Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Priority of AC Employees vs. Status Passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
The most important factor here being, did you have the proper credits or fare category to entitle you to an upgrade?? On those occasion's when Customers have questioned this on-board, it was determined that 99.9% of the time despite status, the above was absent. I can only speak from experience, but employees who are upgraded into J are done so if they bear the proper eligibility/priority, and after the entitlements of revenue Customers are looked after.
You are living in LaLa land i am afraid. It must only happen on your flights. I have heard the same thing. I think pax who are aware notice how if there are J seats available even if you have credits and are on the upgrade list you won't get J. J will go out with seats empty and AC employees(whom i recognize) move to J from ecomony. They all laugh and giggle about it. Or someone in your party won't get the eupgrade and the air crew use the empty Js for the flight. Or...you get the pictures. If you ask why they say someone missed the paid j seat.

Please don't mistake me for complaining because it is what it is. Not worth my bother of holding it to me in fact i find it amusing. I will say competitively however moving up your crew or friends of the crew instead of giving eups space to intitled pax is not great business sense. Even flying with empty J is bad business really. Those airlines that give me a upgrade without my requesting it just because they have free space i forever have a warm feeling for. Thai Airlines comes to mind. economy to first class because of my gold status...nice.... AC never. It is a great way to generate postive spin for no money for a company called AC that is 38th in trust in the top 50 companies in Canada.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by todare
You are living in LaLa land i am afraid. It must only happen on your flights. I have heard the same thing. I think pax who are aware notice how if there are J seats available even if you have credits and are on the upgrade list you won't get J. J will go out with seats empty and AC employees(whom i recognize) move to J from ecomony. They all laugh and giggle about it. Or someone in your party won't get the eupgrade and the air crew use the empty Js for the flight. Or...you get the pictures. If you ask why they say someone missed the paid j seat.

Please don't mistake me for complaining because it is what it is. Not worth my bother of holding it to me in fact i find it amusing. I will say competitively however moving up your crew or friends of the crew instead of giving eups space to intitled pax is not great business sense. Even flying with empty J is bad business really. Those airlines that give me a upgrade without my requesting it just because they have free space i forever have a warm feeling for. Thai Airlines comes to mind. economy to first class because of my gold status...nice.... AC never. It is a great way to generate postive spin for no money for a company called AC that is 38th in trust in the top 50 companies in Canada.
I think it's fair to say from the tone of my many posts, I am extremely Customer/Guest friendly. While I don't set company policy, I do my very best to uphold it. I'm frankly surprised by your comments re Thai Airways. From my non-airline colleagues who fly, they regularly claim that the Asian airlines are amongst the most restrictively discerning when it comes to upgrades. I was under the impression that if you want it, generally you must pay for it.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I'm frankly surprised by your comments re Thai Airways. From my non-airline colleagues who fly, they regularly claim that the Asian airlines are amongst the most restrictively discerning when it comes to upgrades. I was under the impression that if you want it, generally you must pay for it.
I got the same experience with Asiana. Y upgraded to J, not because of overbooking. Just because we're *G.^
Old May 2, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
When I read posts like this, its bitter sweet for me. As my dad was a 33 year AC employee, I have flown as a con for most of my life, and I have enjoyed the benefits of my dad's employee benefits and before the computer systems took over, I benefited with who you knew etc.

Now I struggle as a Customer who pays, should employees fly up front when SE are in the back. I always look at boarding passess to see if they are employees as the dress code is gone so employees blend in much better with real customers.

Favourites happen all the time, I have friends who are married to AC F/A and I hear the stories with details. That is why I watch and see who is doing what. On one flight and I did post the details a few months ago, I caught the S/D moving off duty F/A and I made a STRONG Comment and I was shortly moved up and sat in 2C and when the f/a looked over I had that "crazy eyes" look and they knew I knew and they stayed quiet and to themselves for the short flight.

Its a reality, many long term employees earn J class passess and all employees receive a J class space available pass. It happens, its real, but I always travelled under the old fly for free rules, sit down, shut up, dont ask for anything, dont accept anything, don't complain, its a privilege and not a right!
Old May 2, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I think it's fair to say from the tone of my many posts, I am extremely Customer/Guest friendly. While I don't set company policy, I do my very best to uphold it. I'm frankly surprised by your comments re Thai Airways. From my non-airline colleagues who fly, they regularly claim that the Asian airlines are amongst the most restrictively discerning when it comes to upgrades. I was under the impression that if you want it, generally you must pay for it.
I´d tend to agree with you. I think Thai Airways is slightly different from the other airlines in that management has been horrific most years (apparently getting slightly better) with many upgrades handed out regularly if you know the right people. ALso, revenue management seems to do a terrible job IMO (which can be great from a FF perspective), so overbookings are quite common on some routes and it´s fairly easy to get upgraded as a Gold member in that case.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by YTZHomeBase
I was traveling on business to HKG last week and looking at the seats remaining in J class the morning of the flight I thought I had a good chance of getting an upgrade due to me SE status. .
As has been pointed out, you cannot count on courtesy upgrade on AC;
as an SE, you presumably have/had a choice of lots of eup's and investing them on such a long flight would seem to have been a good idea.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An upgrade is an upgrade from a fare that is not J, IMO.

If you really want/need /expect a J seat ,pay for it. Otherwise you will/could be seated in Y.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: *G
If the OP was expecting an op-up, no chance if Y space is available. Hence eligible staff will get J seats as per the rules.

Overall, however, there are staff and then there is management. The latter likely book J space, are not gate upgrades and are mostly unrecognizable, so we never know.

Now I did see a senior AC person with 2 family occupying 4 seats in J once, and a regular passenger in front of me pointedly asking an FA why he was not upgraded if there was a seat in J. Not sure exactly what the FA said, but she would have known who it was even if that poor passenger did not.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; Nexus 4 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.58 Mobile Safari/537.31)

Originally Posted by jarusoba
I'm frankly surprised by your comments re Thai Airways. From my non-airline colleagues who fly, they regularly claim that the Asian airlines are amongst the most restrictively discerning when it comes to upgrades. I was under the impression that if you want it, generally you must pay for it.
I got the same experience with Asiana. Y upgraded to J, not because of overbooking. Just because we're *G.^
12-year *G here.

I have been op-upped on NH, TG, OZ and SQ owing to group seating difficulties, inop cabin equipment, equipment subs, oversales or other operational issues.

I would respectfully submit that there may have been other factors at play in your upgrade scenario.

I agree the Asian *A carriers take *G seriously - they also tend to be pretty slick on the CS side.

I have been in situations where I knew the airline was in deep operationally (777 to A33 sub) and I was a likely op-up candidate.

In every case, I was op-upped with nary a nod to the operational issue and ALWAYS with a mention of my *G status. Sometimes with a deep bow from NH folks...

Contrast that with the Western practice of openly admitting, "We F-ed up! Lucky you! Enjoy and thanks for your business!"

I can get behind either philosophy as long as the end result is the same
Old May 2, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by canolakid
No ? Then how did I end up in 2A last Friday morning on YUL-LGA with a Flex fare when both front and back cabins were light ?

I never requested an UG via the usual channels (check-in, online, concierge, etc). I was simply waiting to board and was called to the gate desk and was given a BP for J.

I think that is what is known as a courtesy UG....
Old May 2, 2013, 1:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; Nexus 4 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.58 Mobile Safari/537.31)

Originally Posted by NordsFan
Originally Posted by canolakid
No ? Then how did I end up in 2A last Friday morning on YUL-LGA with a Flex fare when both front and back cabins were light ?

I never requested an UG via the usual channels (check-in, online, concierge, etc). I was simply waiting to board and was called to the gate desk and was given a BP for J.

E75/E90? Notorious for requiring full J cabins to satisfy W+B requirements.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by YYZC2

Yup, E75.

However, even though the UG was a result of W+B, the guy who was selected to get the J seat was me, the SE/MMer and not another pax plucked at random from the back.

In my book, that is a courtesy and a smart way of managing the issue.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:07 pm

Yup, E75.

However, even though the UG was a result of W+B, the guy who was selected to get the J seat was me, the SE/MMer and not another pax plucked at random from the back.

In my book, that is a courtesy and a smart way of managing the issue.
That's SOP, down to the letter.

I'm going to bow out of this thread, but I do feel safe in saying that there appears to be a lot of smoke and very little fire in these accounts. I think there is some confirmation bias in the mix, but I'm not sure if its mine or someone else's
Old May 2, 2013, 2:14 pm

That's SOP, down to the letter.

I'm going to bow out of this thread, but I do feel safe in saying that there appears to be a lot of smoke and very little fire in these accounts. I think there is some confirmation bias in the mix, but I'm not sure if its mine or someone else's
I'm very biased as about 99% of my experience flying AC over many years has been either neutral or fantastic.

So, I'll bow out too !
Old May 2, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: Free Agent

I said 'you can't count on' not that it never happens... hope you enjoyed the ride!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.