Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by canolakid
I said 'you can't count on' not that it never happens... hope you enjoyed the ride!
Ride was fine. Flight was OT for arrival and I had time for two glasses of ginger ale (not 7UP ! ) on the short flight down the Hudson River Valley.

Old May 2, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Look, as a SE I have also benefitted from a SD approaching me prior to take off and inviting me into the J cabin when I have been seated in Y. I will never forget that gesture of good will and my loyalty to AC remains because of it. Of course, this was on the YYZ to LHR route which lately has been largely empty in J.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
I also recently encountered an issue somewhat similar to this.

I was arriving in YVR from HKG and was connecting on my flight to YYC. I was on a full paid J ticket. I was travelling with only carry on. The HKG flight got in early and I hustled to try and move up to an earlier flight.

When I arrived at the desk of the YVR-YYC flight before mine (1 hr earlier) which wasn't quite boarding yet, I inquired about moving up to the earlier flight in J, while at exactly the same time two uniformed (non-pilot) AC staff were requesting their upgrade to J (which I heard). The two AC staff at the desk counter went back and forth for a while but then said I couldn't get onto the flight because it had "checked in full" while handing the new BPs to the two AC staff beside me. Offered me a seat in economy then.

I just looked at the guy, looked at the two staff who beat a hasty retreat, and walked 20 feet to the lounge (it was that gate right across from the lounge in YVR) to cool my feet for an hour. I wasn't up for a fight and it was only an hour, but still. Made me feel like AC would rather take care of staffers.

Was I asking for a favour? Yeah sure. What is the rule about moving up one flight? I can't remember exactly. But after HKG-YVR as a full fare J and an E at the time, I just wanted to see if I could get home an hour early...

Optics.
Old May 2, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect these things happened a lot in the past when gate agents were in full control. But nowadays the upgrade process is done by the computer, so it normally goes by policy.

This said, I have seen cases at US stations where some seat in J went empty even though there were more people who had requested upgrades. Saw this at DFW in january, victim was a friend of mine, who was eventually moved up by the SD.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:43 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Losing At The UG Lottery Game

I have found there are only TWO ways to guarantee F or J Class...

1. Buy it ($)
2. Use miles &/or copay.

ANYTHING other than this, and you too can be an Upgrade Lottery Loser* )-:

*As a an FYI, played the game for some 20 years & WON EVERY TIME until 2 years an I did not catch an UG from Y>C on a flight from IAD>FCO. Figured my "luck" had ran, so started using the above strategy. Yes, it's not cheap, but the peace of mind usually isn't (-;
Old May 2, 2013, 6:56 pm
Suspended

About Thai: I fly a fair amount with them and I received one op-up from J to F on a short haul. Other than that happening (which happened during checkin because I think the girls thought it was funny), they don't even recognize your status on board the plane.

Oneworld though, as an Emerald, every flight I go on with any partner the service director comes and greets me. I got a bottle of water once too. But, that's all it got me, never an op-up, even on Cathay (where I hold my status).

This was my experience as an SE on Air Canada, but only limited to AC, SD always greeted me but other star alliance partners ignored it and at times have even dinged me for extra luggage (Lufthansa and LOT) ignoring the *G terms. I never received an op-up or anything special other than the hello.

Delta as Gold has upgraded me 100% on their flights.

Of course my love is now given to Delta.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Also I'll say that I've enjoyed my AC flying, just that I prefer getting upgraded 100% of the time while paying half the economy fare of AC.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Angry

I was on a flight from YVR to YYC (paid a business fare and was not upgraded), there was an AC captain who was seated with us in J (in his official uniform). they only loaded 8 meals on the plane (9 total J seats, all occupied). So everybody got a meal but me (I was seated in last row and I had an E status at that time). F/A gave me extra crackers. I asked how come she said sorry but we ran out (the captain was enjoying my meal I assumed).

bottom line: AC employees >>>>>> passengers.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by huntk
Look, as a SE I have also benefitted from a SD approaching me prior to take off and inviting me into the J cabin when I have been seated in Y. I will never forget that gesture of good will and my loyalty to AC remains because of it. Of course, this was on the YYZ to LHR route which lately has been largely empty in J.
And there was also the time when you sat in Y from YVR-YYZ (while on an onward connection from Asia where you upgraded with ecredits) because J had supposedly checked in full, and then watched the SD move an AC employee up to an empty J seat.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vagus
I was on a flight from YVR to YYC (paid a business fare and was not upgraded), there was an AC captain who was seated with us in J (in his official uniform). they only loaded 8 meals on the plane (9 total J seats, all occupied). So everybody got a meal but me (I was seated in last row and I had an E status at that time). F/A gave me extra crackers. I asked how come she said sorry but we ran out (the captain was enjoying my meal I assumed).

bottom line: AC employees >>>>>> passengers.
The captain very likely qualified for being in J as per contract. But that's not the issue; he is not the one who got your meal.

But if they did load only 8 meals for nine passengers, some people who were upgraded were supposed to not get one before you. So the crew messed this up.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
And if you filed a complaint, you'd probably get a $50 voucher.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
But if they did load only 8 meals for nine passengers, some people who were upgraded were supposed to not get one before you. So the crew messed this up.
I agree.

As per Margarita girl, you should bring the issue to AC's attention because this stuff should not happen.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NordsFan
Yup, E75.

However, even though the UG was a result of W+B, the guy who was selected to get the J seat was me, the SE/MMer and not another pax plucked at random from the back.

In my book, that is a courtesy and a smart way of managing the issue.
Did AC pick you for weight OR balance?
Old May 3, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by acysb87
Did AC pick you for weight OR balance?
Probably the former.....
Old May 3, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by NordsFan
Yup, E75.

However, even though the UG was a result of W+B, the guy who was selected to get the J seat was me, the SE/MMer and not another pax plucked at random from the back.

In my book, that is a courtesy and a smart way of managing the issue.
Yup, same here. Twice. Same route. Back when I was (still) a lowly *E (back when that still existed!). Refused LMUs, didn't want to use eUpgrades for such a short flight but got to sit in J nevertheless. Can't complain about SOPs in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.