Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Simon
Thank God the smoked salmon is gone. This is the most over-served "premium" appetizer I've ever seen. Almost every international flight on every airline I've flown for the last 10 years has had some version of this.

Good riddance!
While Smoked Salmon/Gravlax is probably one of the most common appetizers on various airlines, other AC rotations have recently included:
>Smoked Trout
>Shrimp/Scallop/Lobster
>Foie Gras (occasionally ex CDG)
>Prosciutto w/Melon
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
While Smoked Salmon/Gravlax is probably one of the most common appetizers on various airlines, other AC rotations have recently included:
>Smoked Trout
>Shrimp/Scallop/Lobster
>Foie Gras (occasionally ex CDG)
>Prosciutto w/Melon
Do you know if the Trout is wild or farmed?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
My #1 Pet Peeve (excuse the irony of that term) is the inconsistency of the meal offerings.

If the food was consistent I could find something I like and stick with it. But when I get a dish and I love it and the next time (sometimes the next day) get the same dish and it's horrible, that's what bothers me.
Obviously galley FA's are not Michelin Chefs and the ovens may not have the controls that allow for food to be finished evenly cooked. I was told that by an AC type once but am unsure if that is true.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
>Prosciutto w/Melon
Mmmm that was good.

I wish we'd get better appetizers/desserts on PLH routes though. But I suppose that's a topic for another thread.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
AC 6 HND-YYZ - What can I expect for food in J?

Has anyone flown AC 6 (HND-YYZ) in J recently?

What can I expect to be served? Was the catering out of HND any good?

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Catering is quite good. Personally i always order the Japanese meal, which provides a nice assortment of appetizers - think Japanese tapas plus a main course (I've always ended up with fish but I understand they sometimes serve meat).

Dinner is served shortly after takeoff - in addition to the Japanese meal you get I believe three other "western" choices - typically beef, fish and pasta.

Mid-flight you can order or help yourself to a variety of snacks

A couple of hours before landing (in mid afternoon) you are offered "breakfast" - omelette, fried noodles or congee I believe.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:29 am

Believe beef is sukiyaki
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
On my flight (YYZ-TLV) they ran out of the best of the red wines (French - I don't recall the exact wine) after my first glass. The flight attendant apologized, saying they had only catered two bottles for the flight.
On a recent YYZ-CDG flight, AC decided to load far fewer omelets than there were business class passengers. I didn't have dinner, so I was hungry and looking forward (in a general sense) to the omelet. But I was one of the SEs on a paid business class ticket who didn't get an omelet.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ylwae
On a recent YYZ-CDG flight, AC decided to load far fewer omelets than there were business class passengers. I didn't have dinner, so I was hungry and looking forward (in a general sense) to the omelet. But I was one of the SEs on a paid business class ticket who didn't get an omelet.
That's where I'd send them a bill for the breakfast I had to purchase on arrival, the transportation costs to get to the restaurant, and for my time.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's where I'd send them a bill for the breakfast I had to purchase on arrival, the transportation costs to get to the restaurant, and for my time.
Something I didn't think of. On board, there were lots of apologies from the FAs (not their fault), and one even offered to give up his own meal. When I emailed in a complaint, I told them not to give me miles and refused the 15% discount on the next flight.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Did they have you fill out a breakfast card? Or have they abandoned this?

I didn't receive a breakfast card on my recent YYZ-TLV flight.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Did they have you fill out a breakfast card? Or have they abandoned this?

I didn't receive a breakfast card on my recent YYZ-TLV flight.
Yes, I filled the card out as soon as they came around with it. I don't think they've abandoned it--same process on a recent YYC-FRA flight.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
YYZ -HND

Lunch: Japanese meal has different appetizers compared to the regular meals. The Japanese appetizers are actually quite good, beats UA's Japanese F meal flying out of Japan. Japanese main was black cod, with various sides, soba, miso soup. Western options were fish, beef tenderloin, chicken.

mid-flight: Wonton noodle wtih Chinese brocolli , chicken skewers, dim sum plate, tomato and bocconcini cheese

Brunch (~90 minutes prior to arrival): muffins, juice, yogurt. Main course: omelette or Japanese congee or stir-fried ramen

Overall pretty good J meal.

Last edited by beep88; Mar 6, 2016 at 7:15 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Yes, I filled the card out as soon as they came around with it. I don't think they've abandoned it--same process on a recent YYC-FRA flight.
Good to know. Maybe they never have it on the YYZ-TLV route?

If you filled out the card, as an SE I would have thought you would get your first choice. They should follow the same priority as the initial meal service. As they have all the cards for several hours, they can sort them and see that they are short of omelettes (in this case), and make decisions on who gets what they want. May have been a crew dealing with other issues...
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
At least for February 2016 ex-CDG, the foie gras was back.
Now that it's March, no idea if it's been yanked again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.