Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by supremekai
One of my frds was flying out yvr- yyz - ewr today and she just msged me saying she was so happy that she got free checked in one bag priority boarding. I asked her how and she told me because of the Td aeroplan infinite card. ( not the privilege one and I helped her booked her ticket on expedia. The cheapest Tango fare one). Since she's not on a reward ticket she was not supposed to enjoy these benefits. I wonder how ac can enforce its
policy....
It's supposed to say AC*CC on the boarding pass. Not sure if it did, or if she just tried to get through by waiving her credit card. Unless AC moves to zoned boarding, I can't blame gate agents for not being able to keep up.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by yvr76
It's supposed to say AC*CC on the boarding pass. Not sure if it did, or if she just tried to get through by waiving her credit card. Unless AC moves to zoned boarding, I can't blame gate agents for not being able to keep up.
But for the free bag, AC should have very clear rules in their system so the agent can find it easily.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:44 pm

I have a question for those of you who have far more experience with CC's and although I try following this on FT and RFD I am unclear if I've read this already. I received an offer for the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite for FYF and the standard 15000 aeroplan miles if I apply before April 19. Is this offer likely to come up again soon after this, or the offer extended. I'd like to take advantage of it but not comfortable until June or so applying for another CC. I'd really appreciate any advice. TIA.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
I have a question for those of you who have far more experience with CC's and although I try following this on FT and RFD I am unclear if I've read this already. I received an offer for the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite for FYF and the standard 15000 aeroplan miles if I apply before April 19. Is this offer likely to come up again soon after this, or the offer extended. I'd like to take advantage of it but not comfortable until June or so applying for another CC. I'd really appreciate any advice. TIA.
Sadly, nobody can guarantee the future
but if I have to guess, I think TD will keep the FYF, and 15K Aeroplan offer, just like CIBC kept their Aerogold offer all the time
TD may even "update their online application" to allow FYF online too

However, not so sure about the Free 2-for-1 offer (for cards who applied before May 9th), so it depends on how much you value 2-for-1 (some consider it another free 15K Aeroplan)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Sadly, nobody can guarantee the future
but if I have to guess, I think TD will keep the FYF, and 15K Aeroplan offer, just like CIBC kept their Aerogold offer all the time
TD may even "update their online application" to allow FYF online too

However, not so sure about the Free 2-for-1 offer (for cards who applied before May 9th), so it depends on how much you value 2-for-1 (some consider it another free 15K Aeroplan)
Thanks jerryhung.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: *void
What kind of "offer" did you get? Standard promotion is open to everyone till May 9th. The TD Aero Visas are a NEW card as of Jan 2014. It was originally launched with an early March 2014 expiry, but then they extended it to May 9th. See wiki banner at top of each page in this thread (if viewing with a browser, not the app).

No one has any data to reliably comment on if TD will run the promo again, with the same terms, since it is such a new card, but as jerry mentioned, CIBC has been running their Aerogold at 15K and $0 FYF for 3 months during May-Jul 2012, Oct-Dec 2012, Jun-Aug 2013. And now their most recent one, Jan-Mar 2014 but at higher promo points (20K $0 FYF). Speculation has been that CIBC had been running their promos to build up the number of Aerogold Visa cardmember accounts, in anticipation of their renewal/renegotiations with Aimia, which as we know now has resulted in a handoff (sale) of 50% of CIBC Aerogold accounts to TD.

So, will TD continue to run a similar promo? Probably, especially if they have to compete with CIBC who are still going to be issuing Aerogold Visas for another 10 years, as per their renegotiated agreement with Aimia.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by supremekai
One of my frds was flying out yvr- yyz - ewr today and she just msged me saying she was so happy that she got free checked in one bag priority boarding. I asked her how and she told me because of the Td aeroplan infinite card. ( not the privilege one and I helped her booked her ticket on expedia. The cheapest Tango fare one). Since she's not on a reward ticket she was not supposed to enjoy these benefits. I wonder how ac can enforce its
policy....
Originally Posted by Cana2013
But for the free bag, AC should have very clear rules in their system so the agent can find it easily.
At least it was a received bonus, instead of having the benefit and not receiving it.

I'm not sure why the free bag is just on reward tickets. It should be on every ticket. I believe that's how most American Card Benefits work.. across the board.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
What kind of "offer" did you get? Standard promotion is open to everyone till May 9th. The TD Aero Visas are a NEW card as of Jan 2014. It was originally launched with an early March 2014 expiry, but then they extended it to May 9th. See wiki banner at top of each page in this thread (if viewing with a browser, not the app).

No one has any data to reliably comment on if TD will run the promo again, with the same terms, since it is such a new card, but as jerry mentioned, CIBC has been running their Aerogold at 15K and $0 FYF for 3 months during May-Jul 2012, Oct-Dec 2012, Jun-Aug 2013. And now their most recent one, Jan-Mar 2014 but at higher promo points (20K $0 FYF). Speculation has been that CIBC had been running their promos to build up the number of Aerogold Visa cardmember accounts, in anticipation of their renewal/renegotiations with Aimia, which as we know now has resulted in a handoff (sale) of 50% of CIBC Aerogold accounts to TD.

So, will TD continue to run a similar promo? Probably, especially if they have to compete with CIBC who are still going to be issuing Aerogold Visas for another 10 years, as per their renegotiated agreement with Aimia.
Many thanks for this very helpful information.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
No, they only waive the primary card, not the supplementary card(s).
That was what I was told and indeed, the fees for both cards were reversed in my case. Maybe I was lucky, so YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
As other posters have noted, no one can predict the future. If you are not comfortable applying for the card at this time, I would suggest you don't. The points are not worth a financial problem - and frankly it is hard to get the 2 for 1 reward since they have been handed out like candy (and don't forget, you would still have to pay 2 sets of taxes etc.). The e-ticket itself would show only one set of taxes - the two charges would appear on your credit card.

Truthfully, I would not be surprised if after this year both the priority boarding and free checked bag for reward bookings for the primary cardholder are discontinued.

But since we are not card churners (fine for those that are - we are not) and actually have banked at TD for many years - yet our CIBC cards were sold despite our holdings with Wood Gundy - when they come up for renewal at the end of Nov. if we are not offered a year's free fee waiver - we will not be renewing our Aeroplan cards with TD.

I remember the old banking ads that stated they treat existing customers as well as they do new customers. No longer true!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Murphy123
As other posters have noted, no one can predict the future. If you are not comfortable applying for the card at this time, I would suggest you don't. The points are not worth a financial problem - and frankly it is hard to get the 2 for 1 reward since they have been handed out like candy (and don't forget, you would still have to pay 2 sets of taxes etc.). The e-ticket itself would show only one set of taxes - the two charges would appear on your credit card.

Truthfully, I would not be surprised if after this year both the priority boarding and free checked bag for reward bookings for the primary cardholder are discontinued.

But since we are not card churners (fine for those that are - we are not) and actually have banked at TD for many years - yet our CIBC cards were sold despite our holdings with Wood Gundy - when they come up for renewal at the end of Nov. if we are not offered a year's free fee waiver - we will not be renewing our Aeroplan cards with TD.

I remember the old banking ads that stated they treat existing customers as well as they do new customers. No longer true!
I appreciate the info. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Murphy123

I would be surprised if TD and CIBC abolish this benefit truthfully. I'm surprised Amex doesn't offer the free checked bag on their AE gold.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:30 pm

Hi - So I walked into TD this afternoon to inquire about the TD Aeroplan card, and they informed me I was pre-approved with no credit check for $20K limit, checked my ID and told me I'd get the card in the mail... 5 min, too easy. I have my mortgage at TD but that's it. Just curious, since I've never bothered to check my credit rating (no reason to worry about it), is pre-approval with that high a limit (which I didn't take) any indication of credit rating, or no relation?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by KatCanuck
Hi - So I walked into TD this afternoon to inquire about the TD Aeroplan card, and they informed me I was pre-approved with no credit check for $20K limit, checked my ID and told me I'd get the card in the mail... 5 min, too easy. I have my mortgage at TD but that's it. Just curious, since I've never bothered to check my credit rating (no reason to worry about it), is pre-approval with that high a limit (which I didn't take) any indication of credit rating, or no relation?
If they don't pull your credit report then there is no relation to your credit rating. The pre-approval should be based on your on time payments for your mortgage.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
If they don't pull your credit report then there is no relation to your credit rating. The pre-approval should be based on your on time payments for your mortgage.
Ah, duh, ok makes sense. Hard not to pay on time when it's automated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.