Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:24 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
The new changes are dissapointing for Es earning less than 75k, but I appriciate the early notice.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So now it's got me wondering if there will be an 'Elite' tier and if so which one it will be and what that means for MM fliers?
Interesting question. MM should get the 50k level, unless they save that for the 2MM. Hopefully they've already thought of that.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So now it's got me wondering if there will be an 'Elite' tier and if so which one it will be and what that means for MM fliers?
Here is the answer from FAQ

How do these changes affect the status awarded as part of my qualification towards the Million Mile program?

Members who have earned Million Mile recognition will continue to enjoy benefits similar to those awarded upon their initial qualification: If your status is to never fall below Elite, in 2013 you will be entitled to the same recognition as those members who earn 50,000 Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments. Of course, you will still be entitled to qualify for a higher level of recognition based on your annual flight activities.
If your status is to never fall below Super Elite, in 2013 you will be entitled to the same recognition as those members who earn 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments.
The Million Mile Program will not change, including the special benefits awarded to qualifying members. All of the terms and conditions of the Million Mile Program continue to apply.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 7E7
What about early status recognition?

Just received the email.
From AC - Yes. Although we are introducing new qualification levels for the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program, you will still be able to enjoy early status recognition. When you earn:
35,000 Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments, including the applicable Air Canada Minimum Flight Requirement, prior to October 15, 2012, you will be awarded 2012 Air Canada Elite status immediately, valid through February 28, 2013.
100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments, including the applicable Air Canada Minimum Flight Requirement, prior to October 15, 2012, you will be awarded 2012 Air Canada Super Elite status immediately, valid through February 28, 2013.
You will also qualify for 2013 Air Canada Top Tier status, based on the total number of Status Miles and Status Flight Segments earned by the end of 2012.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Interested to find out what the exclusive threshold program is at 75k. Since they gutted the threshold program this year with elimination of gift at 150k, wonder what they're giving here.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
MM Status for new tiers

I second this question. What status will MM members receive as their lifetime benefit. The key will be to retain Star Alliance Gold, as this is the true value of the program. Can someone from AC please confirm?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE
I wonder if AC will ever have DEQM promotion now?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM

I'm wondering the same thing. My flying will drastically decrease in 2012 but I was comforted a bit by the fact that I still had my Lifetime Elite status. Hopefully the originally announced benefits as a ACMM'er will remain unchanged.

While the changes will be a benefit for those flying between 50,000 and 100,000 miles each year, anyone who became Elite flying 35,000 - 50,000 miles/year, have now dropped down the ladder to the 4th position. Not a lot of incentive for them to keep flying AC, especially with the loss of *G status.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Nice to see updates is finally posted. And as expected E is now 50k. For me, mostly I can only do 40k/yr. And with 35k level in 2013 only M fare for international upgrade (and very low on priority) means there isn't any chances I can use that benefit. Unless I can do 50k in 2012 otherwise I'm going A3 for sure. At least I can get *G status....

Problem is I don't have enough vacation days left for another ~15-17k trip....

And even I make it at 50k, there are still 2 tiers above me.

Glad I made it to SE for 2012 because of unusual circumstances this year. I will enjoy it while I can..
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by superabe
I travel for vacation only and average 35k +/- 5 for the past5 years. Whenever I was short, I'd do a mileage run to get Elite.
With the downgrade of the current Elite benefits for 2013, is MR really worth it to get Elite at 35K. The most valued benefit, upgrade for international destinations, now requires Y or M fares, which often are closed to or higher than Z fare, so the upgrade benefit for international J is practically gone. Also with the LMU having priority over eupgrade, the upgrade benefit is further diluted.

The majority of other benefits can be had with American Express for $499. I'm not sure there is such value for the extra $ and time for MR to get Elite at 35K?

Now if you are at 45K+, the situation is entirely different and much more worthwhile for MR to get to 50K+!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:37 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LAman

While the changes will be a benefit for those flying between 50,000 and 100,000 miles each year, anyone who became Elite flying 35,000 - 50,000 miles/year, have now dropped down the ladder to the 4th position. Not a lot of incentive for them to keep flying AC, especially with the loss of *G status.
Depending on the amount of Tier bonus, and how they structured the Eupgrade selection, it could be either a win or loss for those flying between 50k and 75k as they will be in a lower upgrade priority comparing to those with more than 75k, but there would be less competition from those who fly less than 50k.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Love the structure - although I think it may be one tier too much (35K?). Anyways, would have been much happier to see a level at 150K too. P, P+, E, E+, SE, SE+, per se.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:39 am

On a business level, I'm very curious to the economics behind all this. I assume AC models the impact of every change in a strategy to reduce costs, but it just seems like the whole process is so complex. Every year there is constant little rule change here, and little rule changes here. The team at AC puts a huge amount of thought into these decisions.

If so much thinking is behind the process, I would love to know what the long term goal is behind everything. Is it really just simply to dilute benefits gradually over a long period of time so the pain is less noticable, or is there some bigger picture motivating decisions. For an example, maybe SE's have been identified as significant revenue generators whose business is worthy of keeping, while E's only have marginal economic impacts yet receive a lot of costly benefits.

I guess it would just be nice to know that there is a long term strategy here to retain important customers, and that if I dedicate my business to AC I'm not going to regret it 10 years from now.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:42 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Obviously a well thought out plan and I appreciate the advance notice. I think I would have been quite upset if they imposed this on us for 2012.

As a 40k a year self funded flyer, it's disappointing to see that the only way ahead was through take aways.

I'm also disappointed to see the upgrades to business disappear for the bottom fare buckets for international. Especially since it is a near impossible exercise to redeem J seats on AE points in my opinion. I also think this will make the attempts to get a pod domestically almost impossible as many will be competing for that experience.

Sadly, the program in its current offering doesn't make me want to spend more to achieve 50k for benefits that I had at 35k. Perhaps a $500 credit card will be better value to get me into those MLL's instead.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
If E is going to require 50k of flying per year, I'd like for domestic Tango to earn at least partial EQMs.

Overall I don't like these changes. 5-tiered Elite programme? Seriously? AC is a small airline compared to the US airlines which have 4 elite tiers to "thin out" the elites. No other airline has 2 *S tiers, and I can only think of one (VN) which has two silver tiers at all. I would prefer it if it stayed at 3 tiers like most airlines. I'm glad I'm not flying AC anymore next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.