Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Star Challenge" Promo on again 7Mar-10Apr 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Star Challenge" Promo on again 7Mar-10Apr 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Also make sure you have a Canadian "mailing" address on your Aeroplan account
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: *void
Someone's EXCITED to get started!!

I'd add this...apply for an Aero-affiliated card (CIBC Aerogold, TD Aeroplan, AMEX Aeroplan Plus), in case they offer the extra stars/points for carrying one of these cards during the Star Challenge promo.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
The other tip I would add is to order additional Aeroplan cards now from the website if you're collecting for multiple accounts, so each of the members in your group/family can carry each others cards for more efficient shopping. Same thing with Club Sobeys if you shop there.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by methodman
In 2013, the Aeroplan Star Challenge got me 25,000 Aeroplan miles x 2 cardholders, and was the only reason we got dBlack status for 2014.

In 2014, if Aeroplan launches the Aeroplan Star Challenge again, then it might begin again soon. To succeed, you'll need to be making multiple purchases every day. I found it critically important to start making purchases on Day 1.

Are you ready? Here's a checklist.

DO NOW

Get Sobeys cards. For each Aeroplan cardholder, get a Sobeys card. Be sure your preference is set to Aeroplan points. You may be making a lot of $10 purchases.

Get Esso Speedpasses. Each Aeroplan cardholder should have an Esso Speedpass dongle. There's a modest bonus offer on now: 400 Aeroplan miles when you start a Speedpass dongle. Having a Speedpass helps you easily make multiple small gas purchases at Esso. This way, you don't have to deal with attendants, and look like a miser who buys gas by the cup. Every few days during the challenges, I was buying $10 in gas on one dongle, and then $10 on the other cardholder's dongle. Two purchases, one stop.^ (Heck, if you're going for 3 or 4 cardholders, you can do that too.) It takes a few weeks for dongles to be mailed out, so order yours soon.

DO SOON

Gift cards. You may find yourself buying lots of gift cards at Esso or other merchants. Make a note of the cards you're most likely to be able to use.

Facebook. Whether or not you use Facebook, get a Facebook account that you can use only for promotions and contests like this. In the previous promo, you earned lots of stars by posting on social media. Now you can make posts and "like" things without bugging your friends. ^ This extra Facebook account of mine doesn't use my real name, has 0 friends, and I'm OK with that.

Twitter account. .Same goes for getting a Twitter account.. Easy stars.

PROJECTED DATES

2012 promo: ran from May 1 to May 28, 2012.
2013 promo: ran from March 7 to April 10, 2013.
2014 promo: ???

Good luck!

I am excited about the Star Challenge too! As soon as the new year started I was counting down the weeks until the challenge. Hopefully, they will do away with the $10 spending limit this year. I got a lot of stars through buying gift cards and I hope they don't nix that out right!

Thanks for all the tips!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
I am excited about the Star Challenge too! As soon as the new year started I was counting down the weeks until the challenge. Hopefully, they will do away with the $10 spending limit this year. I got a lot of stars through buying gift cards and I hope they don't nix that out right!

Thanks for all the tips!
I just hope that I will be in Canada for the challenge...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by corruptcanadian

Thanks for all the tips!
They said gift cards were no longer eligible partway through the previous contest. I had all my regular points for gift card purchases reversed, but the stars remained.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They said gift cards were no longer eligible partway through the previous contest. I had all my regular points for gift card purchases reversed, but the stars remained.
Some gift cards were still eligible at the end of the contest and are still eligible today (at least one kind)...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles, Alitalia, AA
New here on FlyerTalk, but super excited to participate in this year's Star Challenge. I successfully received 25,000 x 4! Drove myself, and the family crazy though!

I've begun priming them; gas tanks at half full!

I also hope they allow gift cards, might be the difference between being successful or failing.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Patrick Sojka over at RewardsCanada.ca reports:

"Some readers have asked whether the Aeroplan Star Challenge will return this year. All we can tell is yes it will but we do not have the time period yet."

So, nothing specific, but perhaps he's received a tip.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:36 pm
Formerly known as cindyrcollins

Programs: Aeroplan
This was posted by the Aeroplan contact on Aeroplan's Facebook page, Jason, in response to a question about star challenge:

There currently isn't anything to announce with regards to any contests taking place down the line.
Thanks,
Jason

Hope that is not true! Star challenges gave me huge points boosts, even though I ran around like an idiot getting stars. I guess they would have announced it by now, it's been mid-March to mid-April for the past two years.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by cindyrcollins
This was posted by the Aeroplan contact on Aeroplan's Facebook page, Jason, in response to a question about star challenge:

There currently isn't anything to announce with regards to any contests taking place down the line.
Thanks,
Jason

Hope that is not true! Star challenges gave me huge points boosts, even though I ran around like an idiot getting stars. I guess they would have announced it by now, it's been mid-March to mid-April for the past two years.
You hope it's not true that they don't have anything to announce yet?

He didn't say there isn't going to be one, he gave the typical marketing line of "No comment."
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:35 pm
Formerly known as cindyrcollins

Programs: Aeroplan
Obviously, I hope the star challenge is announced soon. I don't see the word "yet" in that statement. Not looking to start a debate, just not sure if everyone is on Facebook and saw that response.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:38 am
FB_

Programs: AP
No 2014 Star Challenge?

I wonder if they are going to run a 2014 Star Challenge

Last year it started in March.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by FB_
I wonder if they are going to run a 2014 Star Challenge

Last year it started in March.
Yes, but the year before that I think it was in April
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:20 pm

From my previous post...

Originally Posted by methodman
PROJECTED DATES

2012 promo: ran from May 1 to May 28, 2012.
2013 promo: ran from March 7 to April 10, 2013.
2014 promo: ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.