Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Silvercity
I agree with you. A SEMM Member will have and should have much higher priority and yes have the meal choice served first!
I believe the privileges/benefits are part of the actual product, and if one buys a full J ticket - as opposed to discounted J - they are buying the product and entitled to all the privileges/benefits of said product. Period. Full stop. No exceptions. The key is full J.

Frequent flyers are rewarded in many ways, on a recurrent basis, whether one finds the benefits sufficient or not is their business.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Hi Ben,

Was the MM program primarily intended to encourage someone to fly millions of miles with AC, or was the intent to thank those that have by rewarding them with a token of appreciation?

It is not true to say that nobody likes the current structure (2MM), I appreciate the gift that you have allowed me to pass on to someone important to me. That doesn't mean I am opposed to options. Having said that; if I do my friend a favor and he thanks me with a gift certificate at Starbucks, I would never tell him I would prefer a gift from Tim's.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I know some people have said that we shouldn't debate other questions but....

Which airline does this?

I'm only farmilar with a few others, and on UA you CANNOT use GPUs on low fares period to many international destinations, and even if you could they only apply to 1K (SE) level.
Maybe I should have been clearer in my post, but I meant to compare AC against other NA carriers when I said "others".
Having said that, I was also referring to the top-tier upgrade instruments: UA's GPUs, DL's GUCs, and AA's systemwide upgrades.
I believe all of them clear immediately if there's positive upgrade inventory.
And yes, I know UA's GPUs only apply for W+ fares, that's why I said "flex equivalent on AC".
Old May 17, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airbus320
I am very impressed with you sharing the rationale for 777HD utilization on the YUL-CDG route. ^

This is the tone and type of dialogue that I find unique and extremely productive. Well done !
I wish to second that.

Many decisions that we like to criticize here (but may not really affect us FFs all that much) start making more sense when a reasonable explanation is provided.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by agjil
Maybe I should have been clearer in my post, but I meant to compare AC against other NA carriers when I said "others".
Having said that, I was also referring to the top-tier upgrade instruments: UA's GPUs, DL's GUCs, and AA's systemwide upgrades.
I believe all of them clear immediately if there's positive upgrade inventory.
And yes, I know UA's GPUs only apply for W+ fares, that's why I said "flex equivalent on AC".
But UA's GPUs aren't available to anyone other than their top tier members. Your original comment was about giving instant upgradability to mid-tier members with no co-pay.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Thanks for the lecture but as you will know earnings announcements often include general information that is not necessarily privileged or confidential - but for the sake of peace I will defer to your superior intellect. To this point: the posts in this very thread are full of speculation and promises of things to come that have not been officially announced. By the way I think either Ben1 or Ben2 can speak for themselves and don't need you to do it for them.

Anyway you failed to see my point or add my full quote that Ben2 said "No decision had been made" when clearly that was not true. It would probably have better to say nothing then. FT is full of speculation, inaccuracies and rumour I personally don't need to see more from an official company rep.

Listen, I'm impressed so far but having suffered a lot of bs from AC over the past several years it will take more that 3 days to convince me that this is a genuine attempt to do the right thing. I truly hope it continues and there is some continued honest dialogue - we will see.
I did not lecture you, I provided a bit of historical perspective. I did see your point, but almost any answer, including No Comment, could be construed as a form of disclosure. The use of the term "no decision has been made" that Ben2 was aware of is factual on his part, but even if it were a lie, it was one that could not have led someone to assume a particular outcome. In as much as the announcement about the refurbishment reflected a material increase in system capacity and an expenditure of $300 million, it can certainly be construed as material.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE
Rollout of additional preferred seating

Ben and Ben,

Thanks again for the continued dialog - this has been extremely helpful in addressing some of the concerns from your top tier members.

One of the areas I'd like to pass along feedback and ask about is the rollout of additional preferred seats. I'm happy to see additional preferred seats, as at 6'3", legroom is a major concern. I'm disappointed at how it's been rolled out, though.

In the past, as an E50 I could typically book the priority seats at the front of Y (typically rows 13-18 or so). With the rollout of preferred seats, the only rows towards the front that E50 passengers now have access to on a Flex fare without paying additional seating fees are the bulkhead. This has been a major downgrade for E50/E35/P25 passengers, and E75's on Tango fares as it removes a significant chunk of desirable Y seats that mid tier Elites could access previously.

As an example - I just booked 4 segments on aircraft with the new configuration for YYC-YYZ segments. In 3 out of the 4 segments, the bulkhead was taken, but rows 13~17 had plenty of space, but I can't access them without paying a extra fee on top of my already expensive Flex fare. As a result, I'm now at the back of the bus, even though there is plenty of space towards the front in the new preferred seating (formerly priority seating) rows. As well, these seats turn into a free-for-all when OLCI opens, so my only chances of getting a seat towards the front is to try to check in immediately at T-24, but I'm competing with non-status pax trying to get a seat assignment.

I know AC Altitude said on FT that expanded eligibility was coming, but this has been a major downgrade for several months. Any word on when the updated eligibility will be announced? As part of the rollout, why do you need to wait until the aircraft changes are complete to update your eligibility rules? If you are planning to open up more preferred seats to E50's and other elite members, why not update the rules now to reflect the intended end state or provide some clarity on what the rules will be? Right now this is disappointing that mid-tier Elites are getting stuck at the back of the bus because of the new rules.

Last edited by gcashin; May 17, 2014 at 9:47 am Reason: update for clarity
Old May 17, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
But UA's GPUs aren't available to anyone other than their top tier members. Your original comment was about giving instant upgradability to mid-tier members with no co-pay.
No...that wasn't my point.
Where did I say mid-tier members should not need to pay the co-pay?
I'm not arguing the co-pay here.
I'm just saying if you use upgrade instruments at other NA airlines on flex-equivalent fares, you can confirm your seat right away while you can't do the same on AC for flex fares.
And I asked Ben if this could be something that could possibly change.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gcashin
In the past, as an E50 I could typically book the priority seats at the front of Y (typically rows 13-18 or so). With the rollout of preferred seats, the only rows towards the front that E50 passengers now have access to on a Flex fare without paying additional seating fees are the bulkhead. This has been a major downgrade for E50/E35/P25 passengers, and E75's on Tango fares as it removes a significant chunk of desirable Y seats that mid tier Elites could access previously.

As an example - I just booked 4 segments on aircraft with the new configuration for YYC-YYZ segments. In 3 out of the 4 segments, the bulkhead was taken, but rows 13~17 had plenty of space, but I can't access them without paying a extra fee on top of my already expensive Flex fare. As a result, I'm now at the back of the bus, even though there is plenty of space towards the front in the new preferred seating (formerly priority seating) rows. As well, these seats turn into a free-for-all when OLCI opens, so my only chances of getting a seat towards the front is to try to check in immediately at T-24, but I'm competing with non-status pax trying to get a seat assignment.

I know AC Altitude said on FT that expanded eligibility was coming for E50's, but this has been a major downgrade for several months. Any word on when the updated eligibility will be announced? As part of the rollout, why do you need to wait until the aircraft changes are complete to update your eligibility rules? If you are planning to open up more preferred seats to E50's and other elite members, why not update the rules now to reflect the intended end state or provide some clarity on what the rules will be? Right now this is disappointing that mid-tier Elites are getting stuck at the back of the bus because of the new rules.
+1 for this comment. As I have posted before, toward the end of 2013, I was not insurmountably far from 75K but with the established rules and rewards, there was no advantage to go for it vs E50K benefits. No sooner than the new year started, but access to row 13-17 was yanked away from me. I was encouraged to read this was under review, but so far, no news and not sure why the delay. Even to access free row 13-17 seat selection at the same time as upgrade request booking window would improve on the OLCI free-for-all.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Sebring
I believe the privileges/benefits are part of the actual product, and if one buys a full J ticket - as opposed to discounted J - they are buying the product and entitled to all the privileges/benefits of said product. Period. Full stop. No exceptions. The key is full J.

Frequent flyers are rewarded in many ways, on a recurrent basis, whether one finds the benefits sufficient or not is their business.
Your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I spend per year far more than 1 person's J class ticket. I agree they should receive full privlage. Although a SEMM should always recieve there meal choice first.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE & 2MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Then change how it is awarded and expand the rewards. I have zero incentive to shoot for 2MM.
I am at 1.7MM, but with recent changes to E50k, see very little incentive to push it hard to get to 2MM. Will reduce my AC miles by about 50k this year, will still hit SE100k, but moving all rouged routes and HKG to other carriers. This is a significant amount of dollars going elsewhere.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yvrhab
I am at 1.7MM, but with recent changes to E50k, see very little incentive to push it hard to get to 2MM. Will reduce my AC miles by about 50k this year, will still hit SE100k, but moving all rouged routes and HKG to other carriers. This is a significant amount of dollars going elsewhere.
Our group is doing this exact same thing with travel heading over to CX for our YVRHKG travel (all are SE's and two are MM's).

As carriers like QR, EK, EY and TK expand their route network we have been moving travel over to those carriers gradually. I travel to East Africa every month and I'm really enjoying QR and TK for the route (YVRYYZIST... and YVRYYZDOH...) over the AC route (YVRYULBRU...).
Old May 17, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
fully flat J product identical to LX/OS/SN/some DL acft with 6 single seats (soon to be reserved for top tier/paid J)
Is there a point to this? AC will be the first airline to carry discriminatory seating to the J cabin. What next - seats 8A in 763; 6A, 11A and all the back seats in 77W and 77L; 9A and 13A in 333; 4D, 5G and similar seats in 77HD .... which have more privacy, storage and work space will be declared preferred seats to be fought over by top tier/paid J? The plan to reserve the 6 single seats for special groups is unnecessary especially given the lack of consensus on their suitability for rest and sleep. Ben Smith should look at the data for occupancy before implementing that decision. They may show that those seats are most likely occupied by the preferred groups. On international flights, the likelihood that pax with status lower than SE sit there is remote unless they bought Latitude or Flexible PE enabling instant upgrade at booking if R-space exists. Maybe, this plan is a forerunner of one that would put an extra cash charge on the seats.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by yvr76
Would you expect your wife (presuming she has no status) get the upgrade and the next SE in line miss it? How would you feel if the situation was reversed and you were the SE next on the list?
Absolutely. If the shoe was on the other foot I'm ok with missing out on a upgrade because someone was higher up the list was traveling with a spouse or immediate family member. In my mind they have earned the status as well by putting up with all the time their FF spouse was away on business. Being able to upgrade while on vacation is supposed to be a major benefit IMO.

These are space available upgrades and you only have a right to sit in the cabin that you paid for but if upgrades are going to be given out then let's not punish the FF with a system that is biased towards separating couples. Ever hear of "happy wife, happy life"? In my mind the only time the upgrade in this situation should be split is if there is only 1 seat left.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Lllahim
Is there a point to this? AC will be the first airline to carry discriminatory seating to the J cabin. What next - seats 8A in 763; 6A, 11A and all the back seats in 77W and 77L; 9A and 13A in 333; 4D, 5G and similar seats in 77HD .... which have more privacy, storage and work space will be declared preferred seats to be fought over by top tier/paid J? The plan to reserve the 6 single seats for special groups is unnecessary especially given the lack of consensus on their suitability for rest and sleep. Ben Smith should look at the data for occupancy before implementing that decision. They may show that those seats are most likely occupied by the preferred groups. On international flights, the likelihood that pax with status lower than SE sit there is remote unless they bought Latitude or Flexible PE enabling instant upgrade at booking if R-space exists. Maybe, this plan is a forerunner of one that would put an extra cash charge on the seats.
I'm SE/MM and my most frequent routes are YVRHKG and YVRLHR, both on the HD. I have also flown the HD ON YVRYYZ. I believe I've been on the HD 16-18 times to date...and I've only managed to get a single seat once. All of these flights have been on J and Latitude Flight Passes, paid J and a couple of Flex upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.