a country, or that it is in North America.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Originally Posted by KenHamer

Hahaha, not sure how that improves the travel experience though as per the OP....other than maybe a laugh instead of more time at the lounge. Curious though, what does this resemble as a threat (aka why do they get alerted, pardon my naivety)
The coins look like an opaque black blob which makes them nervous.

This allows you get your "toiletry kit" and other items on board the flight which in turn can improve the travel experience.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I never really thought about this before... but I do have some "habits" in AC J... will contribute as they come to mind...

Off the top of my head (kinda boring), when I open the plastic bag wrapper for the blanket, I open it carefully so that I can reuse it throughout the flight as my personal rubbish bin and then it becomes easy for pre-landing pickup/cleanup... to dump my used socks, newspaper, earplugs, paper napkins, etc.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
If you've an empty seat next to you (non-pod of course) turn the map on on the TV screen there so you can easily refer to it (as can others behind you).
After wiping hands and face, use the warm towel to wipe the tabletops and other surfaces (I strongly emphasise after!)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I spend a few minutes pre-programming my IFE playlist upon getting to my seat so that I can use my Bose QC20's plugged into the IFE to listen to it during taxi and takeoff... and landing. No mundane engine drone or wailing babies to contend with.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
If you've an empty seat next to you (non-pod of course) turn the map on on the TV screen there so you can easily refer to it (as can others behind you).
After wiping hands and face, use the warm towel to wipe the tabletops and other surfaces (I strongly emphasise after!)
For the life of me I don't get the AC towels...and never use them on my hands/face. They are just wet towels.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the life of me I don't get the AC towels...and never use them on my hands/face. They are just wet towels.
As opposed to wet towels on TK, LO, etc.?

I look forward to the wet towels when I'm tired... gives me a momentary kick... like splashing one's face with water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.