Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by antirealist
The trouble is that there are undesirable seats in J, and paying for it doesn't guarantee you won't get one.
That's true, luckily I've only been on the side once. Even so, it's still better than Y.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

For those of you who are paying for J, I would absolutely divert my business to another airline. My company won't pay for J, so this is the only way for me to get into J paying flex (or so) fares. If I had to pay double the flex fare, I would have to suck it up and fly another route even if it was Y all the way. (No way in h*ll I will fly YVR-HKG in the 777HD Y cabin.)
Old May 1, 2014, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Just a J-class update, or are they bringing in 788-style PE and Y seats as the same time as the new J config?
Dunno...what was confirmed is that they will convert PODS and HD J class seats to B788 J class seats as a fleet standard.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEMM
Dunno...what was confirmed is that they will convert PODS and HD J class seats to B788 J class seats as a fleet standard.
The comment I heard was only about J class.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Do these 777s have mood lights?
Old May 18, 2014, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC 2MMSE, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platinum,M&More HON
Originally Posted by LY777
Yes they do
Old May 18, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Thanks
Old May 18, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I'm going YYZ-SIN in a couple of weeks. Got a great Z fare through NRT, and booked PE back through HKG to YVR. Has anyone reported on the PE experience here, haven't had time to go through the entire thread, but just curious if there has been a repot. TIA.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:52 pm

Someone at sqtalk did a report on it... here is the link:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14044

Carfield
Old May 18, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by Carfield
Someone at sqtalk did a report on it... here is the link:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14044

Carfield
Thanks!
Old May 20, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AC E75K
Does anyone know which rows in J have missing/misaligned windows on this plane?
Old May 20, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by AC888
Does anyone know which rows in J have missing/misaligned windows on this plane?
Row 7 is missing one of two windows, though the remaining window is still well positioned for looking out directly beside you.

Extra Y bonus info, row 22 has a misaligned window and 25 lines up in such a way you can't see out at all due to the missing window.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Ive been avoiding the 'beast' as long as i can by flying from asia to e.u. to vancouver via toronto with AC. Yesterday was my first time on the 777HD on flight 008 as had to be in both yvr for half the day to do some errands, and then to yeg for jasper.

It wasnt as 'bad' as i thought of it to be. Slept well sleeping sideways or face down. Sleeping face up was indeed a challenge as my shoulders wont fit when the seat lies flat.

Meal was served in 30-45 minutes from departure and was done by 1.5 hours from departure. So pretty fast. After the nuts and champagne, dinner was immediately served.

Toilets are larger than the 777 pods so that was good. I also like the fact that i wouldnt wake up when someone slams the monitor like that of the 777 pods.

Been told by 2 AC staffs that they do indeed pre-block the throne seats for top tier. Was sitting on 6K on an upgraded flight (flight on J was 100% full, and the rest of the cabin was at least 95% full. So pretty pleased about it that i got the single seat when i was waitlisted on this flight.

And this is just my opinion...But it wasnt bad at all....Will be sitting on 6G this weekend on AC 007, so we'll see if my impression of this aircraft type would change....But sleep wise, still slept well...

Last edited by supatight80; May 20, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC2MM SE Fairmont Presidents club
Originally Posted by LY777
Didn't work for me. I was in a very foul mood for the entire trip!
Old May 29, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Comments on the "Throne" - 777HD J-Class

I took AC855 yesterday and had my first experience in the HD J-Class. I had a throne seat - which I thought would be great - but I have some issues with this new cabin and the Throne seat in particular.

Here are my impressions.

The first thing you notice when you come into the J-Class is how close the seats are from front to back. It looks crammed and if you have A/K in the 2-2-2 rows - you really look stuck and have to climb over your seat mate.

The Throne seats (A/K in 1-2-1) are quite spacious with significant extra space on each side of the seat. I do however have to say that this foot box is small and very restrictive. I am 6'3 and found that not only was I slightly taller than the total length of the lie-flat bed - but due to the restrictive movement in the "box", I also could not bend my legs to fit easily while sleeping. If someone were very tall at 6'6 or more - you could not actually fit in this seat when it was lie-flat.

I found the new video screen quite nice and is a modest improvement over the pod screens. The noise-cancelling headphones work great and they do give you earbud headphones for the takeoff and landing.

The seat itself is more comfortable in the sitting position than the pods. However, it did not have as many adjustment positions (I really like the head position movement on the pod - which the HD seats don't have).

One thing that I found completely crazy was the "Touch-sensitive" seat adjustment pad. There are no tactile buttons - which means that if you are leaning on it (which somehow I did all the time because it is under your arm when you are on the armrest), the seat starts to move in ways you don't want. I found the lumbar / vibration and footrest would activate/start moving unintentionally (same pet peeve I have with Iphones - nice toy - can't stand the touch screen).

As for the foot box - there are different sizes. You should be aware of which ones are which size. If you are shorter, the throne seat will not be that bad - but for tall people - you will really need to take one of the aisle seats with the box out towards the aisle.

Finally - On the sleeping comfort - it was not bad except I was too tall. I think the mattresses are a bit better. AC seems also to have increased the quality of the blanket / pillow.

My next post will be for the 787. Hoping to clear the R-Class but I'm more expecting to play upgrade roulette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.