Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 4:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I believe, as mentioned earlier, as part of their compensation, AC FA's are entitled to a limited number of confirmed J passes once every 10 years.

I personally don't see a problem with this, give the job that they do and especially considering how FA compensation is a proposition of diminishing returns.
Old May 4, 2013, 4:28 pm

AC Staff get a pair of confirmed J passes after 25 years of service, and then every 10 or 15 years there after.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by AC681
AC Staff get a pair of confirmed J passes after 25 years of service, and then every 10 or 15 years there after.
And yes, they will be the first to be downgraded in the event of a J/C oversale or configuration/equipment downgauge.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:43 pm

And the first to be asked to switch seats in the event of an IFE or seat troubles (Have done this multiple times)
Old May 4, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by AC681
And the first to be asked to switch seats in the event of an IFE or seat troubles (Have done this multiple times)
This occurred today, and I didn't even have to ask. The employee who oversaw my exchange offered.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Never in my years of flying has a pilot ever declined giving up his/her meal for a revenue Customer - not once. On short haul flights nobody Is going to sulk about giving up an omelette and on longer flights, we have the resources at our disposal to compensate.
wow i must be really unlucky then. coming back from LHR sitting at the back of the plane I got no dinner. I was the only one. they gave me part of a ex-first even though i was in economy because they ran out of food. but no main course. I guess the pilot went hungry too for 10 hours or so? Sometimes the AC people posting on here are so funny! I can only conclude without being mean they are paid to be on here and toe the company line. Because certainly that isn't the only time AC has ran out of food on me. It happens a lot when you get stuck at the back of the plane(my fault entirely).
Old May 4, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by todare
wow i must be really unlucky then. coming back from LHR sitting at the back of the plane I got no dinner. I was the only one. they gave me part of a ex-first even though i was in economy because they ran out of food. but no main course. I guess the pilot went hungry too for 10 hours or so? Sometimes the AC people posting on here are so funny! I can only conclude without being mean they are paid to be on here and toe the company line. Because certainly that isn't the only time AC has ran out of food on me. It happens a lot when you get stuck at the back of the plane(my fault entirely).
I think you´re talking apples and oranges. The captain and FAs would have their own crew meals on int´l flights and I wouldn´t expect them to give it to a pax (although I have seen it happen).

The OP was about a captain sitting in J who received a meal while a fellow pax in J didn´t. That´s a very different story IMO.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I think you´re talking apples and oranges. The captain and FAs would have their own crew meals on int´l flights and I wouldn´t expect them to give it to a pax (although I have seen it happen).

The OP was about a captain sitting in J who received a meal while a fellow pax in J didn´t. That´s a very different story IMO.
Couple stories to share:

Mrs. YVR is gluten intolerant. She doesn't request a special meal because she doesn't have celiac's. On YVR SFO flight a couple years back there was only pasta left when they got to her. The SD checked with the Captain (in the cockpit) and she was offered his meal.

On CUN YYZ earlier this year, with off-duty crew in J. SD asked all pax their meal preference in order of row #, without prioritizing revenue pax or SEs (not sure how many others there were on the flight except for me).

Interestingly, on the CUN YYZ flight I was not offered an LMU for my nephew seated in Y (tried OLCI and asked at the gate and was informed flight was full). Yet somehow at least 2 off duty crew were in J (and where definitely too young for the 15 or 25 years of service J pass).
Old May 4, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by todare
wow i must be really unlucky then. Sometimes the AC people posting on here are so funny! I can only conclude without being mean they are paid to be on here and toe the company line.
You're not mean at all. Where the heck is my FT dividend check anyway?
Old May 4, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
You're not mean at all. Where the heck is my FT dividend check anyway?
Sorry, any bonuses have been retroactively enhanced. Didn´t you read the note on page 385 of the memo sent out on April 31?
Old May 4, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I think you´re talking apples and oranges.
I don't think so.

Apples and oranges are not stories people make up on the internet.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
Sometimes the AC people posting on here are so funny! I can only conclude without being mean they are paid to be on here and toe the company line. Because certainly that isn't the only time AC has ran out of food on me. It happens a lot when you get stuck at the back of the plane(my fault entirely).
[/QUOTE]

The paranoia on this forum is unbelievable. AC does not have the time or the interest to be on this forum to "Toe" the company line "which should be spelled
"Tow". AC employees can spell!!! Which is more than they can say for some FT'rs on here.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
[/QUOTE]
The paranoia on this forum is unbelievable. AC does not have the time or the interest to be on this forum to "Toe" the company line "which should be spelled
"Tow". AC employees can spell!!! Which is more than they can say for some FT'rs on here.[/QUOTE]

Samcat, before you flame FT'ers for their spelling, please attempt to use appropriate grammar in your posts.."AC does not have the time NOR the interest..."

Just saying
Old May 5, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I work in the travel industry (albeit not airline) for a globally recognized company and we too have 'perks' with respect to travel; however they are far from anything being mentioned here (i.e. comp'd J seats or comp'd anything for that matter).

All perks we're offered come by way of a 'paying customer first' mentality so if I've applied for a benefit and there is room/space available than I may very well get the perk (at a discounted price); however if paying customers are in line as well they will get the priority and if nothing is left than so be it, I get nothing.

I don't do my job for the perks, I do it for the pay check and the perks are simply a bonus which I may or may not be able to take advantage of. That said, if/when I do get to take advantage its not to say that my co-worker's won't try to take care of me in some way but this is NEVER at the detriment of customers.

I don't disagree with AC employees getting a bonus or perk as part of the job, but they shouldn't be prioritized in front of paying customers, eUP'd or otherwise as Y revenue or award redemption scamcharge revenue is still money coming in whereas a FA in J is not.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by Neil791
I work in the travel industry (albeit not airline) for a globally recognized company and we too have 'perks' with respect to travel; however they are far from anything being mentioned here (i.e. comp'd J seats or comp'd anything for that matter).

All perks we're offered come by way of a 'paying customer first' mentality so if I've applied for a benefit and there is room/space available than I may very well get the perk (at a discounted price); however if paying customers are in line as well they will get the priority and if nothing is left than so be it, I get nothing.

I don't do my job for the perks, I do it for the pay check and the perks are simply a bonus which I may or may not be able to take advantage of. That said, if/when I do get to take advantage its not to say that my co-worker's won't try to take care of me in some way but this is NEVER at the detriment of customers.

I don't disagree with AC employees getting a bonus or perk as part of the job, but they shouldn't be prioritized in front of paying customers, eUP'd or otherwise as Y revenue or award redemption scamcharge revenue is still money coming in whereas a FA in J is not.
Well said. The corridor route is the worst (YYZ, YOW, YUL) ...the FAs pile on, rearrange everyone's luggage and proceed to have a party up front. I have seen this plus heard about it from many SE.

I have remained silent about another trip. On a recent flight in early Feb from Toronto to Calgary, a FA/staff member was upgraded at the gate. I was sitting in bulkhead directly behind. The flight was full and the SD came over and asked us if we would move to a few rows back so the FA/ staff member's family could sit closer to him. Both of us refused as they wanted us to move to a middle and window. The SD was not pleased. He brought meals, snacks, drinks all through the flight free of charge to the staff member's family. Crew look after their own. We asked for water once during the flight and he said there wasn't any only to see him pouring some a few minutes later through the curtain. Not all SDs are like this but this one was and it reflects badly on the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.