Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
works for me. I didnt claim it to be correct, rather I simply read it in a news article.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Had wifi on yvr-yow recently.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
It has been ridiculous that we have not been able to have wifi on AC flights with the rare exception of a few flights to LAX. AC is better than the US airlines in almost every way, but the trail woefully in this area. I was on a crappy Delta ATL-YYZ flight but at least it had wifi for less than $10.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wayner92
It has been ridiculous that we have not been able to have wifi on AC flights with the rare exception of a few flights to LAX. AC is better than the US airlines in almost every way, but the trail woefully in this area. I was on a crappy Delta ATL-YYZ flight but at least it had wifi for less than $10.
On US, I have wifi, but no power, so if my dual-battery laptop is fully charged before I get on the flight, I might make it through most of a trans-con.

On AC, I have power, but not wifi. So while my laptop stays alive, I have nothing to do on it

Power+wifi would be an awesome combination.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
No wifi on any of our legs for spring break. YYC-YUL-MCO. MCO-YYZ-YYC.

Sure wouldn't mind having wifi.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I can't imagine how unbearable flights must have been before Wifi

Personally for me, its a (rare) opportunity to disconnect from society, and a great excuse to not have to answer emails.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:38 am

GoGo wifi was available on AC777 for me in March, YYZ-SAN

Cost was $12.95 USD, for the laptop, although they offered a free trial on my iPhone.

Worked great, with one exception......face-time wouldn't connect on the iPhone
Old May 2, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I can't imagine how unbearable flights must have been before Wifi

Personally for me, its a (rare) opportunity to disconnect from society, and a great excuse to not have to answer emails.
For the most part I agree that I don't want to be answering emails but there are times when it would be nice to be able to IM my wife and family, to look up information, etc. That 15 hours from YYZ-HKG is a LONG TIME!

And there are times when I am doing work on my laptop or iPad and I forgot to download a file that it would be very useful.

The best would be to be able to stream Netflix or from my home HTPC but I don't think anyone would let you use up that much bandwidth.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
For the most part I agree that I don't want to be answering emails but there are times when it would be nice to be able to IM my wife and family, to look up information, etc. That 15 hours from YYZ-HKG is a LONG TIME!

And there are times when I am doing work on my laptop or iPad and I forgot to download a file that it would be very useful.

The best would be to be able to stream Netflix or from my home HTPC but I don't think anyone would let you use up that much bandwidth.
Inoperative technology is not airline specific.

Two recent flights..

LH FRA/YYZ (A340-600) & DL SFO/DTW (B757). WiFi was inoperative on both flights. Actually, a good opportunity to turn off the world for 9 hours and 3.5 hours respectively.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:11 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by mjschill
GoGo wifi was available on AC777 for me in March, YYZ-SAN

Cost was $12.95 USD, for the laptop, although they offered a free trial on my iPhone.

Worked great, with one exception......face-time wouldn't connect on the iPhone
No VOIP-type services are allowed, as per the FAQ.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:14 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)

The idea is to have a large amount of content in a server on-board, then stream it to users devices. See this from AA.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Bumping up an old thread - free WiFi last night on AC112 YVR-YUL.

Was apparently a promotion by AMEX, with free access for any device.

Speed was usable, and surprisingly fast considering that about 50% of the passengers seemed to be using it. I was even able to make a quick Skype call, which was not blocked.

I really hope this becomes a consistent thing on transcons at least. I'd be happy to pay for it. Time flies by so much quicker with WiFi ^
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gabdusch

Speed was usable, and surprisingly fast considering that about 50% of the passengers seemed to be using it. I was even able to make a quick Skype call, which was not blocked.

I really hope this becomes a consistent thing on transcons at least. I'd be happy to pay for it. Time flies by so much quicker with WiFi ^
I'm assuming this was Gogo... I thought the service did not work in Canada... only on flights over the US?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by gabdusch

I wonder if speed would be good enough to stream netflix. I would pay to be able to watch House of Cards onboard...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Was chatting with a flight attendant on my flight 1.5 weeks ago and she mentioned WiFi would be available soon on more flights. She seemed to think it would be free as a promo for the first three months or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.