Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Just an update as I called TD today to get Aeroplan CC #2 (I already have TD Aeroplan Infinite)

I was told it's "one bonus PER CUSTOMER", not per card, so I wouldn't get the 2nd bonus again, even if I applied for a DIFFERENT card (say Platinum, 10K Aeroplan)

Sucks, next time I should've applied earlier before TD caught on
That should be clearly stated in the application
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by Cana2013
That should be clearly stated in the application
But like I and others have stated, TD makes the rules as it goes along, and round to their favour, have knit picky rules and generally are like those cheap people we all love to hate.

I have never liked TD's credit cards, and still don't. I'm cancelling my in transition Biz cards, actual TD biz cards even though I have to pay CIBC $180 for their BIZ Aerogold, I'm just waiting for the miles.
I'm still shocked the TD biz card has a mag. stripe, no chip! I think Sobeys needs ID now for mag stripe cards, it looked that way today, unless I read the note wrong.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:01 pm

Did TD not say that it was one bonus per customer?

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
But like I and others have stated, TD makes the rules as it goes along, and round to their favour, have knit picky rules and generally are like those cheap people we all love to hate.

I have never liked TD's credit cards, and still don't. I'm cancelling my in transition Biz cards, actual TD biz cards even though I have to pay CIBC $180 for their BIZ Aerogold, I'm just waiting for the miles.
I'm still shocked the TD biz card has a mag. stripe, no chip! I think Sobeys needs ID now for mag stripe cards, it looked that way today, unless I read the note wrong.
ID for using your credit card is illegal, no? I feel like I've heard that somewhere...
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201

ID for using your credit card is illegal, no? I feel like I've heard that somewhere...
I was asked to show one when using debit card today. Hell I needed to show ID to withdraw cash using a teller service. Don't need one at the machine.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Not illegal.
It CAN be done IF the CC signature does not match the back of the CC as a method of verification.
I know that VIOR does prevent merchants from requiring ID in order to pay by Visa.
(I do not know MC regulations as well but the cards here are all Visa cards so other card regulations are irrelevant.)
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE

I don't think asking for ID is illegal. I've been asked a few times when my chip wouldn't work and they wanted ID before accepting a swipe. I'm completely OK with retailers doing that, since it's an additional step in preventing fraud.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
ID for using credit card is routine in the USA in many places I've shopped. Chips are still uncommon there.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
ID for using credit card is routine in the USA in many places I've shopped. Chips are still uncommon there.
"Uncommon" is an understatement.

I've been here about 18 months now, I pay for everything with credit card, and I have yet to see anyone accept a chip.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I don't think asking for ID is illegal. I've been asked a few times when my chip wouldn't work and they wanted ID before accepting a swipe. I'm completely OK with retailers doing that, since it's an additional step in preventing fraud.
In the EU not only is it legal to ask for ID, it is standard practice for any transaction that is without a chip+pin. You will notice many stores have signs to this effect posted clearly at every point of sale.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:42 am

The US is the last holdout for pin and chip technology. Read an article and it's hugely impacted fraudulent transactions for us Canadians. As for the US? It's coming, it has too, savings will probably be in the billions. Not that consumers will benefit mind you.

As for the "one bonus per customer" my branch manager TOLD me to get 2 cards so we would each get the bonus. He was as shocked as I was when I sent a ranting email. I did get the supplemental fee back as they took the 2 free cards and made one a supp. card with $49 tagged on. Nice eh?

I have my CIBC Aerogold for Biz on it's way. 15,000 for $180, ugh, but I will not support TD CC'd dept. For a business account they've been good to me for 25+yrs. Their new bank machines with the cheque scanning technology is OK, but every now and then I have a cheque the machine rejects and I have to line up to deposit it. I do get a 3'-4'L printout with the cheque images on it, comes in handy.

I remember the first biz credit card they gave us. $3K limit and no points. It felt like it was such a privilege even to be allowed to get the card (it was 15yrs ago). I still have the odd customer that has one, I feel like asking WHY???????????
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In the EU not only is it legal to ask for ID, it is standard practice for any transaction that is without a chip+pin. You will notice many stores have signs to this effect posted clearly at every point of sale.
Even to the point that they expect foreigners to carry around their passports (rather than showing a copy of other documents such as citizenship card/driving licence.)
That being said in the EU they have different acceptance rules (their contract is with Visa Europe, and I know that France, Germany, UK, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Ireland are participating territories.)
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 pm

"
Cashiers often ask for ID with credit card purchases to make sure the right person is using the credit card, thereby preventing credit card fraud. However, VISA and MasterCard merchant-credit card agreements don't allow stores to require ID for credit card transactions. Merchants can ask for ID, but they can't refuse the transaction if you don't show your ID.If a merchant refuses to honor your credit card because you won't show your ID, you can report to MasterCard online - Mastercard's Merchant Violation form - or report to VISA violations by calling the number on the back of your credit card.

Report a Problem Shopping

What is the nature of your concern?
The merchant/retailer is adding a surcharge for using your MasterCard card,
but did not disclose it before you paid.
The merchant/retailer required identification.
...... etc
"

And this is in place now and before chip cards.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Just an update as I called TD today to get Aeroplan CC #2 (I already have TD Aeroplan Infinite)

I was told it's "one bonus PER CUSTOMER", not per card, so I wouldn't get the 2nd bonus again, even if I applied for a DIFFERENT card (say Platinum, 10K Aeroplan)

Sucks, next time I should've applied earlier before TD caught on
Jerry, you should have struck while the TD-Iron was hot! Wife and I have milked this as much as we care too, so we're stopping now, after snagging +100K Aeros into our coffers!

I'll send you a PM with some tips, otherwise Capt Fluffypants would replicate my ideas and claim to be the originator of my ideas, as so often happens.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:27 am

I have essentially got nothing from TD. If I would have bothered with the Infinite card, I probably would have got the bank account offer as well. At the time I was getting so many miles I got lazy. I'll call TD to see if I can get FYF. Wonder if the one bonus per customer applies if one has a business card vs a personal card....even though I still gave not seen my 20K Bonus for the biz card.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
"
Cashiers often ask for ID with credit card purchases to make sure the right person is using the credit card, thereby preventing credit card fraud. However, VISA and MasterCard merchant-credit card agreements don't allow stores to require ID for credit card transactions. Merchants can ask for ID, but they can't refuse the transaction if you don't show your ID.If a merchant refuses to honor your credit card because you won't show your ID, you can report to MasterCard online - Mastercard's Merchant Violation form - or report to VISA violations by calling the number on the back of your credit card.

Report a Problem Shopping

What is the nature of your concern?
The merchant/retailer is adding a surcharge for using your MasterCard card,
but did not disclose it before you paid.
The merchant/retailer required identification.
...... etc
"

And this is in place now and before chip cards.
The number at the back of the card is to contact the acquirer (issuing bank), not VI.
Plus, there are those of us who use our cards overseas (though not for this card due to FX surcharge, and, in some cases, ability to receive CCs in other nations that I visit a lot.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.