Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 18, 15, 10:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: imverge
Wiki Link
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)


*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.


Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old May 6, 12, 5:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Posts: 323
carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

I am about to convert my AMEX to points to aeroplan miles.

As far as I know Turkish United and US still don't charge fuel surcharges correct?

Any other that I am missing? Does matrix give accurate fuel surcharges for award tickets on European carriers?
aarato is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 12, 5:47 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, AA EXP, BA Gold, Fairmont Plat, MR/SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 19,810
Originally Posted by aarato View Post

As far as I know Turkish United and US still don't charge fuel surcharges correct?
It is not the airlines, charging you these, it is Air Canada as the ticketing carrier.

Scamcharges are collected and pocketed by Air Canada on the following airlines:

AC
LH
NH
OZ
TG
OS
LO
TP
JP
SN


Matrix is generally accurate - however Aeroplan may break down the YQ by segment - For example if going SIN-BKK-NRT - Matrix will have YQ for the entire fare - but Aeroplan will charge you seperate YQ for each segment.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 23, 13 at 10:10 pm Reason: add SN & JP to list
rankourabu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 5:02 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Posts: 323
Thanks, I am trying to plan am rtw and minimize YQ as much as possible ex ORD.

ORD-NRT-BKK on UA
BKK-IST-BUD-IST-ORD on TK

Is this valid?
aarato is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 5:10 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, AA EXP, BA Gold, Fairmont Plat, MR/SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 19,810
Originally Posted by aarato View Post
Thanks, I am trying to plan am rtw and minimize YQ as much as possible ex ORD.

ORD-NRT-BKK on UA
BKK-IST-BUD-IST-ORD on TK

Is this valid?
NO

IST twice is no go.
You would have to do BUD-ZRH-EWR/IAD/YUL-ORD for YQ free flights.
rankourabu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 8:24 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,888
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
It is not the airlines, charging you these, it is Air Canada as the ticketing carrier.

Scamcharges are collected and pocketed by Air Canada on the following airlines:
Once more you are charging AC with fraud and in effect theft. Can you please provide evidence that the Fuel Surcharges are indeed kept by AC and not passed along to the respective carrier(s) as is the case with revenue tickets...as well as explain if this is AC's doing, why it is only applied to certain carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF programs?
Shareholder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 8:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YYZ
Posts: 368
Interesting the LH has YQ charges but LX doesn't.
concol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 8:36 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, AA EXP, BA Gold, Fairmont Plat, MR/SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 19,810
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Once more you are charging AC with fraud and in effect theft. Can you please provide evidence that the Fuel Surcharges are indeed kept by AC and not passed along to the respective carrier(s) as is the case with revenue tickets...as well as explain if this is AC's doing, why it is only applied to certain carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF programs?
Aeroplan has stated the charges were requested by the ticketing carrier. That is Air Canada. Thats where the money trail ends, until evidence is presented otherwise.

As for carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF program - thats BS as well - LOT does not charge YQ on their redemptions to their own M&M members - yet AC does on LOT
TK does charge YQ - yet AC does not.

It has nothing to do with carriers charging their own members - its arbitrary based on some caluclation AC did.

And none of this was requested by the carriers (LH/NH/TG) overnight - because, unless AC is special, they would have requested same of UA/US - which then wouldve passed it onto the customer - unless of course they are eating the cost everytime they book an LH/TG/etc award ticket.........
rankourabu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 3:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR
Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by aarato View Post
Any other that I am missing? Does matrix give accurate fuel surcharges for award tickets on European carriers?
Similar thread for what you're looking for:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-carriers.html

Matrix gives accurate fuel surcharge for revenue tickets, but this may not apply to redemption tickets. For example, you will see SK/LX charging fuel surcharge on paid tickets, but zero on award tickets.
sllee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 12, 5:52 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
great tip

Originally Posted by sllee View Post
Similar thread for what you're looking for:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-carriers.html

Matrix gives accurate fuel surcharge for revenue tickets, but this may not apply to redemption tickets. For example, you will see SK/LX charging fuel surcharge on paid tickets, but zero on award tickets.
thanks for this
basejump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 12, 8:30 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,002
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
It is not the airlines, charging you these, it is Air Canada as the ticketing carrier.
That is correct.

I recently booked the following using USAirways Miles:

YYZ > FRA LH J
FRA > BKK TG F
BKK > DXB TG J
DXB > FRA LH J
FRA > YYZ AC J

Total taxes and fees: $161.98and 140K miles
imverge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 12, 8:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YYZ
Posts: 368
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
That is correct.

I recently booked the following using USAirways Miles:

YYZ > FRA LH J
FRA > BKK TG F
BKK > DXB TG J
DXB > FRA LH J
FRA > YYZ AC J

Total taxes and fees: $161.98and 140K miles
Did you get to stop in DXB or is that a transfer?
concol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 12, 9:45 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: YYZ / IAH
Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
Posts: 2,955
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Once more you are charging AC with fraud and in effect theft. Can you please provide evidence that the Fuel Surcharges are indeed kept by AC and not passed along to the respective carrier(s) as is the case with revenue tickets...as well as explain if this is AC's doing, why it is only applied to certain carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF programs?
I think it is a crappy thing to do and a complete devaluation of the program, but don't think it is fraud or theft. As rankourabu said, they never said they were collecting on behalf of the airlines operating the flights or that they were passing it on to them, they only said that the ticketing carrier (AC) was collecting.
yyzgigi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 12, 12:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,002
Originally Posted by concol View Post
Did you get to stop in DXB or is that a transfer?
DXB is a stop
imverge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 12, 1:55 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Posts: 24,491
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Aeroplan has stated the charges were requested by the ticketing carrier. That is Air Canada. Thats where the money trail ends, until evidence is presented otherwise.

As for carriers which themselves levy the fuel surcharge on award tickets drawn on their own FF program - thats BS as well - LOT does not charge YQ on their redemptions to their own M&M members - yet AC does on LOT
TK does charge YQ - yet AC does not.

It has nothing to do with carriers charging their own members - its arbitrary based on some caluclation AC did.

And none of this was requested by the carriers (LH/NH/TG) overnight - because, unless AC is special, they would have requested same of UA/US - which then wouldve passed it onto the customer - unless of course they are eating the cost everytime they book an LH/TG/etc award ticket.........
Absolutely correct. Thank you for posting.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 12, 5:03 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,888
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Absolutely correct. Thank you for posting.
Can you prove that AC is stealing this money and not passing it on to these carriers? If it is doing this, why not collect for every award and not just those carriers who themselves levy the surcharge on their own members' rewards?

I have challenged those who make this allegation to take AC to Consumer Affairs Canada where this can be proven and if true, AC fined and forced to refund these charges. None of you have made the move so I can only assume you know what you are saying is untrue.
Shareholder is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread