FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Presence on FT
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2014, 3:21 pm
Ben Lipsey
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by rehoult
+1

I'm certain the group here could give you a top 10 list of questions. If you'd be able to answer them, or just acknowledge them and note that at this time AC is not comfortable (or whatever PR approved wording you'd like) answering them that would be nice. Even just knowing that someone is taking the questions to a person who could give/approve an answer would go a long, long way in the forum.

Things that come to mind:
1) How do upgrades work? I'm not a huge UA fan, but they detail how upgrades work in the minutia. Many would be willing to buy up to have a better chance at an upgrade, but we can't do that if we can't assess the chances.

Even if you can't provide a complete 5 page narrative, could we at least know where PE fares rank relative to economy fares?
2) What's the plan with the narrow-body E+ seats for the non-SE among us? When can we expect to hear?
3) What's the plan for the 777 refurb? Can we expect to see PE installed more widely or new Y seats? What's the timeline? When is an announcement expected?
I hear you, and that's one of the reasons I'm here. I want to make sure that you guys know we do indeed hear what you are saying, but that doesn't mean we are always at liberty to give answers. I'm happy to help shed some light where I can, and if I can't I still want you to know that you've been heard.

Regarding your questions,
1) Upgrades. I know this is a contentious issue. It's been something asked on here ever since I first started lurking, and it's something I quickly made sure to understand when I first started here. That said, at present it's also something we aren't able to share. I know this may not sit well with many on here who may think we are being secretive, but I assure you we are not doing this to be enigmatic. Most of you understand the basic components: status, fare class, time of check in. The issue lies in that if we publish exactly how upgrades are processed we may end up limiting ourselves.

This could take many avenues: for example, in the future, if we want to change how the system works (not that we are planning anything; this is purely hypothetical), this would only foster ill will as customers who may have expected an upgrade are no longer at the top of the list. Or, it could lead to some frustration at the gate if a passenger believes he/she should get the last remaining seat but is instead trumped by someone else - a full J pax who missed an earlier flight, for example. There are several possibilities, but the point is that it just stands to cause irritation and aggravation to both our customers and our employees.

Also, and unfortunately, due to stronger privacy laws in Canada we are also not able to use the same system the American carriers do when they publish the names of on the upgrade list.

This may not have been the answer you were seeking, but I hope you can respect it nonetheless.

2) I'm not sure, but I will find out.

3) Nothing has been announced because nothing has been decided. Obviously there are some things which are commercially sensitive which I cannot post on a public forum, but I assure you that as soon as I am made aware of any plan (that can be publicly shared) I will let you guys know.