Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jerryhung
SN has YQ, sadly
It doesn't, check yourself
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:50 am

Confirmed SN has no YQ:

Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tng11
Confirmed SN has no YQ:

I wonder if you can copy the actual tabulated list of surcharges, for this ticket - we can not do so, from your post. However, at least with Aeroplan, the usual fuel surcharge for a trip across the Atlantic is at least $100 in each direction, so I can deduce that you were not charged the fuel surcharge.

I wonder if one can have fuel surcharges with one of an Aeroplan ticket and a paid ticket (for nonAC flights), but not both.

I believe you ticket was a classic award, not a classic plus award.

I state that, because there have been indications on this forum that the fuel surcharge is not charged for a classic plus award, but it is charged for a classic award.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I wonder if you can copy the actual tabulated list of surcharges, for this ticket - we can not do so, from your post. However, at least with Aeroplan, the usual fuel surcharge for a trip across the Atlantic is at least $100 in each direction, so I can deduce that you were not charged the fuel surcharge.

I wonder if one can have fuel surcharges with one of an Aeroplan ticket and a paid ticket (for nonAC flights), but not both.

I believe you ticket was a classic award, not a classic plus award.

I state that, because there have been indications on this forum that the fuel surcharge is not charged for a classic plus award, but it is charged for a classic award.
This is not a classic award - those are AC-only anyways. If it was - it wouldn't be 60,000 miles one-way?

For the one-way:

For a round-trip (IAD-BRU return)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
yes, classic and classic plus awards signify awards with at least some flights with AC.

SN does not fly to/from Canada. I wonder if Aeroplan was implying (when it stated that there is a surcharge with awards with SN flights) that there is a fuel surcharge, if the flights to/from ultimate destination include Canada, and/or AC is part of the itinerary.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
yes, classic and classic plus awards signify awards with at least some flights with AC.

SN does not fly to/from Canada. I wonder if Aeroplan was implying (when it stated that there is a surcharge with awards with SN flights) that there is a fuel surcharge, if the flights to/from ultimate destination include Canada, and/or AC is part of the itinerary.
i recently booked a mini-RTW involving SN (IAD-BRU) and I can confirm that there is no YQ (I was not charged YQ on any of my other segments as well)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:22 pm

That is great news, not sure why there was contracting google results online

I believe SN flies JFK-BRU and IAD-BRU, which is great for N.A.-Europe TATL flights if one can't find YUL-ZRH or YYZ-WAW no-YQ flights
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Did UA itineraries get a bit of a YQ bump?

I was planning to reschedule a AE redemption for YWG-CHS from February to the fall (all UA metal), and even though I paid $128 on 2 pax when I booked a few months ago, I can't seem to find an itinerary for under $217 now. Quite a sharp jump over just a few months. So much for UA...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Did UA itineraries get a bit of a YQ bump?

I was planning to reschedule a AE redemption for YWG-CHS from February to the fall (all UA metal), and even though I paid $128 on 2 pax when I booked a few months ago, I can't seem to find an itinerary for under $217 now. Quite a sharp jump over just a few months. So much for UA...
Thats not right. UA doesnt have YQ on domestic itineraries. Apart from the tax that AC should not be charging (US Transport Tax) - what else are they scamming you on?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:15 pm

By any chance are they building in the change fee into that?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:43 pm

The fee isn't what I was quoted by an operator, it's the standard surcharges I see when I look up availability on aeroplan.com. The kicker is that the $128 fee for the original flight actually involved a leg on AC (YYZ-YWG), this one is strictly UA!

YWG-CHS, Nov. 4-8, all UA metal:

Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $12.10
Canada Goods And Service Tax $1.86
U.S. International Transportation Tax $37.60
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00 U.S.
Customs User Fee $6.00
U.S.A Immigration User Fee $7.70
U.S Agriculture Fee $5.50
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee $8.10
U.S Passenger Facility Charge $4.90
Total per passenger $108.76
Total passengers 2 $217.52
Total airport taxes, fees and surcharges (CAD)$217.5

That's well above what I've paid for UA itineraries to the US before. At this rate UA will be no better than AC by next year
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The fee isn't what I was quoted by an operator, it's the standard surcharges I see when I look up availability on aeroplan.com. The kicker is that the $128 fee for the original flight actually involved a leg on AC (YYZ-YWG), this one is strictly UA!

YWG-CHS, Nov. 4-8, all UA metal:

Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $12.10
Canada Goods And Service Tax $1.86
U.S. International Transportation Tax $37.60
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00 U.S.
Customs User Fee $6.00
U.S.A Immigration User Fee $7.70
U.S Agriculture Fee $5.50
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee $8.10
U.S Passenger Facility Charge $4.90
Total per passenger $108.76
Total passengers 2 $217.52
Total airport taxes, fees and surcharges (CAD)$217.5

That's well above what I've paid for UA itineraries to the US before. At this rate UA will be no better than AC by next year
ok, you are not getting it - this has nothing to do with UA.
You are paying actual taxes. There is no scamcharges, or YQ, or fuel surcharge or whatever here.

The only thing that should not be charged is the $37.60 US transport tax. I have no idea where AC is sending that money - but it sure isnt to the US government, as its not required on award (zero price) tickets.

This has been an ongoing scam by AC, regardless of the transborder carrier.

You are also paying a 10% increase due to the US dollar exchange rate vs a few months ago.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok, you are not getting it - this has nothing to do with UA.
You are paying actual taxes. There is no scamcharges, or YQ, or fuel surcharge or whatever here.

The only thing that should not be charged is the $37.60 US transport tax. I have no idea where AC is sending that money - but it sure isnt to the US government, as its not required on award (zero price) tickets.

This has been an ongoing scam by AC, regardless of the transborder carrier.

You are also paying a 10% increase due to the US dollar exchange rate vs a few months ago.
All I can say is that I paid $128 for 2 YWG-CHS Y AE redemptions with all but one segment on UA (the other being AC). Now the same itinerary 9 months later is substantially higher - almost $100 more. Why?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:54 am

All I can say is that I paid $128 for 2 YWG-CHS Y AE redemptions with all but one segment on UA (the other being AC). Now the same itinerary 9 months later is substantially higher - almost $100 more. Why?
Perhaps if you could also post your previous charges breakdown, then we can truly compare?

There's no winning when it comes to AC charging us fees @@
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Maybe an agent mis-priced your original itinerary as $100-120 is standard going rate on UA/US transborder, AC usually come out close to $200 with the YQ add on. I have an itinerary booked which was manually ticketed and the agent forgot a bunch of charges.

I understand that as AP is a spun off company, unrelated to AC, the US government does not deem it to be a frequent flyer programme and hence the tax add on, we will check that out if/when M&M is spun off.

The ff tax exemption is rather specious to be honest, I mean US Air sells miles like hotcakes which then purchase tickets via this mileage currency, unsure why this should create a tax exemption, how many miles are actually still earned from flying system-wide, 20?!?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.