Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sinalet
Anybody know if there's a list of FINs kicking around that are wifi-enabled? I know the original two 319s were 280 and 282. Curious how much of the 319/320/321 fleet is now wifi-enabled (namely wondering what aircraft variant I can maximize my likelihood to get wifi on).
No FIN list AFAIK. Based on personal experience...

E90's are basically all WIFI happy now. There's a few times YYZ YQR there were none, but outside of that route (I know FINs are tied per route), I seem to be lucky with the E90's

A319's I'm batting close to 100%
A320, I'm batting close to 50%
A321 (this surprises me), but I'm batting close to 100% (I know, I know!)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Overpriced Gogo Wifi SEA-YYZ on a E90, and no Wifi YYZ-YVR on a 320, all last week.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm 50% on E90 and 0% on everything else.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm 50% on E90 and 0% on everything else.
try another airline, even once break out of the shell. Delta and UA all have extensive wifi even on international flights.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Overpriced Gogo Wifi SEA-YYZ on a E90, and no Wifi YYZ-YVR on a 320, all last week.
SEA YYZ should have been around $20. I'm not sure how that is overpriced? That's the longest E90 flight that AC flies!

That's like more than 5 hours gate to gate IIRC (or around there). That's 4.5 hours of usable WIFI/FT.

So that works out to around $4/hour...that's not bad at all. Plus, on that route, the coverage and speed is quite good! Best Gogo $ I've ever spent was on that route!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by why fly
try another airline, even once break out of the shell. Delta and UA all have extensive wifi even on international flights.
Okay what does that have to do with this thread?

Also, what airline has WiFi and flies YOW-YYZ?

Please leave your .... elsewhere.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
I haven't read this whole thread but I do have a quick question - is there WiFi on widebody transcons (eg YYZ-YVR)?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
I haven't read this whole thread but I do have a quick question - is there WiFi on widebody transcons (eg YYZ-YVR)?
NO
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
No wifi on widebodies, at all.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:51 pm
Suspended

When is this project supposed to be completed again? I'm getting really tired of being on narrowbodies without Wifi. Last week - two narrowbodies. 1 with wifi (E90). Now i'm on a 320 without Wifi. Sigh.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
When is this project supposed to be completed again? I'm getting really tired of being on narrowbodies without Wifi. Last week - two narrowbodies. 1 with wifi (E90). Now i'm on a 320 without Wifi. Sigh.
They need to get proper satellite-based wifi on the entire fleet.

E90 YHZ-YYT? No wifi.

Wide-body anywhere? No wifi.

The longer the flight, the more I want wifi, so equipping the smaller aircraft is stupid. I don't need wifi on Rapidair.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

E90 YHZ-YYT? No wifi.

The longer the flight, the more I want wifi, so equipping the smaller aircraft is stupid. I don't need wifi on Rapidair.
Cost vs benefit. I almost always buy wifi on the transcons as I can be productive (or on FT)

My original question still stands though. When is it going to be done?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Cost vs benefit. I almost always buy wifi on the transcons as I can be productive (or on FT)
Yes, but think of how productive you could be on LHR-YYZ...

I'm seriously considering avoiding trans-oceanic flights on aircraft without wifi, because of how much better my flight experience is when I have internet access.

I've done UA and LH TATL, with wifi on all flights.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Yes, but think of how productive you could be on LHR-YYZ...

I'm seriously considering avoiding trans-oceanic flights on aircraft without wifi, because of how much better my flight experience is when I have internet access.

I've done UA and LH TATL, with wifi on all flights.
I agree. I just don't think it'll happen. I'm hoping my YYZ TPE flight will have wifi. (on BR of course). I dont see it happening on AC because they chose to go the non sat version and spent all the $ for the narrowbodies.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Irrelevant

E90 YHZ-YYT? No wifi.

"need" Why does AC "need" to get satellite based Internet access on their fleet? I can understand you "want" AC to deploy that type of access, but I can not see how AC "needs" to implement it.

I don't see AC implementing satellite based Internet access anytime time soon, the cost is just too high, especially since they have already committed to installing the terrestrial based system.

Aside from the few FT'ers, I wonder how large the customer base is for wifi on AC?

I do enjoy having wifi on the Rapidair flight though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.