Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 6:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"Samcat, before you flame FT'ers for their spelling, please attempt to use appropriate grammar in your posts.."AC does not have the time NOR the interest..."

while that is grammatically correct it is non-idiomatic. Better would be:

"Samcat, before you flame FT'ers for their spelling, please attempt to use appropriate grammar in your posts.."AC neither has the time nor the interest..."

now back to your regular programming . . .
Old May 5, 2013, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by SamCat
The paranoia on this forum is unbelievable. AC does not have the time or the interest to be on this forum to "Toe" the company line "which should be spelled
"Tow". AC employees can spell!!! Which is more than they can say for some FT'rs on here.
Before you start correcting people on their misuse of an expression you should probably look up said expression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line
Old May 5, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by todare
wow i must be really unlucky then.

Indeed it would seem some people are really unlucky.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SamCat

The paranoia on this forum is unbelievable. AC does not have the time or the interest to be on this forum to "Toe" the company line "which should be spelled
"Tow". AC employees can spell!!! Which is more than they can say for some FT'rs on here.
I LOVE when people come on here to chastise someone for something pedantic and end up looking like an absolute clueless jerk.

It IS "toe the line." I'll refrain from posting the link because it's earlier in this thread. In the meantime, I believe any point you attempted to make just got shot to shreds, through no one's fault but your own.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by nm761
Relevant flight experiences yesterday afternoon (3MAY):

AC459 YOW-YYZ, SKED 16.00 – an announcement was made that the 17.00 flight will be downgauged, so they were inviting to move passengers with no baggage or connections to move to the 16.00 flight, which made the 16.00 flight full, in fact, uncomfortably full. I would say about 5 or 6 FAs end up in J on AC459, but what really irked me was the mad rush for the gate which all of these FAs made to board the flight, completely disregarding all other priority passengers. I would argue, confirmed J or not, staff should board last, not first. It was quite a picture to see them sitting in J staring at every passenger who was coming in on board afterwards.
You and I were on the same flight. I was confirmed in J on 461 at 17:00 and had put myself on the stand-by list for 16:00. As told to me by an employee, deadheading crew had priority above me for the seats left (only J seats left at the time I was told). I ended up getting one of the last two J seats.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wings100
Well said. The corridor route is the worst (YYZ, YOW, YUL) ...the FAs pile on, rearrange everyone's luggage and proceed to have a party up front. I have seen this plus heard about it from many SE.

I have remained silent about another trip. On a recent flight in early Feb from Toronto to Calgary, a FA/staff member was upgraded at the gate. I was sitting in bulkhead directly behind. The flight was full and the SD came over and asked us if we would move to a few rows back so the FA/ staff member's family could sit closer to him. Both of us refused as they wanted us to move to a middle and window. The SD was not pleased. He brought meals, snacks, drinks all through the flight free of charge to the staff member's family. Crew look after their own. We asked for water once during the flight and he said there wasn't any only to see him pouring some a few minutes later through the curtain. Not all SDs are like this but this one was and it reflects badly on the airline.
Now you have me reconsidering my one failed upgrade this year. YYZ-YUL. They called three names at the gate (Smith, Jones, and Cow), then one GA said something to the other, and they made a new announcement along the lines of "Sorry, just Smith. Jones and Cow, please remain seated."

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
"Samcat, before you flame FT'ers for their spelling, please attempt to use appropriate grammar in your posts.."AC does not have the time NOR the interest..."

while that is grammatically correct it is non-idiomatic. Better would be:

"Samcat, before you flame FT'ers for their spelling, please attempt to use appropriate grammar in your posts.."AC neither has the time nor the interest..."

now back to your regular programming . . .
I'd also point out that "AC does not have the time or the interest" is a perfectly valid way to phrase it.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Wow I go to the west coast for the weekend to enjoy unseasonably high temperatures and sunshine and lots have happened here!

We need to stay nice and civil to each other. I can’t spell to save my life so those who live in glass houses….

I will share a positive story in favour of Air Canada and its employees. In one of the others posts I stated I hang around the counter and actively listen to what is happening because I have flown as an employee for most of my life and stuff happens that I want to be in know about. One time flying YYC-YXE in 2009 the CRJ flight had 51 passengers booked on it, including me! I over head the gate agent tell a Captain, flying dead head as a “con” like me, if he wanted a seat, she would boot me off as I was only “a son of an employee and ML5”. I was seven feet away, gate 18 and she had no idea I was the son of the employee.

The Captain said no, he would take the jump seat. When we boarded I went up to him shook his hand and thanked him for doing what he did. I appreciated what he did for me, he did the right thing. The gate agent, well she was in the wrong…….and for some reason CRA audited her that year and the next. Funny how these things work out!
Old May 5, 2013, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Wow I go to the west coast for the weekend to enjoy unseasonably high temperatures and sunshine and lots have happened here!

We need to stay nice and civil to each other. I can’t spell to save my life so those who live in glass houses….

I will share a positive story in favour of Air Canada and its employees. In one of the others posts I stated I hang around the counter and actively listen to what is happening because I have flown as an employee for most of my life and stuff happens that I want to be in know about. One time flying YYC-YXE in 2009 the CRJ flight had 51 passengers booked on it, including me! I over head the gate agent tell a Captain, flying dead head as a “con” like me, if he wanted a seat, she would boot me off as I was only “a son of an employee and ML5”. I was seven feet away, gate 18 and she had no idea I was the son of the employee.

The Captain said no, he would take the jump seat. When we boarded I went up to him shook his hand and thanked him for doing what he did. I appreciated what he did for me, he did the right thing. The gate agent, well she was in the wrong…….and for some reason CRA audited her that year and the next. Funny how these things work out!
What exactly does "con" mean?

I was sitting beside someone in Y last year. She had boarded fairly late, and had a middle seat. Her IFE didn't work, so when she mentioned it to the FA, I tried to use some of my FT knowledge, and said she deserved some form of compensation for this. She quickly said "no no, I'm flying con" or something like that.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
And yes, they will be the first to be downgraded in the event of a J/C oversale or configuration/equipment downgauge.
No, this is untrue based on a personal experience.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:31 pm

"con" is short form for Contingent, the industry term for a non-revenue passenger. Ie someone traveling on passes
Old May 5, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What exactly does "con" mean?
It is a "contingent" passenger, based on load.

Employees are 'cons'.

Last edited by Buzz Lightyear; May 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Old May 6, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by Wings100
Well said. The corridor route is the worst (YYZ, YOW, YUL) ...the FAs pile on, rearrange everyone's luggage and proceed to have a party up front. I have seen this plus heard about it from many SE.

I have remained silent about another trip. On a recent flight in early Feb from Toronto to Calgary, a FA/staff member was upgraded at the gate. I was sitting in bulkhead directly behind. The flight was full and the SD came over and asked us if we would move to a few rows back so the FA/ staff member's family could sit closer to him. Both of us refused as they wanted us to move to a middle and window. The SD was not pleased. He brought meals, snacks, drinks all through the flight free of charge to the staff member's family. Crew look after their own. We asked for water once during the flight and he said there wasn't any only to see him pouring some a few minutes later through the curtain. Not all SDs are like this but this one was and it reflects badly on the airline.
I'm not one to light fires where there is nothing to burn, but I can guarantee if it were me sitting in your seat and being treated as rudely as that I would have raised holy hell to AC; not that I would expect anything to be done but the mere principle would be enough for me.

If someone is out of line such as that SD was there is absolutely NO WAY it should have gone un-noticed. I don't care about the free meals and snacks, but to deny a paying passenger a cup of water simply because they (SD) are now in a bad mood and said paying passenger refused to be inconvenienced?!? This sort of behaviour is a total embarassment and although it might be in the vast minority, the fact it still occurs is bad enough!

All companies have 'bad apples' and the one I work for is no exception but I try to make a point of calling these people out when they act like complete jackasses and more people should do the same.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by Neil791
I'm not one to light fires where there is nothing to burn, but I can guarantee if it were me sitting in your seat and being treated as rudely as that I would have raised holy hell to AC; not that I would expect anything to be done but the mere principle would be enough for me.

If someone is out of line such as that SD was there is absolutely NO WAY it should have gone un-noticed. I don't care about the free meals and snacks, but to deny a paying passenger a cup of water simply because they (SD) are now in a bad mood and said paying passenger refused to be inconvenienced?!? This sort of behaviour is a total embarassment and although it might be in the vast minority, the fact it still occurs is bad enough!

All companies have 'bad apples' and the one I work for is no exception but I try to make a point of calling these people out when they act like complete jackasses and more people should do the same.
Neil-I appreciate the support but frankly I am weary. I do not believe that much can be done. When one complains AC sends you a voucher to placate you but I sense that nothing is done to reprimand the employee. I was willing to even purchase water on that flight but there was none for sale. I drank club soda....
Old May 6, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, this is untrue based on a personal experience.
Much (if not all) of what I post is based on my perceptions, the view from the other side or personal experiences. I can absolutely assure you that I was downgraded on the first leg of the then operating YYZ-HNL-SYD flight on a positive space pass due to an inoperative J/C seat. Logically, who else would they downgrade??
Old May 6, 2013, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Much (if not all) of what I post is based on my perceptions, the view from the other side or personal experiences. I can absolutely assure you that I was downgraded on the first leg of the then operating YYZ-HNL-SYD flight on a positive space pass due to an inoperative J/C seat. Logically, who else would they downgrade??
"Logically" - yes, I agree.

Mine was a personal experience too. I wrote to Customer Care afterwards and all I received was a shelf apology. I did not receive any compensation. No $ and no Aero point. AC refused to accept it to be a case of an involuntary downgrade.

I bought a Latitude ticket because I did not want to play aerolotto. I considered the ability to fly J on a Latitude fare when upgrade space was available to be a "perk" of being an upper tier member of Aeroplan.

AC obviously did not (and probably does not) think so.

I recognise that last minute equipment change happens at every airline. It bothered me that the last seat went to an AC employee rather than an E with a previously confirmed upgrade and my previously confirmed upgrade is not really "confirmed" which may be rescinded at AC's convenience. "Upgrade is subject to availability" was what was repeated to me. I did not really have a confirmed seat in J. I would have been satisfied if AC handled it as if it was an oversold/involuntary downgrade situation.

I would have been very happy if AC had offered $200 of MCO that may be used for future travel, or 15,000 points, the equivalent of an economy short hual redemption ticket. But AC did not.

The flight in question was a transoceanic flight that was delayed almost 2 hours before the equipment swap was announced. Total delay - almost 3.25 hours.

Last edited by Clipper801; May 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.