Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 2:28 pm

Welcome Ben. As yo have already noticed with your lurking that we are a fairly reasonable bunch here (of course there are exceptions ) . We do appreciate a response from AC and that is why Air Canada Altitude's post and disappear strategy has been so frustrating. Granted a lot of us realize the answers may not be to our liking but at least provide us with a response. I am glad to see you are doing this.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by doubleflier
"As well if you are able to shed any light on the rationale of the LAX and SFO getting rouged for trips to YVR (yet not YYZ-FLL) that would be appreciated. Many on here (including myself) thought there was enough J/premium travel to justify mainline service."

Probably because Air Canada doesn't place much value on Vancouver as compared to Toronto/Montreal.

Look at the hub strategy of Toronto, and what Air Canada has done to Vancouver over the years:

- Beijing and Shanghai frequencies dropped (and finally increased about a year ago back to daily), while star alliance partners moved in to fill the void and add additional frequencies.
- ANA doing Haneda from Vancouver
- Launch of the 777HD on long haul routes from Vancouver - Hong Kong and London
- No more Osaka or Nagoya from Vancouver
- Continuous fluctuation of transborder service out of Vancouver - no more Miami, Boston, Chicago (years ago), San Diego status always changing, and now California all Rouge.
- How much capacity does United have out of Vancouver to Denver, Chicago, California, etc. compared to Air Canada? And, did TED ever fly to Vancouver?

Specifically with the transborder routes, some routes certainly could make sense for Rouge, but I guess that Air Canada is content to send a good portion of their business travel over to United and other carriers.
I was more interested in Ben's point of view. Let's not derail this thread. Thanks.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
It's a good question, but to be honest, I'm not an "official" online engagement anything. I'm simply here as a representative of the company to try and have a conversation with our most engaged flyers
That by definition, makes you official in the eyes of FTers. Don't shy away from the title. Embrace it. Nobody is looking to practise 'gotcha' journalism if you come across as authentic. You will get a lot more respect if you can provide straight talk on here (as you probably already know) than ACAltitude's intelligence insulting posts.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:21 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
+1

I'm certain the group here could give you a top 10 list of questions. If you'd be able to answer them, or just acknowledge them and note that at this time AC is not comfortable (or whatever PR approved wording you'd like) answering them that would be nice. Even just knowing that someone is taking the questions to a person who could give/approve an answer would go a long, long way in the forum.

Things that come to mind:
1) How do upgrades work? I'm not a huge UA fan, but they detail how upgrades work in the minutia. Many would be willing to buy up to have a better chance at an upgrade, but we can't do that if we can't assess the chances.

Even if you can't provide a complete 5 page narrative, could we at least know where PE fares rank relative to economy fares?
2) What's the plan with the narrow-body E+ seats for the non-SE among us? When can we expect to hear?
3) What's the plan for the 777 refurb? Can we expect to see PE installed more widely or new Y seats? What's the timeline? When is an announcement expected?
I hear you, and that's one of the reasons I'm here. I want to make sure that you guys know we do indeed hear what you are saying, but that doesn't mean we are always at liberty to give answers. I'm happy to help shed some light where I can, and if I can't I still want you to know that you've been heard.

Regarding your questions,
1) Upgrades. I know this is a contentious issue. It's been something asked on here ever since I first started lurking, and it's something I quickly made sure to understand when I first started here. That said, at present it's also something we aren't able to share. I know this may not sit well with many on here who may think we are being secretive, but I assure you we are not doing this to be enigmatic. Most of you understand the basic components: status, fare class, time of check in. The issue lies in that if we publish exactly how upgrades are processed we may end up limiting ourselves.

This could take many avenues: for example, in the future, if we want to change how the system works (not that we are planning anything; this is purely hypothetical), this would only foster ill will as customers who may have expected an upgrade are no longer at the top of the list. Or, it could lead to some frustration at the gate if a passenger believes he/she should get the last remaining seat but is instead trumped by someone else - a full J pax who missed an earlier flight, for example. There are several possibilities, but the point is that it just stands to cause irritation and aggravation to both our customers and our employees.

Also, and unfortunately, due to stronger privacy laws in Canada we are also not able to use the same system the American carriers do when they publish the names of on the upgrade list.

This may not have been the answer you were seeking, but I hope you can respect it nonetheless.

2) I'm not sure, but I will find out.

3) Nothing has been announced because nothing has been decided. Obviously there are some things which are commercially sensitive which I cannot post on a public forum, but I assure you that as soon as I am made aware of any plan (that can be publicly shared) I will let you guys know.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Welcome, Ben, and congrats on achieving official status as a company rep!

Will you be at the Dreamliner event(s) next week? If so, I'm sure FTers will be on the look-out for you.
**Edit - was reading thread backwards... look forward to meeting you at future events).**

Last edited by yqtyyz; May 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 3:36 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Always appreciate a useful official presence on this forum. Your post above, even though you state you cannot answer, is miles above what we have been used to here. I applaud this initiative, and I am pretty tough on AC Hope this leads to mutually beneficial discussions.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; May 14, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
This could take many avenues: for example, in the future, if we want to change how the system works (not that we are planning anything; this is purely hypothetical), this would only foster ill will as customers who may have expected an upgrade are no longer at the top of the list. Or, it could lead to some frustration at the gate if a passenger believes he/she should get the last remaining seat but is instead trumped by someone else - a full J pax who missed an earlier flight, for example. There are several possibilities, but the point is that it just stands to cause irritation and aggravation to both our customers and our employees.
Thanks for at least providing some feedback - it is far more than we normally get from AC and is appreciated. However, I'm not sure the answer you give holds up.

First, being transparent wouldn't stop you changing things in the future if you wish. FFers currently know the rules for Lat fares, vs Flex in regard to changes, cancellations etc. This doesn't stop AC changing those rules if you want. The same would go for upgrades.

More importantly you currently have a system for upgrades that definitely does generate ill will and anger from FFers on a daily basis now. How could openness, transparency and honesty make that worse?
Old May 14, 2014, 3:45 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YYCYYZ

The official channel is basically just posting press releases.
Well said.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
I'll be there on Tuesday so if any of you are there then look forward to seeing you then!
Happy to hear this. I look forward to saying hello!
Old May 14, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Welcome, Ben. Nice to see a name rather than just a title bearing the "official" green ink.
I appreciate the interactivity you have already shown. I hope if this isn't your entire job, that the onslaught of questions doesn't prevent you from getting anything else done!
Old May 14, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
I have found it frustrating at times that there wasn't someone from AC who would communicate back and forth with FT members consistently.

The official channel is basically just posting press releases.

Any additional communication is extremely welcome!
Agreed!. Andrew used to fill this roll ( nice to see you back today, by the
way), but it would be great to have official reps a la Starwood lurkers.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Welcome Ben!

Also, and unfortunately, due to stronger privacy laws in Canada we are also not able to use the same system the American carriers do when they publish the names of on the upgrade list.
Well, transparency generally is a good thing, I'd like to know if I'm #2 or #25 on the list.
If you can't list names, how about sequence #'s.

I'd like to know what Air Canada's "potentially ominous long term plans" are regarding Rogue. Most people here dislike Rogue quite a bit (I know I do). It would be one thing if Rogue was priced cheaper than AC but it isn't, and our friends on the west coast are really getting hosed on the California flights. Not cool.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
New AC Presence on FT

Ben, Welcome!

This is awesome!! Looking forward to the dialogue.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Andrew used to fill this roll.
Mmmm... filled roll...
Old May 14, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Welcome- looking forward to another method of AC engagement vs posting on twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.