Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 2012, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum

I am about to convert my AMEX to points to aeroplan miles.

As far as I know Turkish United and US still don't charge fuel surcharges correct?

Any other that I am missing? Does matrix give accurate fuel surcharges for award tickets on European carriers?
Old May 6, 2012, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by aarato

As far as I know Turkish United and US still don't charge fuel surcharges correct?
It is not the airlines, charging you these, it is Air Canada as the ticketing carrier.

Scamcharges are collected and pocketed by Air Canada on the following airlines:

AC
LH
NH
OZ
TG
OS
LO
TP
JP
SN

Matrix is generally accurate - however Aeroplan may break down the YQ by segment - For example if going SIN-BKK-NRT - Matrix will have YQ for the entire fare - but Aeroplan will charge you seperate YQ for each segment.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm Reason: add SN & JP to list
Old May 8, 2012, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Thanks, I am trying to plan am rtw and minimize YQ as much as possible ex ORD.

ORD-NRT-BKK on UA
BKK-IST-BUD-IST-ORD on TK

Is this valid?
Old May 8, 2012, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I am trying to plan am rtw and minimize YQ as much as possible ex ORD.

ORD-NRT-BKK on UA
BKK-IST-BUD-IST-ORD on TK

Is this valid?
NO

IST twice is no go.
You would have to do BUD-ZRH-EWR/IAD/YUL-ORD for YQ free flights.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
It is not the airlines, charging you these, it is Air Canada as the ticketing carrier.

Scamcharges are collected and pocketed by Air Canada on the following airlines:
Once more you are charging AC with fraud and in effect theft. Can you please provide evidence that the Fuel Surcharges are indeed kept by AC and not passed along to the respective carrier(s) as is the case with revenue tickets...as well as explain if this is AC's doing, why it is only applied to certain carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF programs?
Old May 8, 2012, 8:29 am

Interesting the LH has YQ charges but LX doesn't.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Once more you are charging AC with fraud and in effect theft. Can you please provide evidence that the Fuel Surcharges are indeed kept by AC and not passed along to the respective carrier(s) as is the case with revenue tickets...as well as explain if this is AC's doing, why it is only applied to certain carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF programs?
Aeroplan has stated the charges were requested by the ticketing carrier. That is Air Canada. Thats where the money trail ends, until evidence is presented otherwise.

As for carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF program - thats BS as well - LOT does not charge YQ on their redemptions to their own M&M members - yet AC does on LOT
TK does charge YQ - yet AC does not.

It has nothing to do with carriers charging their own members - its arbitrary based on some caluclation AC did.

And none of this was requested by the carriers (LH/NH/TG) overnight - because, unless AC is special, they would have requested same of UA/US - which then wouldve passed it onto the customer - unless of course they are eating the cost everytime they book an LH/TG/etc award ticket.........
Old May 8, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Any other that I am missing? Does matrix give accurate fuel surcharges for award tickets on European carriers?
Similar thread for what you're looking for:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-carriers.html

Matrix gives accurate fuel surcharge for revenue tickets, but this may not apply to redemption tickets. For example, you will see SK/LX charging fuel surcharge on paid tickets, but zero on award tickets.
Old May 11, 2012, 5:52 am

great tip

Originally Posted by sllee
Similar thread for what you're looking for:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-carriers.html

Matrix gives accurate fuel surcharge for revenue tickets, but this may not apply to redemption tickets. For example, you will see SK/LX charging fuel surcharge on paid tickets, but zero on award tickets.
thanks for this
Old May 11, 2012, 8:30 am

That is correct.

I recently booked the following using USAirways Miles:

YYZ > FRA LH J
FRA > BKK TG F
BKK > DXB TG J
DXB > FRA LH J
FRA > YYZ AC J

Total taxes and fees: $161.98and 140K miles ^
Old May 11, 2012, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by imverge
That is correct.

I recently booked the following using USAirways Miles:

YYZ > FRA LH J
FRA > BKK TG F
BKK > DXB TG J
DXB > FRA LH J
FRA > YYZ AC J

Total taxes and fees: $161.98and 140K miles ^
Did you get to stop in DXB or is that a transfer?
Old May 11, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I think it is a crappy thing to do and a complete devaluation of the program, but don't think it is fraud or theft. As rankourabu said, they never said they were collecting on behalf of the airlines operating the flights or that they were passing it on to them, they only said that the ticketing carrier (AC) was collecting.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by concol
Did you get to stop in DXB or is that a transfer?
DXB is a stop
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Aeroplan has stated the charges were requested by the ticketing carrier. That is Air Canada. Thats where the money trail ends, until evidence is presented otherwise.

As for carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF program - thats BS as well - LOT does not charge YQ on their redemptions to their own M&M members - yet AC does on LOT
TK does charge YQ - yet AC does not.

It has nothing to do with carriers charging their own members - its arbitrary based on some caluclation AC did.

And none of this was requested by the carriers (LH/NH/TG) overnight - because, unless AC is special, they would have requested same of UA/US - which then wouldve passed it onto the customer - unless of course they are eating the cost everytime they book an LH/TG/etc award ticket.........
Absolutely correct. Thank you for posting.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Absolutely correct. Thank you for posting.
Can you prove that AC is stealing this money and not passing it on to these carriers? If it is doing this, why not collect for every award and not just those carriers who themselves levy the surcharge on their own members' rewards?

I have challenged those who make this allegation to take AC to Consumer Affairs Canada where this can be proven and if true, AC fined and forced to refund these charges. None of you have made the move so I can only assume you know what you are saying is untrue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.