Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Does TK charge YQ to its own TK award tickets?
That would be a question better asked in the FT TK forum.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Does TK charge YQ to its own TK award tickets?
yes they do.

This is not a criteria for Air Canada charging YQ.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AC Elite, *Alliance Gold, Marriott Elite Silver
dont worry

If it makes you feel any better, I also transferred a boat load of SPG to AC and was hit by scamcharges. You live and learn, I could've transferred those SPG to a few other S* partners and would have had the exact same itinerary with no YQ.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Fly AC with no scamcharges!

For some reason, there has been little discussion of the fact that you can book seats on all-AC flights using UA miles and pay only the minimum mandatory fees (airport charges, etc., but no YQ).

For instance, YYZ-ZRH-YYZ in economy (AC878/AC879)
booked on Aeroplan.com - total fees = CAD$586.66 + 60,000 miles
booked on United.com - total fees = USD$96.60 + 60,000 miles

This is for the exact same flights/dates, both are on AC metal. Why is AC not charging YQ to United, but is charging it to Aeroplan?

This makes no sense at all!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
For some reason, there has been little discussion of the fact that you can book seats on all-AC flights using UA miles and pay only the minimum mandatory fees (airport charges, etc., but no YQ).

This is for the exact same flights/dates, both are on AC metal. Why is AC not charging YQ to United, but is charging it to Aeroplan?

AE/AC was never in the business to make sense, but make money

There are a few "I'm leaving Aeroplan" threads though, due to this exact dilema, where UA miles are way more valuable than AE miles

Today's blog post from lucky @ OneMileAtATime values AE at 1.3 cents, and UA miles at 1.8 cents, for such reasons
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by jerryhung
AE/AC was never in the business to make sense, but make money

There are a few "I'm leaving Aeroplan" threads though, due to this exact dilema, where UA miles are way more valuable than AE miles

Today's blog post from lucky @ OneMileAtATime values AE at 1.3 cents, and UA miles at 1.8 cents, for such reasons
Yeah, I've seen many of the posts from people leaving Aeroplan to go to United, but I did not realize it was to still fly on AC!

I keep getting stuck in the loop of "it's not rational". Your point is well-taken. Rational has nothing to do with some businesses. Nor does ethical.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Can anyone offer some advice on (what to me is) a strange situation?

I want to book a simple YWG-CDG reward flight in J for spring 2014. There is decent availability on US and UA, with the occasional LX flight on the outbound portion of the trip.

However, the return flights are almost invariably AC and LS only. This drives the fees up from about $200 pp on a US/UA itinerary to over $600 pp for AC. I don't feel like paying an extra $450 for the "privilege" of taking AC, but I can't find any availability on US/UA/LX on the return leg. Even the UA website doesn't reveal anything, and other French airports are either the same situation or even worse.

How can there be a seemingly large number of J seats on US/UA/LX heading east but next to nothing heading west? Who occupies all those westbound seats on US/UA/LX flights? I don't get it...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus

How can there be a seemingly large number of J seats on US/UA/LX heading east but next to nothing heading west? Who occupies all those westbound seats on US/UA/LX flights? I don't get it...
You may be looking too early. AC releases seats about 25 days before UA/US do (330 days out)

check united.com to see how far those are currently available for awards, my guess is not past the end of February.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You may be looking too early. AC releases seats about 25 days before UA/US do (330 days out)

check united.com to see how far those are currently available for awards, my guess is not past the end of February.
I forgot to add that even though my travel dates will be in April 2014 (which isn't availabile as yet), I've begun tracking flights in Jan/Feb/Mar just to get a sense of what's available.

Even in January there is a fair amount of availability on eastbound UA/US flights (with the odd LX), but virtually nothing on westbound. I haven't checked mid-week departures as I'd like to ideally keep travel on the weekend, but it is really frustrating how the system virtually forces you on to a scamcharge flight on the return.

United.com shows more or less the same thing... even in Jan 2014 the westbound saver flights in J are almost exclusively on AC/LH, except with no scamcharges
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: Nexus
It is not the airlines, charging you these, it is Air Canada as the ticketing carrier.

Scamcharges are collected and pocketed by Air Canada on the following airlines:

AC
LH
NH
OZ
TG
OS
LO
TP
JP
SN

Matrix is generally accurate - however Aeroplan may break down the YQ by segment - For example if going SIN-BKK-NRT - Matrix will have YQ for the entire fare - but Aeroplan will charge you seperate YQ for each segment.
Is the above list still accurate? ie have there been any 'enhanced' additions?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmgalan
Is the above list still accurate? ie have there been any 'enhanced' additions?
The only thing that seemed to have changed is that AC now pockets route-based or segment-based YQ, depending on which is higher.

For example, if you book YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, they will pocket YQ for YYZ-AKL, not YYZ-NRT (for just the AC segment)
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by GJS - yow

Truly whiskey tango foxtrot.... I wish I can transfer my AP miles over to UA...

The only thing that seemed to have changed is that AC now pockets route-based or segment-based YQ, depending on which is higher.

For example, if you book YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, they will pocket YQ for YYZ-AKL, not YYZ-NRT (for just the AC segment)
Another whiskey tango foxtrot.... So in order to avoid scam charges, one has to make sure reward on airline that doesn't collect scamcharges? (e.g. taking UA to US first?)
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Truly whiskey tango foxtrot.... I wish I can transfer my AP miles over to UA...
That differential treatment to me is the biggest slap in the face to AE customers of all.

If AC is truly the one levying the "fees" here, then why does it only levy them on AE rewards? Only AE customers get hosed for redeeming on AC flights, which is telling.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Only AE customers get hosed for redeeming on AC flights, which is telling.
Not really, M&M, KF, ROP, M&B, and about 15 others in Star Alliance also charge YQ, and have done so for ages.

And its not just AC flights - its WORLDWIDE.

At least with AE, you can still carefully hand pick your non-YQ flights.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:31 pm

Not really, M&M, KF, ROP, M&B, and about 15 others in Star Alliance also charge YQ, and have done so for ages.

And its not just AC flights - its WORLDWIDE.

At least with AE, you can still carefully hand pick your non-YQ flights.
I meant between M&M and AE customers booking on AC flights, only AE customers get dinged. It is painful to use the UA website and see that a flight to CPH or wherever comes with a huge pricetag well into the hundreds on AE but only $95 or whatever through M&M. Same seat, same flight. Super annoying.

Anyway, it is nice to pick non-YQ flights, but a) what a PITA, and b) how much longer will that even last?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.