Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
At least for February 2016 ex-CDG, the foie gras was back.
Now that it's March, no idea if it's been yanked again.
Welcome back Nomad. I'm surprised there's no crazy animal person on here going foie gras, the horror
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Foie Gras???? , not on my plate. I will play it forward
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
As they have all the cards for several hours, they can sort them and see that they are short of omelettes (in this case), and make decisions on who gets what they want. May have been a crew dealing with other issues...
May well have been. I didn't press the cabin crew for an explanation on omelet allocation, but I did say in my complaint (which will be ignored) that people who pay for a business class ticket should be given some consideration, especially if they also have status.

I blame AC's obsessive cost-cutting--"cheapen the experience, save the bottom line!"
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Absolutely positively not. It is about providing a consistent and fast option right across the board. Due to certain aircraft limitations (2-767's, 787's & 777HD's) there is not always vacant oven space to ensure fast and smooth delivery of an Express meal consistently. I'm certain many FT'ers have seen variances in delivery times because of this issue. Another point touched upon was that increased numbers of Express meals delayed the commencement of service to other Customers. Every aircraft type has a preset number of Express trays, and accommodating requests in excess of the set trays required additional assembly, further staggering general cabin service.
Is this about time used up heating up food hence potentially degrading the service for everyone else?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Did they have you fill out a breakfast card? Or have they abandoned this?

I didn't receive a breakfast card on my recent YYZ-TLV flight.
A la carte Breakfast (aka - the card) is not offered on YYZ-TLV (and IST) flights which provisions full breakfast due to flight duration. A la carte is offered only on Canada to Europe flights where a full dinner service is the main meal.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Absolutely positively not. It is about providing a consistent and fast option right across the board. Due to certain aircraft limitations (2-767's, 787's & 777HD's) there is not always vacant oven space to ensure fast and smooth delivery of an Express meal consistently. I'm certain many FT'ers have seen variances in delivery times because of this issue. Another point touched upon was that increased numbers of Express meals delayed the commencement of service to other Customers. Every aircraft type has a preset number of Express trays, and accommodating requests in excess of the set trays required additional assembly, further staggering general cabin service.
While disappointing, the reasoning for eliminating the "proper" Express option makes some sense.

Maybe AC could make this a SE benefit?

Just out of curiousity: How long does it take to heat up a meal in the ovens?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
While disappointing, the reasoning for eliminating the "proper" Express option makes some sense.

Maybe AC could make this a SE benefit?

Just out of curiousity: How long does it take to heat up a meal in the ovens?

There are currently 3 types of ovens in the fleet and the variances as well as capacity creates some consistency issues.

KSSU Galley (Ex-CP 767s) Up to 40 Minutes give or take
Atlas Galley w/Sell Ovens (2-AC 767s/A330s/Non Refurb'd 777's) 30 Minutes
Atlas Galley w/BE Aerospace Steam ovens (787's/Refurb'd 777's) 20 Minutes

The above are rough estimates which may vary according to boarded food temperature.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are currently 3 types of ovens in the fleet and the variances as well as capacity creates some consistency issues.

KSSU Galley (Ex-CP 767s) Up to 40 Minutes give or take
Atlas Galley w/Sell Ovens (2-AC 767s/A330s/Non Refurb'd 777's) 30 Minutes
Atlas Galley w/BE Aerospace Steam ovens (787's/Refurb'd 777's) 20 Minutes

The above are rough estimates which may vary according to boarded food temperature.
Thanks for the response! That's actually longer than I expected.

Would it be permitted / feasible to put the express meals into the ovens just before taking off?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter

Would it be permitted / feasible to put the express meals into the ovens just before taking off?
Don't they do this? A few years back on a rapidair I distinctly remember the smell of the omelettes cooking on pushback and onto takeoff/departure. (I know this is International V domestic, but same idea)
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:49 am

This is the problem. With changing aircraft configurations, there isn't consistent excess oven capacity that perhaps there once was. Main Courses are loaded in the ovens at departing International Stations by Caterers, and cooking hot express entrees would involve (in the absence of a spare oven) unloading and reloading ovens to avoid overcooking the hot meals destined for the regular full service. Just my observation, but I think it came down to consistency and logistics.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the problem. With changing aircraft configurations, there isn't consistent excess oven capacity that perhaps there once was. Main Courses are loaded in the ovens at departing International Stations by Caterers, and cooking hot express entrees would involve (in the absence of a spare oven) unloading and reloading ovens to avoid overcooking the hot meals destined for the regular full service. Just my observation, but I think it came down to consistency and logistics.
Fair enough. I'd assumed taking meal orders on the ground and just putting the express meals into the oven before departure and only loading the "regular" meals once those are taken out would be possible. (But it sounds like this is not the case.)

I used to order the express meal on a regular basis and it always worked well when the SD took meal orders before departure. But when the crew only started taking meal orders >30min after departure, that usually was a sign the entire service would take forever.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Do you have any idea why an airline like BR can consistently deliver this on a 773? 1:40 takeoff, 2:00am or so once airborne, and I'm literally done my meal by 2:30am.

And it's consistent. Why can't AC do this? (if you don't mind me asking).

*Yes, I realize you're not privy to the internal operations of BR, but I'm just curious as to where your thoughts are on this given your extensive experience as a service director. Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:59 am

Fair enough. I'd assumed taking meal orders on the ground and just putting the express meals into the oven before departure and only loading the "regular" meals once those are taken out would be possible. (But it sounds like this is not the case.)

I used to order the express meal on a regular basis and it always worked well when the SD took meal orders before departure. But when the crew only started taking meal orders >30min after departure, that usually was a sign the entire service would take forever.
There are still aircraft where technically it can be done, but with the addition of PY, the logistics associated with adding a "third class" of service changed the oven availability dynamics.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are still aircraft where technically it can be done, but with the addition of PY, the logistics associated with adding a "third class" of service changed the oven availability dynamics.
Wouldn't the reduction of staffing have played a role too?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Wouldn't the reduction of staffing have played a role too?
Reduction of staffing on widebodies on ML AC? Did I miss the memo? Isn't it still 1:40?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.